• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco M103 vs Maco Y-Quad

007_man

Apr 29, 2011
Savannah,Tennessee
I know both are similar as far as statistics go. Which is better? I talk mostly local, skip every once in a while. I plan on using a 40' push up pole. I currently run a IMAX. Never owned or operated a beam. I've been in radios for a while now. A beam, I'm totally new to them. So bear with me as I ask dumb questions. Is the Y-Quad really worth spending the extra $$$ (another coax).

The M-103 can be more efficient and effective than the Y-Quad depending on installation IMO.

If you've never had a beam, then you might be a little surprised at how big they are in real life.

If you have neighbors nearby, you might get strange looks and/or complaints.

A beam can be an expensive setup too, so consider what you can.

If it was me......I would go with the Yagi, lots simpler to put together and easier to maintain.

Larry, I agree.

I have a question and a favor regarding your I-10K.

I think you're in a sparsely populated area so this might not work out for you, but if you have somebody nearby, local so to speak, that also has a horizontal beam, and maybe as well a vertical up and working like you, could you do a few simple signal tests with him, comparing each of your horizontal signals to your verticals and see if you can see a signal or audio difference?

I modeled my I-10K, and when I added the matcher to it, the pattern started producing both horizontal and vertical RF patterns. Both polarities are notably strong in gain and show some difference in angle which is predictable. Together as the "Total Field Strength" they produce a nice gain and angle pattern with a pretty narrow low angle power lobe close to the horizon.

We have heard for years that the trombone tuner is different, and that it does something special vs. other 5/8 waves. I thought it was just advertising, but now I'm not sure.

As a little background into this interest, I'm not particularly a fan of Cooper's Electronics or their forum, but their Tech 833, claims to be an RF engineer of some fame, and he does report to do some real field testing for Coopers.

He reports to have done such an extensive field test on the I-10K, and he claims it was at Jay's request. In his report, which he only published much later in time, he made a comment about the I-10K producing a strange RF pattern, and that RF was notable above and below the feed point and it was high. He attributed this issue for the reader to be a potential for local RFI issues, and did not elaborate any more, except to say Jay refused the release of the report. I guess 833, had to wait some time before publishing the report.

I'm thinking, right now, this might be the same thing I'm seeing in my model, except I'm not sure I see RF below the ground plane per se, I see heavy horizontal RF at the feed point, with both high and low angled lobes. This could be the same difference however.

I never noticed anything in this regard when I had my I-10K up, but I wasn't exactly checking...how it responded to horizontal signals either. I have seen such responses before, that were notable when using my AstroPlane. I've even managed to test and duplicate the response with several locals, so I know a vertical antenna can show some horizontal tendencies, but it may have more to with some particular conditions, rather than with the antenna itself, so I'm nor sure.

BTW, I have checked this with DX signals before, and I've never been able to detect this difference, but I might expect that to be the case with reflected DX signals from the sky...as they're more predominate and maybe combining with other Earth and reflected type signals.

If you could help on this, regardless of your findings, I would appreciate it, OK?

73's

maco also makes a 3 element comet that is a 3 element beam that has vertical & horizontal polarization and a quad reflector. they also make a 3 element beam that is vertical and horizontal dual polarity without the quad reflector a 3 element H/V. if space is a problem the Y quad will serve you well i ran one for a couple years and loved it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.