1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Mag mount Mobil antenna.

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Grogan, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Grogan

Grogan W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Looking to buy a new mag-mount antenna and what's best. Wilson 1000 Sirio Performer 5000 or the Stryker SRA-10 ?

2. L2

L2 Well-Known Member

I'm very happy with the Sirio Performer 5000. Used a Wilson 1000 for many years. It's a good antenna too but the Sirio works a little better.

Never tried the Stryker antenna.

3. ForestRunner98

ForestRunner98 917 SoCal

I just got a Sirio Performer 5000 with the 145 mag mount. I am dying to try it BUT they sent me the wrong one. Was sent the roof mount base. The PL base is coming.

Anyways long story short I will post some findings when it’s installed.

4. Blackcat630

Blackcat630 Sr. Member

Sirio gets my vote

Grogan and ForestRunner98 like this.
  5. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

I looked into a comparison more than a year ago: Going back years in reviews of Wilson versus Sirio, an edge was given to the latter.

My pickup carries a tri-mag with a PRESIDENT Texas.
    I got the Sirio combo for my sons SUV.

BOTH vehicles will get an in-roof mount, so the mag-mounts are backups or for a rental car.

I don’t see many (if any) SIRIO on the highway. It’s nearly all Wilson. A mag mount is “okay”. The permanent mount antennas (cars, vans, pickups) whup tail on the mags for distance and Intelligibility.

Oversized loads (overdimensional) have accompanying pilot cars. Radios with hard use. A disappointment so many use mag mounts or clips to racks.

The grannies with a minivan and permanent mount rule the road.

undertaker and S&W357 like this.
  6. Grogan

Grogan W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

The Wilson 1000 I had lasted many years and one day I pulled the magnet from the van and the whole bottom of the antenna came apart. Yesterday we did an install for a friend and found his Wilson top section had a loose mount for the whip (the small piece with the Allen screws) and was full of water. we used my friends Wilson 500 top section to get him going and it worked well. we put my Wilson 1000 top section on his base and it matched up better than the original 5000 top section. was looking at getting the serio but wanted to see how they hold up and haven't heard too much about the Stryker.

Slowmover likes this.
  7. 144inBama

144inBama Electricity doesn't kill you, ignorance does.

I've been a Wilson fan for years...the 1K mag and 2K hard mount have always been solid performers for me. The mag mounts need a little TLC every once in a while to keep them in optimal condition unless you seal them when you buy it. They say the newer 1Ks aren't as well made as the older ones...idk. I have both and can't tell any difference between the two. I can't go with a roof mount because of the low limbs around here, I'd be done snatched half my roof off.

Slowmover likes this.
  8. jkp1

jkp1 Active Member

I tore apart Wilson 1000 and a 5000. The coil in the 5000 was a bigger diameter material and the coax is bigger. ( I don't know what type they were, maybe rg8 and rg8 mini?)

Slowmover likes this.
  9. Tucker442

Tucker442 101E

Has anyone ever seen or owned a Moonraker mobile antenna. I never heard of them before and I’ve been around a long time I had a discussion with a guy this morning I told him I’ve never heard or seen one he showed me a picture of the antenna in the packaging. I have to say he surprised me

10. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

A thread here (somewhere; circa 2008) on Avanti Moonraker Mobile

11. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

Stryker said to be internally a Wilson 5000.
    I see them on the road occasionally.
    Walcott Radio site to do a comparison.

12. Rick330man

Rick330man WDX 404

I've got a Stryker 5K, a Wilson 1000 and the comparable Tram magnetic mount. Each performers very well. Neither does any better than the other. I've not had any quality control issues with either of the 3.

I've also got two old Radio Shack magnetic mounts from the late 70's/early 80's. They don't get out as well, but they still manage to do O.K.

Slowmover likes this.
  13. 22racer

22racer Active Member

I run the Sirio 5000 No shaft 3/8” antenna on a Sirio 3/8” 145 magnet mount. The mag is easily rebuildable, so I removed the RG58 it comes with and soldered on some RG-8x. I think it outperformes the Wilson 5000 it replaced.