• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum 1012 Anywhere?

Albrecht (AE29900) are making their version later this year ...expect them to hit Europe's shelf's around December 2015/Jan 2016 ..

I'll believe it when I see them. I hope you are right.

There are AE2990s available on eBay from UK and German vendors. However...

There is NO export version and they are extremely underpowered:

Germany: 80 channel FM (4 W);
40 channel AM 1 W and SSB 4 W
EU: 40 channel AM 1 W; 40 channel FM/SSB 4 W
E: 40 channel AM/FM/SSB 4 W
PL: 40 channel AM/FM/SSB 4 W "0" Raster
UK: U1 - 1 to 40; U2 - 1 to 40

I confirmed these details with one of the German vendors via email.

Conclusion: Not very desirable to anyone outside of Europe such as myself, especially when you consider the nearly $400CAD price tag for something that can only do 4 watts on SSB.

I really want one badly, but I'm not THAT desperate for one!

Reactions: binrat
Albrecht (AE29900) are making their version later this year ...expect them to hit Europe's shelf's around December 2015/Jan 2016 ..

BTW...I can't find any mention online about these new 'AE29900' ht radios. What is your information source? Did the manufacturer specifically tell you about this?

BTW...I can't find any mention online about these new 'AE29900' ht radios. What is your information source? Did the manufacturer specifically tell you about this?
https://www.google.com/search?q=Albrecht+(AE29900&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Albrecht+(AE2990

you are incorrect ....
hardly a "new" radio been around for a few years under many brand names

they do export and 12/10m ..see the pics i have attached
you may want to read this also http://www.transmission1.eu/viewtopic.php?t=42495

4watts is all they are good for weather it has magnums brand or Albrecht or dragons or "super radio" brand on it

my source is the factory and yes i read the emails they send us

as dave said (magnum man) it may not be called magnum this time around

whats being sold on ebay at the moment is the previous production run ...
new production run is late this year

honesty save your money you will be in for a disappointing ride with any of those multi-mode handhelds

Attachments

• how-to-extend-albrecht-ae-2990-afs-mods-1-728.jpg
    how-to-extend-albrecht-ae-2990-afs-mods-1-728.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 4
  • how-to-extend-albrecht-ae-2990-afs-mods-2-728.jpg
    how-to-extend-albrecht-ae-2990-afs-mods-2-728.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 4
  • how-to-extend-albrecht-ae-2990-afs-mods-3-728.jpg
    how-to-extend-albrecht-ae-2990-afs-mods-3-728.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: tecnicoloco
https://www.google.com/search?q=Albrecht+(AE29900&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=Albrecht+(AE2990

you are incorrect ....
hardly a "new" radio been around for a few years under many brand names

they do export and 12/10m ..see the pics i have attached
you may want to read this also http://www.transmission1.eu/viewtopic.php?t=42495

4watts is all they are good for weather it has magnums brand or Albrecht or dragons or "super radio" brand on it

my source is the factory and yes i read the emails they send us

as dave said (magnum man) it may not be called magnum this time around

whats being sold on ebay at the moment is the previous production run ...
new production run is late this year

honesty save your money you will be in for a disappointing ride with any of those multi-mode handhelds
My apologies..I was under the impression you were referring to a newer model coming out.

My understanding was that there was an export version with a multitude of codes to choose various different allocation plans including all those outside of Europe and that operation was AM/FM - 4 watts, and SSB 7 watts.

What's being sold on eBay is the non-export version. There were export versions that could do higher power and pretty much cover most of 26MHz - 30MHz.

Or so I thought...

P.S. I certainly DO appreciate you guys providing some info here. Was very surprised to see such quick responses to a thread I thought was pretty much dead and would take weeks to get a response from.

Thank-you Yeti and Magnuman. :)

Thank-you Yeti and Magnuman. :)[/QUOTE]
I may be wrong but I believe all of these radios are capable of several modes / Ham only/expanded mode/ CB 40ch only with a modification that involves soldering or de-soldering a couple of pads under the PTT pad.
If you use the internal battery pack then you will see about 4w or more commonly 3-3,5 PEP. if you plug them into a 13.8v DC source you can get about 7 w PEP out.
Despite them being small and quite neat for what they do, I still find them extremely frustrating to use on SSB to make contacts.

Reactions: Mudfoot
I still have my old Spitfire 454 all mode but no 12 meters. Had a lot of fun but you need a good antenna. I bought a 3 foot rubber ducky and made many a contact. Mudfoot is basically correct that it is mainly a novelty but when the bands open it does really well!
I also had a Dragon version at the same time but sold it on Ebay. I paid 100 dollars for it but when it went to auction on Ebay, two HAMs went to war over it and it sold for 325 dollars! It paid for itself plus what I paid for the 454! The Dragon version was not as good as the 454.
As for the newer Magnum and Albrecht, they are pretty close to my old 454 but the coverage is better, down to 12 meters. Not sure of the stability of the newer HTs.

73 mechanic

I classify them as a novelty item.
Classify them as whatever you wish...a toy, novelty item etc..
Doesn't change that fact that they do work and I still want one.

I notice that many people seem to like to mock the idea of an HF handheld...but the Yaesu FT-817 is essentially that...just in a different form factor and it gets all kinds of respect from hams.

They seem to work just fine with a tuned whip mounted on the top of the unit via a BNC connector. I rarely see anyone ever put those down other than the fact they are very low power and of course the lower frequencies need some sort of a counterpoise...but that's the case with any radio operating at those lower frequency bands.

So the idea of a handheld using only 2-3 of the higher frequency bands doesn't seem so ridiculous to me.

It may be a novelty or a toy...but from what I have read and seen in videos, they can be lot of fun! That's why I'm getting my ham license...to have fun and experiment. :)

All the best,

73s

Reactions: binrat
I suppose it could be fun under certain rare conditions, but the majority of the time, it will NOT be. Overload kills it when using external antennas, in case you had ideas. I wish I had one of these way back in my youth. I would have used it to talk SSB to my buddies in town, all within a few blocks of me.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just expressing my opinion concerning how shitty it is, not to mention the totally ridiculous price it commands. It's a $59.95 radio crammed inside an $200 plus enclosure.

I suppose it could be fun under certain rare conditions, but the majority of the time, it will NOT be. Overload kills it when using external antennas, in case you had ideas. I wish I had one of these way back in my youth. I would have used it to talk SSB to my buddies in town, all within a few blocks of me.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just expressing my opinion concerning how shitty it is, not to mention the totally ridiculous price it commands. It's a $59.95 radio crammed inside an $200 plus enclosure.
Well that I can certainly agree with you on. They are overpriced for what they are.

I also don't believe these radios are worth the kinds of money the manufacturer or vendors are demanding. This is why I've been holding back on buying one. I would love for some manufacturer to come along and place more of these on the market.

I would say that if regular AM only handhelds sell for $79.99 - $99.99 on the high side (a lot of times they can be found for less), an SSB model could sell for $150 and that would be a fair price point...not double, triple or more. That's just ridiculous.

But I guess either you pay or you don't get to play. Still, they are a lot cheaper than the next step up alternative...unfortunately. :(

As far as ideal conditions go, in the last month I have seen a couple of openings that I would have loved to try one of these with. I suppose I am one of those freaks that enjoy the challenge of QRP on 10/11 meters. :)

All the best,

73s

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.