• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Made my own power microphone

dc2rf

Jan 15, 2014
I have an RCI-2950DX. When the radio first arrived, I couldn't wait to get a few signal reports after putting up an antenna and hooking up the radio. Unfortunately, I found out pretty quickly that the stock microphone really does a poor job in modulating the radio. It was kinda disappointing, and I had wondered if I had made an expensive mistake. When I ran AM, I'd get reports that said my modulation didn't match my carrier... audio too low. The radio has a mic gain control, but I had it wide open and it didn't matter. It wasn't because the radio was out of adjustment, I checked that also.

Reports were lackluster on SSB also. Man... what did I do... buy an expensive (to me) "dog"?

Well, I found out... "everybody knows" the stock mics are always junk.

Great...

I just bought an expensive radio and now I need to spend more for another (power) mic.

O.K. now what? Not wishing to spend a lot more on another mic, I had an idea. I'd build my own power mic! This one would be different. I rejected using a simple amplifier circuit to boost mic volume. That just leads to splatter as you're not controlling the peak audio power. What I really needed was a speech compressor. You increase the overall talk power without raising the peak audio amplitude.

Yes! O.k. Now which circuit? After a lot of reading, I settled on a one IC circuit using a single SSM2166. It combines everything needed in one chip to accomplish the task of speech compression. I found a number of schematics online to use.

The stock mic on the radio has a 6-pin circuit to provide for channel changing at the mic. It is a dynamic mic, and has a little "speaker" in it that acts as the microphone. That speaker and the case it sits in takes up most of the space in the mic. There's no room to insert any other circuit in the mic.

O.K., now what? I remembered I had an old cobra 4-pin mic I wasn't using. I looked inside it and it had a tiny electret mic element inside with plenty of room for another circuit.

Hmmmm.

First things first... By luck, I had bought a couple of the SSM2166 compressor IC's a number of years back. Good! I decided to build my own compressor circuit, as small as I could, and mount that circuit inside of the cobra mic. I used a piece of copper clad circuit board as the mount for the IC as well as for all the other components the chip needed. I mounted the IC on the copper upside down, "dead bug" style and fixed it in place with super glue. Following the schematic, I placed all the components around the IC that are needed to make the IC a complete circuit. I was careful to minimize all lead lengths so that the completed circuit board would be as small as possible. I also added some rf choke beads on input-output-power leads as a precaution.

After building the compressor board, I took both mics apart. I lined the cobra mics covers with copper foil to act as an rf shield. I took the original 4-pin mic cord out of the cobra housing and set it aside. I took the 6-pin cord out of the stock mic and placed it in the cobra housing. I placed the compressor board in the cobra mic... it just fit. All that remained was wiring the electret mic element to the input of the compressor circuit, and the output to the mic cord to the radio.

You may wonder what powers the compressor circuit. It needs 5 volts. Fortunately, I found that the original mic wiring provides 8 volts into the microphone via a black wire. I used the 8 volts provided. I added a 5.1 volt zener diode circuit to drop the 8 volts down to 5.1 for both the compressor circuitry and the electret mic cartridge power.

Yes, there was a bit of troubleshooting needed to adjust some of the circuitry surrounding the IC, and I also had to attenuate the audio from the electret mic... it was too much at first for the circuit. I also found I had to really back down on the mic gain at the radio also... no problem.

The bottom line. I get GREAT audio reports, both on AM and SSB. The mic really has brought the radio back to life. I'm not splattering, yet the radio sounds "louder" than before. I can see the difference on an in-line power meter. The average ssb power stays a lot higher on the meter than it did with the stock mic. This project is a "win" for me.

The new 6-pin Cobra power microphone:

The label stuck into the cover acts as an insulator between the copper foil and the circuitry.

Attachments

• mic1.jpg
    mic1.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 567
  • mic2.jpg
    mic2.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:

Cool! Got any sound bites of how it sounds? I'm thinking that I could wire my K40 speech processor for continuous voltage then I can pop me a electret element in mine(old element died). Thanks for the ideas.

Reactions: 1 person
Cool! Got any sound bites of how it sounds? I'm thinking that I could wire my K40 speech processor for continuous voltage then I can pop me a electret element in mine(old element died). Thanks for the ideas.

No sound bites yet, sorry.

I'm not sure about "continuous voltage"? I think you mean that you have to bring in a power wire for a new electret, and the old element is not electret and needs no power?

Btw, I found out that my electret got "squirrely" if I had too much voltage on it. Five volts of bias at the element worked out perfect. Check the 'net for biasing schematics for the electrets.

Glad you like the post!

