• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MAGNUM 257 HP Review

257 HP

It's been a few days now with my new Magnum 257HP. I have used RCI 2950's 2950DX's 2970DX's and a 6900F. When ever I want to hear something way off in the distance it seems my 6900F hears the best, well I have to say the 257HP hears everything my 6900F does, stays dead on frequency not like the 6900F that drifts around all the time and the 257HP doesn't have that hash recieve like the 2950 , 2950DX and the 2970DX. So really how can Magnum make this radio for around 200 dollars and it works better than the RCI's?? Guess selling my 2985DX was a good idea, and after the sale I still had 150 left over after buying the 257HP. Great decision:):)

Reactions: 1 person
First off I'd like to say that this is a wonderful site and I'm glad to have found it. It has been very informative and very funny at times too. This review along with CB Radio Magazine's review of this particular radio has pretty much sank the hook in.

Back in 2003 I stopped driving semi-trucks after about a decade of doing so. Still miss it sometimes, but not much, lol. Weird thing is I never gave CBs much of a thought back then. Mainly I ran an off-the-shelf Cobra with a pair of generic fiberglass antennas and I remember having a High-Gear mic at some point and some kind of echo mic.

Anyways, to get to the point, I've missed having a radio and listening in on all those crazy trucker conversations (a few I'm sure I partook in) so I've decided on picking up one of these Magnum 257 HD. I use a radio at work ALL the time still, but you can't BS on them like you can on citizen bands. Plus I like the idea of exploring other frequencies.

The vehicle it's going in is a Jeep JK (2010). My question is, what would you guys recommend for a good antenna and coaxial cables? The kicker is that it can't be roof mounted due to clearance issues with the garage, so it'll likely be mounted in the rear bumper. Overall length needs to be at around 5' feet, which will consequently yield about 1.5' feet above the roof line thus clearing the garage door. Also, no mag mounts. I know this isn't the most effective location but if I can get out to say 25 miles, I'll be a happy camper.

The Wilson 5' Silver Load is my first consideration, although the Sirio antennas you guys rave about are really appealing too. Any thoughs and/or suggestions?

Thanks ~ Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Larsen NMO34...

I would like to recommend the Larsen NMO34B coil, matched up with a 64" whip (Larsen W640). This gives you a 10M antenna that is approximately 64" long, just like a Wilson 1000, yet is compatible with all NMO mounts. This is what our local ham club has done. We sourced and purchaed a batch of NMO34 coils, whips and springs and now have a great 10M antenna.

The Larsen NMO27 is OK, but the whip too short to be very efficient. A 64" whip would be better for efficiency. The longer 64" whip, "detunes" the coil, putting the whole antenna up on 28+ Mhz.

For CB use, I use an NMO30 coil and the 64" whip. You might need the short 4" spring (Larsen SPRING or SPRINGB) to resonate the antenna properly, depending on installation. Our club is absolutely thrilled with this antenna. For 12M use (24.9 Mhz), use the NMO27 coil and the 64" whip..

Alright, after having done some comparison, I'm going with the a Larsen NMO-27B.

OmegaForce S45HP vs. 257HP

The OmegaForce S45HP is essentially the same radio as the Magnum 257HP; same microprocessor, same features. All Magnum did was add the CB bells and whistles and styled it more for the CB'er. (Not a problem for me, as the CB noise toys are useful on the CB band, where we can fart around.) The 257HP leaves 10M pristine and unmolested by Roger-Beeps, echo, etc. The OmegaForce S45HP has all the features hams want for 10M: repeater shift, split, full coverage, all mode, etc. All it's missing is CTCSS tones, but you can add an aftermarket CTCSS board to it. Makes a nice 10M base station, not to mention a great mobile! I chose the OmegaForce S45HP over the 267HP, just for the looks and noise-toys for a laugh.

I will purchase the Yeticom Optima when it's finally released. This is a version of the 257HP that covers 12M and has some unique features not found on the 257HP

thanks for the review. how ya compare it to the omega hp both tx rx

Last edited:
One of the BEST, thorough, and comprehensive non-biased reviews I've ever read..... AND, based on the responses to this thread, I'd have to say that I'm not alone in this observation. (y)

Alright, after having done some comparison, I'm going with the a Larsen NMO-27B.

Honestly, without any bias on my part the best antenna for mobile ops appears to be the KW7 Firestick. I can't use one because of trees and low branches where I live but as far as I can tell based on testing they are the best.

When it comes to antennas, bigger is always better.

The Larson coil with the 64 inch whip sounds good. But don't know what the band width is like while the KW7 is very wide.

