• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum delta force mosfet conversion

Chipper

Dec 18, 2018
Hello I have a magnum delta force with both 2sc1969 finals blown and was asking if anyone has ever put irf520’s in this radio I have several of them and would like to go ahead and convert this radio to them driver and finals rather than spend the$ on real 1969-2166 from rf parts

Someone more knowledgeable than I (and that's pretty much everyone here) should be able to give you the details.

My opinion (and yes I used to have one of those radios, and I also have an opinion + one arsehole) is that the final product just won't produce much joy.

That radio has zero adjacent channel rejection and it seems that everything is noisy in that rig.

YMMV. Just one man's opinion.

Reactions: Chipper
Someone more knowledgeable than I (and that's pretty much everyone here) should be able to give you the details.

My opinion (and yes I used to have one of those radios, and I also have an opinion + one arsehole) is that the final product just won't produce much joy.

That radio has zero adjacent channel rejection and it seems that everything is noisy in that rig.

YMMV. Just one man's opinion.
Man I love mine great ssb rig...
Man I love mine great ssb rig...
Me too I loaned this one out and it came back like this and I really don’t want to run a cobra 29 long lol it’s my back up

If you can replace the parts with the same type. A lot of people do the fet mod to pick up some extra watts and not as a repair. Usually end badly for the radio. Extra watts are not there and some instructions are not complete missing a vital jumper or capacitor.

Reactions: Chipper
Ok thank ya tallman for the reply
Yea I’m not after the extra gain just wanted to go ahead and convert it to get due to price and availability of the old originals. I’ve converted my cobra 2000 to a fet just in the final section only and had to turn it down after burning the first 520 up but the 2000 now might do 5 pep watts more than stock but that’s all and the locals say it real clear where it’s at now unlike before when I had it all peaked out swinging hard

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I’m trying to learn how to work on these radios for our locals here to keep my dad and locals enjoying there hobby and it’s now pulled me into enjoying workin on them and helping out most of them don’t need real complicated repairs and such but there’s been a few head scratchers so far. This form has been the biggest help to me it’s fun of super smart individuals that put there advise out to help and I really appreciate it. They still ain’t happy that I put the modulation limiters back in there cobra 148-2000 galaxy 2517-ssb echo base radios but I use the scope to set the modj with they really sound better than use too

I'd just pony up for the 2166 & 1969s and never let anyone borrow it again. Haha.
I have a first gen Deltaforce and I really enjoy it. The parts are packed pretty tight in the final section of these rigs, and while very similar to an RCI final section, it's a bit different. In the end you'll be much happier with the stock replacements. It's easier to install and it will work without issue.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.