• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Made my own power microphone

Compression is killer on SSB but you have to be very careful on AM it will steal fidelity away in a hurry. Since SSB starts out with more freq. response and pass band you have more to lose and still sound good than you do with AM. On amp low noise floor, plenty of swing and not bouncing off the AGC is the name of the game. In a pile up you do not care about fidelity and increasing average modulation can make or break you. AM is not the same game. It is kind of like the strikes for winning at Black Jack of Banco versus Poker. Both games favor someone with a great memeory but Poker is not just the cards you are playing your playing the player even more than the house. So different games require different attacks to win. In this case flat mic responce, clean audio, low noise amplification, avoiding birdies are all good things.

As far as stock mic's go the RCI microphones are just fine especially on the RCI designed radio's. You might not like the way you sound which is one thing but driving them to 100% modulation with the stock mic is not an issue. In fact even the 1st Generation made in Taiwan RCI2950 had no issue. The only reason for a power mic was so you could be very far from the mic and still be heard. I hate eating a mic. I would much rather have my mic hanging from my mirror or resting in the center console and just key it and speak. Their are some radio's that really do benifit from the added premap of a power mic but RCI's ahve never been one that needed the help. Now my fantastic President Lincoln does not use one but 75% of owners that have owned this chasis HR-Lincoln and the Clone TS-5010 do use power mics and often with electret condenser elements. In the Ham world a company sells a set-up just for them plug and play with battery box installed. I run a Ten-Tec 715 and a power mic is not a good fit for that since it has 10V on the universal 8 pin mic jack for condensers.

I must have an older version of the SRA-158. My up-down buttons were on the top, not the side.

The newer SRA-158 mics do not sound well at all. The older ones with the black sticker on the back with silver letters reading "SRA-158-4H" are the good ones ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.