• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MAGNUM 257 HP Review

M42Duster

M42 Duster I have come to an Idea you must be like a burnout from the 70's. Anytime I click on your link you have some WWII tank thing going through it's paces, so are you old and a WWII vet or are you just a war time goof ball. I did 4 years in the Air Force and am very quiet about my military time because I chose to be that way. Are you a Vet or just a wanna be??

well that 375 is 51 dollars shipping so really the radio is only costing 324, I have an extra if your interested same deal 375 shipped but I will include a HM-36 mic with it for that money

My problem with the Magnum 257 and that entire family of radio's is how cheap the controls feel, how easy said controls break, and how hard it is to read the controls in a vehicle.

On top of this their price is on par with a 2950DX which gives you 10-12 meter's which is a lot more radio then the Magnum 257.

I have never had anything but great reports on my old school RCI 2950 on SSB or AM. Sure even the new 2950DX's do not have the power output of the Magnum's but how much power do you need in the radio. What Ham does not have an amplifier to use?

In my mind the Magnums are over priced until they add 12 meter operation to the unit and controls do not break easily. When my RCI2950 was stolen it had over 12 years of use. In Georgia I left it in my vehicle. In college I took it out each night and put it back in each morning. It was rock steady on SSB from -35F in real world use in Michigan in Winter Mobil use and did fine in 120 F heat in Ga......

I also have President Lincoln that replaced my RCI2950 when it was stolen. Mine has the MRF-455 final in it from the OEM. It too is rock stead on SSB and AM. Could use more modulation and punch on AM but that is about it's only weakness. It will do 50 watt dead key if I desire it but I usually set it so it swings to 65 watts on AM if I run it all out I can 80 on SSB. My point is that their have been high output small chassis radio's for a long time.

What I would like to see is RCI put out a 2950 in a package sized no larger then the President Lincoln/HR2510 with clean, durable,easy to read function keys and knobs. Maybe Sam Lewis could make give his 257 series 12 meter's and a front panel that is easy to use while driving down the road with less then ideal mounting. Maybe a remote face plate???? Then it would be a great rig!

For those of us that do not drive a truck mounting locations for a radio are getting slim on modern car's. A remote face plate control would be fantastic. Controls that a 6 foot 2 240lbs. man can operate while driving down the road would like wise be a plus. I am not a 98lbs. school girl I want bigger buttons then my cell phone has that can be read going down the road.

RCI could like wise give us a 2950 with a remote face plate!!!!! I can not mount a full size radio to the dash of my Camry not going to happen.....

I have not bought a new radio since I bought my Lincoln because no one is building what I want. I want 10m-12m continuous coverage small foot print or detachable remote face plate and has to be under $300. Has to have buttons and knobs that are at least as good as early 1990's RCI 2950's and 1980's Uniden and Cobra's........Paint Shaker Test sounds good to me too!!!LOL Has to have rock solid SSB and has to have strong punchy audio on all modes AM,FM,SSB and should have CW..... Should be up-gradable for tone schelch, CTSS, digital modes of operation etc......This way serious Hams could buy the radio and then buy drop in cards for features not all of us want or need.

I know it will never happen not as long as we trash talking 11 meter people that will actually pay good money for a radio with no SSB or FM that has analog bands A-F with 400+ watts built into the radio..........The market tends to feed the bottom and the top of the food chain with no attention to the middle of the food chain. So Ham's spending $3000 plus will get their toys and the *&^neck wanting the 400+ watt AM only with multiple banks of 40 channels will get their needs meet.

ONELASTIME i have one question for you. Have you ever had a 257 that any of those controls actually broke?? I have had a ton of used ones of all varients, SuperStar4800, Titan Road Pro II old and new 257 and 257HP models and although the controls don't feel like you would like them to, I NEVER had any of mine break in the last 8 years or more. NEVER. Actually I have a replacement calirifer control for a 257 that I bought to replace one that " felt funny". I cleaned it well with tuner cleaner and never replaced the pot anyway so I have a new one here collecting dust. Everybody talks about how the Magnum radio controls feel funny, oh well at least they work.