I honrestly cannot recommend the Larson NMO27.
First, it's too short! At 49" it's a short antenna for either 10M or CB. My club has extensively, and exhaustively tested out the Larsen NMO30 and NMO34 coils, and found that matched up with a 64" whip (the W640 whip) they perform at least as good as the Wilson 1000. (A base loaded antenna, they are slightly longer the the W1000.) We recomend the NMO30, with 64" whip for CB and the NMO34 coil for 10M. You may have to add the Larsen spring (SPRING) to match them perfectly. I personally use a Larsen NMO34, with 64" whip and a spring, and it puts me on 28.8 with 1:1 VSWR, and over 1.6 Mhz bandwidth! The NMO30 coil performs equallly well. You can tune either for the Freeband if you wish. I am absolutely thrilled with the performance! Contact your Larsen dealer to order these as they are a special order.

Having said all that, the Firestick KW7 will outperform the Larsens because it's longer. 10M is quite correct - bigger is better!!!

Honestly, without any bias on my part the best antenna for mobile ops appears to be the KW7 Firestick. I can't use one because of trees and low branches where I live but as far as I can tell based on testing they are the best.

When it comes to antennas, bigger is always better.

The Larson coil with the 64 inch whip sounds good. But don't know what the band width is like while the KW7 is very wide.

I honrestly cannot recommend the Larson NMO27.
First, it's too short! At 49" it's a short antenna for either 10M or CB. My club has extensively, and exhaustively tested out the Larsen NMO30 and NMO34 coils, and found that matched up with a 64" whip (the W640 whip) they perform at least as good as the Wilson 1000. (A base loaded antenna, they are slightly longer the the W1000.) We recomend the NMO30, with 64" whip for CB and the NMO34 coil for 10M. You may have to add the Larsen spring (SPRING) to match them perfectly. I personally use a Larsen NMO34, with 64" whip and a spring, and it puts me on 28.8 with 1:1 VSWR, and over 1.6 Mhz bandwidth! The NMO30 coil performs equallly well. You can tune either for the Freeband if you wish. I am absolutely thrilled with the performance! Contact your Larsen dealer to order these as they are a special order.

Having said all that, the Firestick KW7 will outperform the Larsens because it's longer. 10M is quite correct - bigger is better!!!

No, I don't think much of the NMO27 either. In testing it does not perform well.

Good info on the NMO30/34, thanks!

I'm not interested in freebanding at all. It seems that some cber's think 10 meters is freeband, it isn't.

Larsen NMO34, with 64" whip and a spring, and it puts me on 28.8 with 1:1 VSWR, and over 1.6 Mhz bandwidth!

I will be looking in to this. :)

So, would you say that the best NMO setup for going from 27.0-28.6 Mhz would be the NMO30+spring+64" whip?

I have had an NMO27 for a long time for CB, but I am looking at combining my amateur usage and 27 Mhz ops into one antenna.

Thanks,

JD

I would like to recommend the Larsen NMO34B coil, matched up with a 64" whip (Larsen W640). This gives you a 10M antenna that is approximately 64" long, just like a Wilson 1000, yet is compatible with all NMO mounts. This is what our local ham club has done. We sourced and purchaed a batch of NMO34 coils, whips and springs and now have a great 10M antenna.

The Larsen NMO27 is OK, but the whip too short to be very efficient. A 64" whip would be better for efficiency. The longer 64" whip, "detunes" the coil, putting the whole antenna up on 28+ Mhz.

For CB use, I use an NMO30 coil and the 64" whip. You might need the short 4" spring (Larsen SPRING or SPRINGB) to resonate the antenna properly, depending on installation. Our club is absolutely thrilled with this antenna. For 12M use (24.9 Mhz), use the NMO27 coil and the 64" whip..

That's an interesting question. For the NMO34coil/64" whip combo, the 2:1 VSWR bandwidth is 1.6 Mhz. That means you can cover the entire 10M band with a 2:1 VSWR. I have not tested the NMO34 coil on CB, because I use a small CB antenna matcher in line with my NMO34. (I use an MFJ 1705H bypass switch to switch in the CB matcher). I have tested a NMO30 coil with 64" whip on CB (centered on Ch.20) and it works great, but again it has a 1.6 Mhz bandwidth which gives a 2:1 coverage from 26.4 to 28 Mhz. More than enough for the CB band (and freeband if anyone cares). I would recommend the NMO30 coil with 64" whip for CB'ers (who are unlicensed).

So, would you say that the best NMO setup for going from 27.0-28.6 Mhz would be the NMO30+spring+64" whip?

I have had an NMO27 for a long time for CB, but I am looking at combining my amateur usage and 27 Mhz ops into one antenna.

Thanks,

JD

length to trim?

Hi again,
I procured an nmo34, a springb, and a w640. What length did you trim the whip to, and for what center freq?
Thanks,
JD

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.