• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mag Mount Questions

Oct 6, 2005
SE North Carolina
Would converting my Predator 10K from mag mount to roof mount allow me to shorten the whip a little more than it is now?

I'm tired of that mag mount beating up my roof and getting turned over. Plus it has been hitting overpasses and stuff and now I broke the whip completely off.

It's on a dump truck incase you're scratching your head...

I freak'in totally dislike magmounts !!! Dump truck ? sure drill that hole !! or even a good solid mirrow mount might just be what the doctor ordered. Cale should give you the best advise on that situation. Good luck to you

10-10

Well I think Kale did tell me that I could lower it some by moving to a permanate mount and getting away from the mag mount.

The mirror mount won't be an option on a Sterling cause of fiberglass doors. I know how to make it work, but I just think I'd rather run a roof mount setup.

I would love to find a way or somebody that knows how to make a mount that will allow the antenna to fold down at the flip of a switch. I know Tarheel Antenna offers some type of this mount, but I don't think it'll work for a roof setup. Plus they are high.

I like the double coil I have, but I had a single coil and I believe it worked better, but that is my opinion and thought on the matter. Not necessarily the truth or fact. I'd love to go back to the shortest single coil with some type of lay-down mount and then bridges and crap like that wouldn't be an issue.

Chop

Stargunswivelmount003.jpg

just a tip on mounting antennas on the doors/mirror mounts of the sterling. if you connect a piece of braid between the mount and the cab frame side of the hinge and use a 9' piece of RG58 or similar feedline between the radio and antenna you might be able to achieve a reasonable match. i have used this feedline fix on the freightliner classic xl tractors with excellent results, less the braid. another problem (besides the glas doors) with these particular trucks is that the input impedance at the antenna is typically one third or so of the required 50 ohms needed for a reasonable match. if you decide to give it a try let me know what happens. in the classic xl's a feedline length of 9' (without the braid to ground connection) alone has corrected swr of approximately 3:1 and provided nearly a flat match.

I seriously doubt if going to a permanent mount will affect the overall length of your antenna much. Maybe the heigth of the mount, but that would be all (if that).
- 'Doc

What the freak is a hockey puck?

If you consider that my triple mag mount is sitting on spacers about 2 inches high between the mags and the plate the antenna is sitting on, then you would lower it atleast 2". I need that space for the coax and mount and all that jazz.

I trust Kale knows what he's talking about, afterall he is the fella building the antenna, not me. I have no clue as to what to do to cure the issue.

My biggest concern is popping a hole in an otherwise new truck and it leaking. OR hitting something and it ripping a big hole in my roof. That would suck a fat babys ball sack!

That fold over mount in that picture is kinda what I need but I need one that'll fold over electronically like the one that Tar Heel Antenna makes. Just without that high cost and huge plate they mount it on.

Where can you get that fold over mount in that picture...I might can work something with that.

Chop

TheRealPorkchop001 said:
What the freak is a hockey puck?

If you consider that my triple mag mount is sitting on spacers about 2 inches high between the mags and the plate the antenna is sitting on, then you would lower it atleast 2". I need that space for the coax and mount and all that jazz.

I trust Kale knows what he's talking about, afterall he is the fella building the antenna, not me. I have no clue as to what to do to cure the issue.

My biggest concern is popping a hole in an otherwise new truck and it leaking. OR hitting something and it ripping a big hole in my roof. That would suck a fat babys ball sack!

That fold over mount in that picture is kinda what I need but I need one that'll fold over electronically like the one that Tar Heel Antenna makes. Just without that high cost and huge plate they mount it on.

Where can you get that fold over mount in that picture...I might can work something with that.

Chop

ask Linearone , or PM him , it's his mount. He seems like a nice enough dude (-:

No not exactly, I have the tri-mag mount already. That is if you were talking to me in the first place.

Tarheel Antennas makes a fold-down mount that is motorized. It's high priced though and I was hoping to be able to make something just as good only cheaper.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.