Attachments

• superstar4800.jpg
    superstar4800.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 7
Zman I had one mobile set up that was perfectly flat on 11 meter's. Not just my crapy analog meter either but MFJ's little black wonder box......It was a 1986 Toyota 4Runner. I had 18 feet of coax feeding a 102 inch SS whip. The whip was mounted to a heavy twin tube steel bumper with a piece of flat aluminum extending the SS whip away from the corner of the vehicle. That set up had to have been checked why 10-15 CB'er's and 3 electronic Tech's and one large warranty service center for many makes of Ham radio's.....Why? Because it was such a flat match no one could believe it and they all had to test it out.....If I recall right I was flat from just a tad above 26mhz to just slightly outside the 11 meter's. Now once it started to roll off though it did so in a hurry. So it was not very broad band not like I was trying to work all of the HF band with one antenna.....For the record the Tech's where all licensed operators that where all about 20 years older then me at the time. The antenna is only part of the answer the vehicle is the rest. No one wants to drill holes let alone sand them to bar metal today. No one wants to run anything like a 102 SS whip. Everyone wants these tiny little antenna's and magnet mounts etc.....

I took the time to sand to bare metal at mounting points, did little tack welds from the bumper,to the nuts to the frame etc........I think the little details matter in a mobile set up and people either try to be too broad band or they forget the little details, or they use cheap hardware or coax etc.......Everything matter's when trying to get a good match. I do not think it is an accident that the guys that are the most ****retentive about details tend to have the best match and the best sounding gear. Sloppy,Lazy or just doing the minimum has never produced outstanding results.

Hey ONELASTIME did you use grounding straps for the doors, and hood? If you did I bet you didn't ground the exhaust system. Almost all exhaust systems installed on anything since the 60's have rubber in all the hangers to allow expansion

What I would like to see is RCI put out a 2950 in a package sized no larger then the President Lincoln/HR2510 with clean, durable,easy to read function keys and knobs. Maybe Sam Lewis could make give his 257 series 12 meter's and a front panel that is easy to use while driving down the road with less then ideal mounting

The only radio you will find out now with what you are looking for in the "export category" is the Optima.

Jeff

Love both my HP and non-HP 257's, but a common problem is the volume on/off control wears out and needs replacing sometimes within a few months.

I just got back 2 of them from the shop in California that Chris had to fix.

If they improved that one control, and filtered the receive a bit so it didnt pick up florescent lights and electrical static while driving through town, and added a fan and more than 5 levels of S-Meter, i think the radio would be close to perfect.

But even so, i love both of mine and they work great for now.
The stock power mic that comes with it works great.
I was using a non-amplified Wilson Trucker Mic for awhile, and it worked well, but now im back to the Magnum Mic.

And Robb's review was pretty good. Sure more people would have loved more blood n guts, and more drama, but some people just feed on negativity.
For the most part He described the radio quite well

I use mine for 10 and 11 meters in my mobile with a Wilson 5000 magmount, and i use a Yaesu for 2 meters.

Yes id buy another one.

Magnum 257hp modulation drop on ssb

I'm dealing with the same thing. am no problem swinging 40 watts. modulation 100%.On SSB it will modulate a sec. power will swing to 80 watts but modulation drop off. On SSb I used to have to turn up power to get any swing, power or modulation. I tried changing mics. I found if I turn power down from max a little my audio starts swinging. But my power drops to a 40 watts swing. If I turn power have way I lose both power and audio. I checked settings. I did some google searches. I see there are alot of complaints about this, unfortunatley no fixes. I love this rig others wise. Im no technician. I do know my way around the radio.
I f anyone knows or find any fixes I would appreciate a reply.
Thank Larry
K2MAZ 73

ps im gonna try turning down mike and RV4

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.