• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mag mount Mobil antenna.

I looked into a comparison more than a year ago: Going back years in reviews of Wilson versus Sirio, an edge was given to the latter.

My pickup carries a tri-mag with a PRESIDENT Texas.
I got the Sirio combo for my sons SUV.

BOTH vehicles will get an in-roof mount, so the mag-mounts are backups or for a rental car.

I don’t see many (if any) SIRIO on the highway. It’s nearly all Wilson. A mag mount is “okay”. The permanent mount antennas (cars, vans, pickups) whup tail on the mags for distance and Intelligibility.

Oversized loads (overdimensional) have accompanying pilot cars. Radios with hard use. A disappointment so many use mag mounts or clips to racks.

The grannies with a minivan and permanent mount rule the road.

The Wilson 1000 I had lasted many years and one day I pulled the magnet from the van and the whole bottom of the antenna came apart. Yesterday we did an install for a friend and found his Wilson top section had a loose mount for the whip (the small piece with the Allen screws) and was full of water. we used my friends Wilson 500 top section to get him going and it worked well. we put my Wilson 1000 top section on his base and it matched up better than the original 5000 top section. was looking at getting the serio but wanted to see how they hold up and haven't heard too much about the Stryker.

Reactions: Slowmover
I've been a Wilson fan for years...the 1K mag and 2K hard mount have always been solid performers for me. The mag mounts need a little TLC every once in a while to keep them in optimal condition unless you seal them when you buy it. They say the newer 1Ks aren't as well made as the older ones...idk. I have both and can't tell any difference between the two. I can't go with a roof mount because of the low limbs around here, I'd be done snatched half my roof off.

I tore apart Wilson 1000 and a 5000. The coil in the 5000 was a bigger diameter material and the coax is bigger. ( I don't know what type they were, maybe rg8 and rg8 mini?)

Has anyone ever seen or owned a Moonraker mobile antenna. I never heard of them before and I’ve been around a long time I had a discussion with a guy this morning I told him I’ve never heard or seen one he showed me a picture of the antenna in the packaging. I have to say he surprised me

The Wilson 1000 I had lasted many years and one day I pulled the magnet from the van and the whole bottom of the antenna came apart. Yesterday we did an install for a friend and found his Wilson top section had a loose mount for the whip (the small piece with the Allen screws) and was full of water. we used my friends Wilson 500 top section to get him going and it worked well. we put my Wilson 1000 top section on his base and it matched up better than the original 5000 top section. was looking at getting the serio but wanted to see how they hold up and haven't heard too much about the Stryker.

Stryker said to be internally a Wilson 5000.
I see them on the road occasionally.
Walcott Radio site to do a comparison.

I've got a Stryker 5K, a Wilson 1000 and the comparable Tram magnetic mount. Each performers very well. Neither does any better than the other. I've not had any quality control issues with either of the 3.

I've also got two old Radio Shack magnetic mounts from the late 70's/early 80's. They don't get out as well, but they still manage to do O.K.

I went with the Sirio 5000. Removed the original coax and replaced with LMR-240. Excellent antenna.
SWR 1.1 on channels 1 and 40. Great ears and, talks extremely well. Have it hooked to my Galaxy DX 94HP. More than satisfied.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated