• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MAGNUM 257 HP Review

SSB Distortion Repaired

If you got the radio used; then someone may have messed with it.
If you got the radio new; then you have a reason to send it in for warranty repair.

I returned radio for warranty repair and got problem resolved.
Technician Note: Rebiased radio for optimum SSB performance and checked all modes/functions...OK

My observation is that the RFX75 amplifier housing was opened and maybe modified/adjusted.

QSO's with other stations on 10-meter SSB demonstrates the SSB transmit audio is now normal. (y)

I thank Sam Lewis for his personal attention and rapid response!

I returned radio for warranty repair and got problem resolved.
Technician Note: Rebiased radio for optimum SSB performance and checked all modes/functions...OK

My observation is that the RFX75 amplifier housing was opened and maybe modified/adjusted.

QSO's with other stations on 10-meter SSB demonstrates the SSB transmit audio is now normal. (y)

I thank Sam Lewis for his personal attention and rapid response!
The RFX75 RF decks were shipped with improperly plated or painted mounting screws. This prevents the RFX board ground from continuity to the radio ground. Most likely the original wrong screws were replaced with he correct type. In some RFX units, the + DC line was incorrectly connected to the wrong point on the radio chassis.

These issues were all addressed in a service bulletin.

Attachments

• s45hp_257hp_update.pdf
    40 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: 3 people
it always amazies me how many people have a 1.1 to 1 swr, either everybody had a crummy meter or they just have no output power. I am creeping up on 58 yrs old, have had almost any antenna made that is under 100 dollars and have never ever had a 1.1 to 1 swr. My best has been like a 1.2 and a little bit meaning like 1.25 or more most of them have been 1.3 to 1.5 with different coax configs or just different coax at different lengths but never had a 1.1 so why don't you 1.1 guys either get a better meter or just go around the band to see it get higher on other channels that you have cuz ALL bs ASIDE not all these people have a 1.1 swr antenna unless they are like doing 2 watts

I have NEVER seen a flat match on ANY antenna that ive ever used... I think some ops are full of crap.

Id like to get one but nobody has any in stock... Has the 257 been discontinued???????

Check up on other threads here. The current Omega and 257 radio's are done as is the whole "S" series radio's. Next up will be new Omega & 257 HP radio's with new processors that do 10,11, &12 METER. Also the Raptor line will be the new "flagship" line if you will. New versions will include more power and SSB.

If you are really wanting a 257HP send me a PM. There is a local guy who bought one new and left it in the box and has not even tried it out yet. He might be willing to part with it.

Id like to get one but nobody has any in stock... Has the 257 been discontinued???????

Zman I would give Magnum a call and see what they have to say. I couldn't imagine them stopping production. I know the last batch had issues so maybe they are just changing the production line to include more quality. the number there is 877-624-6869. The Yeticom Optima is the same looking radio but with more features and a higher price tag but works great

Reactions: 1 person
binrat so you can see the difference what a better radio the Optima really is. Is it worth a hundred dollars more?? To me it is big time but some people won't appreciate how much better the Optima is compaired to a 257

I think its worth the extra $100. Many things make me feel that way, the way the knobs feel, not needing to go thru bands to get to a freq, the ears is impressive. The white light as well at night is welcoming to the old eyes as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.