• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum OmegaForce S-45 HP Review

I have the latest version of the OF S45HP. After using it for about 5 months, I've come to some conclusions about the radio.

I don't know about other S45's, but my unit had very sloppy factory alignment. Right from the get-go, my clarifier had to be set at about the 11:00 position to center it on frequency. Second, the FM receive was poor, because the discriminator was not properly aligned. These are both very easy fixes if you have the alignment instructions (attached).

The other issue I have is the uP occasionally glitches, i.e.: the button group stops working. Simply turning the radio off and on fixes this, (unplugging the radio from DC for a minute is useful too). It only happens rarely.

Once these issues are addressed, the radio works great.

Attachments

• omegaforce_alignment.pdf
    6.2 KB · Views: 58
Thank You Ed for the info. But i am waiting on my Optima. It has been shipped.
Yes, we know that! You breathlessly :drool: mentioned that in your post in the Optima thread, and in your PM to me. ;)

My purpose in adding that post was to inform the thread of my observations for completeness and informational purposes.

stumbled upon these posts today 13th of July, I have had a new Omega Force for about 8 months now and like it so much I bought another for the base. I do have a Delta Force that got me into this Omega Force frenzi. I did purchase a new connex 566 when they first came out and love it to death but the Omega Force just does a lot more and can get all those freebanding channels that the Connex might miss even with the correct mod and 10K switch. So really for the money the Omega Force for me is a hands down winner, guess I'll put the S9 that I bought new in april up on Ebay and hope it doesn't get booted off, very good radio, great recieve but really how many 10 meter radios do I need

A very knowledgeable man told me that the Omegaforce with some reengineering could be a great radio for what it is. Maybe dd18 is up for the challenge.

I know there is info on how to align the S45 online; it just isn't informative enough. I would like to align those radios I have. But I just cannot get into the way it is explained. Very cryptic to me. I can do many other radios, but I am frankly not up to this challenge at this time with the OmegaForce.

I would like to see RF Limited write up a definitive service manual for it. I think there are many others that would benefit from having a tune-up manual that is as clear and annotated as a Cobra 148 GTL - as an example. It would need to include photo locations of test points. Sure that SAMS has it; but it could prove to be in the best interests of those who own these radios and also play around with keeping them in a proper state of tune. Would give a bit more confidence in owning/using one - IMO . . .

I don't know about other S45's, but my unit had very sloppy factory alignment. Right from the get-go, my clarifier had to be set at about the 11:00 position to center it on frequency.

could be down to the radio being aligned in a different climate (chinese sweatshop) than your local climate, these export radios are very temperature sensitive, i've seen them shift frequency when the ambient room temperature has moved a few degrees. sadly not just a fault of magnum radios but of most if not all cb/export radios to a degree.

Second, the FM receive was poor, because the discriminator was not properly aligned. These are both very easy fixes if you have the alignment instructions (attached).

very common fault on new out of the box magnums,wtf? magnum s9's are notorious for it, just ask bob85, he's sick of realigning them.one of the first things thats noticed about them here in the uk where fm use is prevalent.

I know there is info on how to align the S45 online; it just isn't informative enough. I would like to align those radios I have. But I just cannot get into the way it is explained. Very cryptic to me. I can do many other radios, but I am frankly not up to this challenge at this time with the OmegaForce.

All those chats with Sam Lewis, and you haven't thought to ask him how to align your own radio, staggering.:LOL:

Would have been the first thing i asked him about.

The S 45HP is an attractive radio which I have been following for some time. From what I have read on the forums the latest ones seem to have most of the bugs ironed out now. :confused:

How do they perform straight out of the box? I don't own one as yet but is there an advantage in having the radio aligned , peaked and tuned? I don't want to over ride the radio where it shortens its life so I would probably leave the power settings as they are but is the alignment and tune an almost mandatory tweak.

I was thinking that if you needed more power it would be better to run an amp rather than pump up the radio.

Is this correct?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.