• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnetic Mount Antenna Installation

Jul 16, 2008
Gloucester City, NJ
I'm about to mount a Wilson 5000 on the cab of my '07 Toyota Tacoma. It will be mounted towards the back roof of the cab, with the coax coming down between the cab and bed, underneath the body and up through a grommet on the floor of my back passenger side access cab. I'll be running a tuned Galaxy 979-DX coupled to a Texas Star DX-500v (4x2879 transistors).

My question concerns the mounting of the magnetic base to the cab roof. Keeping in mind that I'll be dead-keying somewhere between 120-150 watts (swinging to 450 or so), is there anything I should do special before attaching the base? I know to clean the bottom of the magnetic base of the antenna and the roof itself. Should I put anything between the roof and the base, line a piece of plastic wrap or something? Am I better off just letting it mount "magnet to roof", without anything in between? I'm looking to get maximum performance for this setup.

only thing id do is put the antenna in CENTER of roof.this will give ya best performance
i wouldnt put anything between mount and roof.but after it rains or ya wash your truck
remove antenna and whip it dry

Drill a Hole In The Center Of The Roof & Mount it That Way If You Want True Performance From This Setup With a Mag Mount The Antenna Is NOT ! Grounded ! Drill A HOLE You Won't Be Sorry !

YOU WILL SCRATCH THE PAINT.

I have not seen a mag mount, even with the upmost care NOT damage the paint.

I even used these vynil stickers you put on the magnents to protect your paint.

I would wax the roof very good with a hard wax, where ever you will put the magnet and just live with it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.