This is about the first time I have heard someone complain about the stock microphone on a 2950DX. They work quite well. I had one for some time and it worked great with the stock mic. In fact I had to run the mic gain at about twelve o'clock and no more. Great audio reports.

This is about the first time I have heard someone complain about the stock microphone on a 2950DX. They work quite well. I had one for some time and it worked great with the stock mic. In fact I had to run the mic gain at about twelve o'clock and no more. Great audio reports.

I also briefly had a 2950dx, audio was superb with stock microphone, good enough clarity to work from a high location in Scotland to a high location in 29 div/Republic of Ireland line of sight at very low signal levels, less than S1 as i wasn't using a linear for a change.

What i did notice was on occasion you'd switch it on, display would light up but show nothing, it never happened on a psu and only when engine wasn't running, i can only assume the voltage drop from alternator to no alternator would be the cause as i didn't have it long enough to get in about it, gave me impression voltage regulator is very finicky in them.But otherwise it worked well on ssb at least.

looks great if you want to go into pirate taxi business too, lol

Hmmm.

Thanks for the input on the stock mike fellas! I do appreciate the feedback. I'm not sure what to think about my particular radio now. Who knows... factory defect??

Regardless, for my radio, the Cobra/RCI mike is doing the job for me.

So far I haven't seen any display problems. Of course there is the usual slight "dimming" of the display when in the tx mode. I've seen that mentioned often. And I have read the VR can be troublesome also.

Maybe some others will see the post and comment on the stock mike also.

I've had 3 RCI radios and liked the stock mic as well, they all came with the SRA-158.

It seems the consensus is the stock mic works well. That leaves me with two "scenarios". My mic was defective, my radio is defective, but works well with more input audio.

I got reports from a number of stations and they all said modulation was low with the old mic.

I must have an older version of the SRA-158. My up-down buttons were on the top, not the side.

I'm still happy because the "mod" didn't cost me a dime, just some time.

(hey, that rhymes). :)

It seems the consensus is the stock mic works well. That leaves me with two "scenarios". My mic was defective, my radio is defective, but works well with more input audio.

I got reports from a number of stations and they all said modulation was low with the old mic.

I must have an older version of the SRA-158. My up-down buttons were on the top, not the side.

I'm still happy because the "mod" didn't cost me a dime, just some time.

(hey, that rhymes). :)

:laugh: Yeah, I was thinking it was odd that you said your mic sounded bad, because as most of the guys responded, I had good luck with the stocker as well. I later replaced it with the SRA 158, and it worked great, too. Still, VERY nice write-up on your power mic build! (y)

RT307

:laugh: Yeah, I was thinking it was odd that you said your mic sounded bad, because as most of the guys responded, I had good luck with the stocker as well. I later replaced it with the SRA 158, and it worked great, too. Still, VERY nice write-up on your power mic build! (y)

RT307

Yep, all the reports said the modulation was low, considering the carrier, and as stated, I had the external mic gain up all the way on the radio. I don't think the problem was the mic because the mic element is just a simple "speaker in reverse"... if the voice coil is good, and the cone isn't binding, all should be ok.

Thanks for the thumbs-up on the homebrewing. Since the "bugs" are out of the circuit, I'm really happy with the results.

Great job on the mic. I had a 2166 for about 10 years now, been planning my homebrew and canceling then revisiting the idea every now and then. I finally am going to push forward and gonna homebrew me a processor box complete with the 2166 compressor, 6 band EQ and asymmetric controls. What kept me from going forward with the 2166 in the past was the fact that it was a SOIC and I was to lazy to make a PCB for a surface mount IC. Small bear has the 2166 in a DIP adapter and makes it easy to add to a PCB. I'm waiting on some parts but I will etch the 2 other PCB's for my box and I need to layout my power supply design out. Anyways good job man.

I was lucky to have bought a couple DIP version 2166's back when. At least you can get the adapter to make things easier for you. Building it in a nice enclosure will also make things much easier.

Since I needed minaturization to fit the circuit in the mic, I used the "dead bug" method rather than a conventional pcb.

Btw, you have to take the circuit values given on the 'net with a "grain of salt". I found I had to tweak some of the values.

Thanks for your comments, and good luck on your project.

Good job on the Microphone rebuild!! Its a shame you had problems with the stock microphonee. I have a few and have owned several 2950 cassis radios base and moble and the stock microphones with propper radio tune worked great only complaint I ever had about mine were the junk cheap stiff cords on them!!! But that also is an easy fix. LOL!!eat right up on the experiment / project!!

Yea, lucky me to get a not-so-great radio/mic. Having nothing to compare it to, nor any idea that things weren't right, I just made it work "my way".

And you're right... that cord is sure stiff. Good thing I don't use it in a cold car!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.