• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

magnum 6500R

Not shure but I just paid and bought on of those online tonight new in box! Like to run it in my Sierra with a 2950 in front of it.

Reactions: 1 person
If it is built like the old Magnum 6000 it will have 4 2sc2879 Transistors inside.
They also ( back then ) had electronic regulated bias that was adjustable, adjustable SSB delay ( inside on the board) and the 6000 also had a small jumper you could move for high drive or low drive.....It was always recommended that you chose the hi drive position.
Should have a wrap around heat sink, usually gray/silver anodized Aluminum with a gray or blue face.
Some models had a Low/High/Med switch on the front, or a 4 power rotary switch, low/med/high/max and a 5 pole filter built into the output.
I used to run a 6000 on ten meters, great amp except like all of these the heat sink is a bit too small, you need to put a fan or two on the top to keep them cool, especially if you are going to run AM/FM mode.
DO NOT OVERDRIVE THEM!
Regardless if they are called High drive or not 4 or 5 watts in AM/FM mode and about 20 watts max pep in SSB is good
They will produce a nice clean signal at about 300 to 350 watts on ten meters if you drive them with a clean radio.
If they are indeed the same amp as back them, they are not bad for what they are.

Jeff

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the one I just bought should be here monday according to the tracking info.

3_E83_M63_N75_Nf5_G55_Kcd2rdb171b566a60185e.jpg

3_Ec3_L93_I15_Lb5_G95_F4d2r7e4b19dafb81178a.jpg

well got the amp today and looks great and seems to be new as stated by seller, so not a bad deal for $200 to my door. Cant see the transistors but I would imagine they are 2879's.

CIMG0659.jpg

CIMG0657.jpg

CIMG0658.jpg

CIMG0655.jpg

CIMG0656.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
It looks like a good build, it is different than the ones with the gray face.
It used a strip-line board and had a different layout.
Do not let anyone twiddle with any of the vr`s in that amp.
Put a couple low profile fans on top of it and treat it nice.
If it is 100% and that clean you got a good little amp.
(y)

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for the heads up Jeff, just looking for a radio to put infront of it, looking for either a magnum 257 or a 2950

Very nice! Ive been trying to find one of these for ages :) Wish i could have found one for $200 as well lol!

well got the amp today and looks great and seems to be new as stated by seller, so not a bad deal for $200 to my door. Cant see the transistors but I would imagine they are 2879's.

CIMG0659.jpg

CIMG0657.jpg

CIMG0658.jpg

CIMG0655.jpg

CIMG0656.jpg

Believe it or not I finally hooked this up to test it out and seems to work ok, have been testing it out on my 2990DX, and it will take some good swing if need be.

It will not need a lot of drive, see the resistors on the inside of the power level switch?
I have seen my share of this style amp with these resistors discolored or scorched from simply being over driven.
baby it

Jeff

Reactions: Crusher

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.