• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco brute 75

May 20, 2019
What is the correct way to set the input tuner i Maco? The one that sets between the relay and the resister that goes to pin 9 on the tube. Jim/238

I had one of those maco 75 amps operative word is HAD! That was the biggest splatter box I ever had. Out the door it went!

DSC00098.JPG Got the Brute working, but still have one more problem. Have moved the inside tune to the front. With a dead key it has two peaks, as nomadradio says it should. But when i do the mod tune, with modulation, it goes up as you turn. But it turns all the way clockwise an hits the stop,witch is no mesh at all. So what do i do to fix that? Jim/238

Ah, if you were to set the Load control at the halfway point, and then turn the plate-tune knob that's been moved to the front, will that knob show a peak at all?

It sounds to me as if the amplifier is being peaked not at 27 MHz, but at the second-harmonic frequency 54 MHz.

I would first try setting the Load control at the halfway point, and then turning the plate tune control to see if it will show a peak.

At least that should get the output circuit closer to 27 MHz.

The usual means of "fine-tuning" to get a proper peak on the plate-tune control is to tweak the output coil connected between the tune cap and the load cap.

First step is to determine which way to tweak it, for more or for less inductance.

The position where the tune control shows a peak is the guide for this.

Might have a look to see if any disc capacitors have been wired in parallel with the Load control. Would affect where that knob shows a peak.

Put the coils close for more & spread for less correct? Do you move the wire for the tune where it contacts output coil? I have seen this on some Maco amps. Jim/238

Put the coils close for more & spread for less correct?

That's the deal. Closer makes the coil's magnetic field stronger, raises the inductance of the coil. When the stretch or squeeze solution won't bring the tune control into range, jumpering around one or more turns is the next step, or moving an existing jumper the other way to put more turns in the circuit.

The old timers called this process 'cut and try'.

Reactions: Crusher and Tokin
I think my biggest mistake is leaving the load all the way to the right, no mesh at all. Jim/238

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.