• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco Y quad,,,,, going back up a 3rd time. Talk some sense into me

Last edited:
I've had decent luck with TV rotors, but always try to finangle a thrust bearing in the mix. I'm currently looking for a nice used AR-35 for my VHF plans.

I’m giving up on this antenna.

After only a year and a half all the hardware is completely rusted so bad that it has to be cut off with a grinder, the aluminum poles are somehow bent to shit, the copper braided wire is broken, and I can’t get the reflective dimensions to work out on it despite replacing half of everything. It just won’t size up.

I’m gonna box this dang thing up and get me just a regular vertical antenna and call it a day. Like I should have when my instincts told me to. Maybe an imax or a penetrator. Whatever’s easiest and gets the most votes. I’ve thrown enough money and time at this.

Maybe others have had better luck with the Maco Y quad. I’m walking bent over from it. I’m sure to draw some ire over this, but I think this antenna is a real piece of crap. Maybe they work well when properly assembled. I never made it that far

Last edited:
I have always had good luck with the Aliance HD-73 rotor, I have used one for years.

Nice rotor. Had one turning my 3 element yagi on a 50' tower.
Now have a HAM IV turning my 4 element yagi. I acquired it used for $300. Works great. No complaints.

If anyone is still reading this thread, so I don't have to make a new one.

I hated this Y quad and got rid of it.

I have an Antron 99 about 50 feet on my tower that I discussed previously, that I WAS going to add my beam to before I scrapped the project. The A99 has been there about a year and a half and has given me zero issues. The SWRs have been flat. Ive done a lot of talking on it.

But a recent windstorm has bent my pipe pretty good. I didnt have it guyed. Plus the trees have grown up really close to it. The weekend after next we are going to drop the tower. I am adding about 20 feet of pipe with 2 layers of guys for added sturdiness, and am upgrading the RG8U with some LMR-400.

Im just wondering if I should replace this A99 with something else. Ive never had anything else, so I cant really compare. The old ado "if it aint broke, don't fix it" comes to mind. But on the other hand, I don't want to drop this tower again for years if I don't have to, so if something needs upgraded id rather spend a little now.

Im just wanting some opinions from more experienced radio operators. Im hearing theres little difference between the A99 and its brother the Imax 2000. But I know there are other choices out there. I do a lot of talking to truck drivers on the interstate which I live 6 miles from, that is my main focus, but I talk skip whenever it rolls in also. And there is a local group 35 miles north that I talk to, but recently they have dropped quite a bit and a couple of them used to be clear are now faint and scratchy.

Any opinion is welcome

I currently have a Sirio Vector 4000 vertical antenna about 40 feet up. It has been working great and has a pattern that is low on the horizon for good DX talking. I am also looking into a Maco five or six element beam to go on a tower someone just gave me. Lots of good options out there.

Reactions: TruckerKevin

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated