• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco V5000 & V58 Antenna

i had wondered before whether this exact thing you mention would or could become an issue, Marconi,,,

I would hesitate to say for sure until I get it down and check it out. I have heard others make the case for not allowing enough slack.

Well just to let you all know. I went with the Sirio Tornado. I couldn't find a single thing bad about it. It probably wont be here till the 26th or 28th but it will go up next week. I have another question. I see people saying S-Units. Is that 6db per unit? Had a guy tell me he had a antron 99 and replaced it with the Tornado and it raised his TX and RX 2-3 S-Units. Correct me if that's wrong. Thanks!!

People put way to much faith in s-meters.

There is an official s-unit scale, and on that scale there is 6 dB between s-units.

That being said, no CB (and really even Ham Radio's) actually follow said scale. Most s-meters have far less of a difference than 6 dB per s-unit, and very few even scale evenly. For example, one part of the scale on a radio might be a 3 dB or more difference per s-unit, and another might be 1 dB or less.

Further, most radios today actually measure an s-unit reading after an AGC (Automatic Gain Control) circuit, which will also effect the s-meter readings as it reduces stronger signals and amplifies weaker signals.

The only thing you can really tell by a difference in s-units is that one signal is stronger than another by some amount. What is that amount? Well, your guess is as good as mine.

And if your s-meter was tuned, well, that generally means one specific point, usually S9, is tuned to be accurate *IF* you are receiving a dead carrier... The reason is it is calibrated with essentially a dead carrier that has no modulation. Even if were a modulated signal it was calibrated to, it would only be accurate with an equally modulated incoming signal.

In the real world, when people see a large gain difference when going from one antenna to another there is generally a reason for it. There is far more to gain than the antenna itself. For example, if you upgraded your coax in the process there will be a difference simply from that, and if the old coax was damaged (whicn they typically assume it wasn't), even more so. In essence, weather they know it or not, most people rarely make an apples to apples comparison when installing a new antenna and comparing it to the older antenna they replaced...

The DB

Very well put The DB. You sure I shouldn't tear out all my LMR400 and replace with LDF4-50A and Din connectors??(n);):ROFLMAO::D. And I'll keep the run as short as possible. Guess I could use the piece of 1 5/8" coax I have sitting here as well. That outta get me some S-units!!:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    611 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    606.9 KB · Views: 9
Well just to let you all know. I went with the Sirio Tornado. I couldn't find a single thing bad about it. It probably wont be here till the 26th or 28th but it will go up next week. I have another question. I see people saying S-Units. Is that 6db per unit? Had a guy tell me he had a antron 99 and replaced it with the Tornado and it raised his TX and RX 2-3 S-Units. Correct me if that's wrong. Thanks!!
Does it actually have only 6' radials?

Weird. It's almost as if Sirio have an aversion to full 1/4 wave radials o_O

Does it measure right about 22' 4" from where the coil feeds the radiator for 27.185MHz or so?

Weird. It's almost as if Sirio have an aversion to full 1/4 wave radials o_O

Does it measure right about 22' 4" from where the coil feeds the radiator for 27.185MHz or so?

NB, I think that Sirio has demonstrated that they have concerns for weather and wind relative to their vertical CB antennas. So, I think they figure if reducing the length of tubing a little doesn't hurt performance very much if any...then they can make their CB stuff shorter and possibly have less failure complaints.

Back when Sirio came out with their New Vector 4K, and when I found out the new dimensions...I posted this idea as one possible reason they shortened some of their longer CB products. I recall guys in Europe complaining they can't run the older Vectors because they would not hold up, and IMO such comments are not good for business.

I have also compared the shorter radial ideas in some of my Eznec models...and they show little to no difference in gain or angle. Plus I understand that radials primarily provide for a return current path for the radiator, that the currents in radials self-cancel, and don't radiate much RF into the far field. To be sure I will check some of my 5/8 wave models and get back.

How much difference do you think the shorter 72" radials will make in this case, and have you tested this idea in the real world?

Reactions: Galaxy 959
Yep im dredging this one up.
The only difference is in the base.
The V5000 uses a virgin Teflon insulator where the 58 doesnt. I cant remember exactly what maco told me it was.

V58
20200720_193055_HDR.jpg

V5000 (with a little coax seal)
20200720_193128_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated