• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco V58

I am not sure but I think they need to be on for a reason. signal pattern or tuning or some thing lik that. I was going to use just the first piece of the ground radials for the same reason but I was told it would not work correctly by someone :? but forget who. I guess that dont help does it?

Roger

Yeah, I had NO idea those radials were that long! The pic does not do it justice.
If it were 40' up I would not care, but it is only about 20' to the bottom of the antenna and it is right in my back yard. I am in a quiet residential neighborhood and I can imagine what my wife and the neighbors will say when they see it.
I chose this over the Solarcon A99 which my local guy also has in stock. I may have to eat this one and get the A99 unless someone knows for sure of the radials can be omitted. The V58 is not at all bad looking without the radials.

Time will tell.
Thanks guys.

Any other feedback?

Nope, it won't work correctly without the radials.

However, a 1/2 wave antenna will.

If you want the the same looking antenna without the radials, get the Cushcraft AR-10:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamants/0635.html
http://www.cushcraft.com/comm/support/pdf/RINGOS AR2 6 10 ARX450 220B 2B.pdf

To properly tune it to 11 meters you would have to lengthen the main radiator and tuning stub. It would be nice to have a slightly larger loop, but it will probably work OK with the 10-meter loop.

petey_racer said:
Yeah, I had NO idea those radials were that long! The pic does not do it justice.
If it were 40' up I would not care, but it is only about 20' to the bottom of the antenna and it is right in my back yard. I am in a quiet residential neighborhood and I can imagine what my wife and the neighbors will say when they see it.
I chose this over the Solarcon A99 which my local guy also has in stock. I may have to eat this one and get the A99 unless someone knows for sure of the radials can be omitted. The V58 is not at all bad looking without the radials.

Time will tell.
Thanks guys.

Any other feedback?

I understand your problems here , to bad )-: Your V58 is a fine antenna and much better then the A99 .......if it were me ,I'd be feeling pretty bad if I had to trade down on antennas )-: If you just got this antenna ,I would think the guy would trade you for the 99 without any questions asked , whatever happened to getting your money back on stuff if it didn't work out for you in the first place ? Those ground planes will work just fine at 20 feet from the ground as long as you have roughly 10 feet of clearance for them. (unless IM misunderstanding you here ? ) Those ground planes are what that antenna's all about , trust me here , if you can keep it and make those ground planes work for you , as far as IM concerned ,it would be like night and day compared to the A99 . good luck to you , (oh, the A99s do work)-:

Thanks Switch and Master for the help.
The small shop I got the antenna from is a real nice older guy. I would feel guilty asking him to take back something I already installed because of my error.
Yeah, I'd hate to trade down also. We'll see how it plays out. Maybe the wife and neighbors won't freak too bad when they see it.

Yea, keep it if all possible. I got one and it works great and once its up a while you dont notice it all that much.

But I only need to please my wife not neighbors because im not in a development.

Roger

Like I said, I would not feel right trying to return it.
I already got and put up the A99.

I'm having a hard time getting the SWR right. Even with the rings bottomed out the SWR is still uneven and kind of high. The best I could do was about 1.4/1.6 on ch40 & ch1.
There is aluminum siding about 20' away. Could this cause a problem?

I was doing ok with the old fiberglass 16' whip I had, so even the Solarcon is a step up.

I will hold on to the Maco I think. One never knows.....

the maco is head an sholders above the a99 and even better than the solarcon 2000. is a much cleaner antenna as far as your neigbors are concerned.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.