• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Made a Moxon

I read the thread again. I am not able to be absolutely certain of what is the meaning of the tapered elbows he referred to, but if it is about the photos of the Sal Moxon I can only think he is meaning the sweep of the corners as opposed to a sharp turn of wire antenna. I am likely wrong about that because when I look at the only photo of a Moxon on the HPSD site it also has a sweeping elbow . . .
Here is a sweeping elbow vs a sharp 90° elbow. Mine uses a 90° sharp elbow.

sweep:

01926242.jpg

elbow:

Frankly I am a little lost about his exact meaning. I know he is sure of what he's referring to.

I read the thread again. I am not able to be absolutely certain of what is the meaning of the tapered elbows he referred to, but if it is about the photos of the Sal Moxon I can only think he is meaning the sweep of the corners as opposed to a sharp turn of wire antenna. I am likely wrong about that because when I look at the only photo of a Moxon on the HPSD site it also has a sweeping elbow . . .
Here is a sweeping elbow vs a sharp 90° elbow. Mine uses a 90° sharp elbow.

sweep:

01926242.jpg

elbow:

Frankly I am a little lost about his exact meaning. I know he is sure of what he's referring to.

This looks like PVC elbows, but I get your point.

In Sal's pictures I can't be sure, but I think he bent the tubing, so I'm not sure what Henry was getting at either.

Do you think that Henry was talking about the long elbows like you shown for the top one? I'm not even sure if Sal used these long elbows...it would make a difference. I don't see any clamps, but I don't see clamps on your's either.

BTW, did you use aluminum tubing? If so what did you use for the elbows? I know they can be made, but they are not just laying around or even on store shelves.

I'm sure Henry will get us straight soon enough.

Last edited:
No, I didn't use aluminum as I didn't have enough that wasn't already in another antenna. I also wanted to try before I buy sort of thing, that is, see if I wanted to invest any cash into aluminum by using what I had at hand. I used some EMT (electrical conduit) I had in my materials rack. For the corners I put to work 4 1/2" galvanized rigid pipe elbows. They were a snug fit over the 1/2" EMT, some of which screwed in, others I had to tap in with a mallet. Each elbow I drilled a two holes in and used self-drilling screws in them through the ends of the EMT to guarantee they would not come loose.

I know it's crude and non-conventional, but well worth using as a trial run. I am convinced I will likely produce an aluminum model or two - maybe stack them for fun at vertical polarity. Just a thought . . .

Thanks for the heads-up.

Did you use Cebik's Moxon generator on this new model? If so, I didn't get that distinction in my comments above.

Bump this.....

Homer,
I know it's been a while but did you tune that antenna after getting the analyzer numbers you posted?

Thanks and 73
No. By the time I got an analyzer I had moved on to other builds. I would use the analyzer for future antennas of all types, including Moxons.

No. By the time I got an analyzer I had moved on to other builds. I would use the analyzer for future antennas of all types, including Moxons.
Roger. Testing a 6m Moxon I put together. Was wondering if you had done any wire Moxon tuning......

I went by the MoxGen dimensions. I left the spacing alone and adjusted the driven wires and reflector wires proportionate to each other.
Thank you Homer, that's exactly what I was looking for. I also used MoxGen, then modeled it on Eznec demo. Ended up designing about 2KHz higher in frequency believing that MoxGen calculates long. It analyzed ok first time out, but I will probably do a little tuning.

Thanks again,

Reactions: HomerBB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.