• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

magnum 257 rx tx problem

earthquake

Apr 7, 2009
england
hi guys. i have just got a magnum 257(second hand it still had the stickers on the side) its a nice rig it all works with good power and sensitive recieve! BUT iam finding that the clarifier is of centre! it has to be at about 10 oclock position to hear any locals that sound right on ssb lol. it also seems to have an unlocked clarifier so it slides on tx which i find is a pain ! can any body tell me if there is an adjustment to centre the clarifier? if so where is it? or how to put the clarifier back so it is only for recieve? many thanks for any help 73s rich.

do like I did just pull off the plastiic knob under the rubber one its on a fine spline and just center it up..quick fix....the clarifier tracks that way ..a from the factory..both mine do

hi there. thanks for the replys. i must admit iam likeing mr gumbys idea lol this sounds like a common problem then? are they all like this?? is there a mod to put the clarifier back to rx only?? i dont understand why it would tx slide on the clarifier not when its all prosessor controlled!!! thats the sort of thing you would do to a rig that wasnt supposed to go onto the zeros or alpha channels!!! i ve never had a rig that has done that before and ive always had no problems at all with the clarifier just for rx . i did read that someone mentioned rv108 to adj clarifier centre ? but not sure if that applies to the 257 range? many thanks for any help 73s rich.

do like I did just pull off the plastiic knob under the rubber one its on a fine spline and just center it up..quick fix....the clarifier tracks that way ..a from the factory..both mine do

I did the same thing with mine. It was bugging me that it was at 10 o'clock all the time, so off came the knob and I put it at 12. Now my brain seems to be happy that it is "centered". There is plenty of range in the clarifier to tune in everyone even though it is technically "off".

I wonder how many chop shops charge people for an "alignment" when they really only adjust the knob! :laugh:

RT307

hi there. if i sent it in for an alignment it would still slide on tx ?? i live in england and would probably cost me more to send it than what i paid for the rig!! it works very well its not deaf it sounds very good on tx on ssb and fm its just of on rx on ssb and gets complicated when your talking to more than 2/3 people on ssb !! i would be happy if i could just unmod the clarifier so it is just used for rx only! many thanks rich.

hi guys. i appreciate your time! well i finally snapped today while talking to my friends on ssb its just impossible to talk to 3 people !! SO ive done the easy thing for now ive moved the clarifier nob to 12 oclock position and reset the pots so it sound ok on tx (used my counter) and touch wood it sound really good!!!! no complaints of being of frequency any more! whooohooo! iam still not likeing the clarifier slide on tx but iam thinking it must only be a wire with supply volts to make it slide? does anybody know what one it is? 73s richy.

hi guys. i appreciate your time! well i finally snapped today while talking to my friends on ssb its just impossible to talk to 3 people !! SO ive done the easy thing for now ive moved the clarifier nob to 12 oclock position and reset the pots so it sound ok on tx (used my counter) and touch wood it sound really good!!!! no complaints of being of frequency any more! whooohooo! iam still not likeing the clarifier slide on tx but iam thinking it must only be a wire with supply volts to make it slide? does anybody know what one it is? 73s richy.

So you set both TX/RX?? which pots?

thanks

hi there binrat. all i did was follow the instructions that i got from cbtricks for the 257!! all mine needed was t26/t24 adjusting (t26=usb/t24=lsb pots) and now everything seems to line up tx/rx!! you can get all the alignment specs and vr locations from cbtricks. hope this helps. 73s rich.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.