• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum OmegaForce S-45 HP Review

Superb radio. Everyone I have seen works perfectly out of the box; no need for "peak & tune", "Super-wack-pack" or "Turbo-tune" or any other intentional molestation and ruination.

I don't know if you're a radio amateur, but if you are, the last thing you want is any kind of peaking and tuning, which may ruin it's performance on 10M (which is excellent, BTW).

You will want the radio dead stock. It would be useful to know if you're a ham, as I have some ham-related info on that radio. Stuff that the "expanded mode" doesn't do. In other words, it's a real 10M radio, with repeater splits, CTCSS tone and coverage right to the end of 10m (29.700). This is why I bought mine: it's great "CB" radio with all the bells, whistles and noise-toys, and great AM "schwing", and it's a great 10M radio with all the features that hams want. Perfect.

In terms of power, it will do 50W average out of the box. Magnum claims that this is about 75W PEP, but in my experience with amateur HF rigs, (Yaesu, etc.,) they rate those rigs' PEP as the same as the CW carrier output. My own FT-990 does 100 + watts CW carrier out of the box, and Yaesu rates the rig at 100W PEP. So that is what I use, and have used for years. CB manufacturers like to hype the PEP outputs to make them sound more powerful ta they really are. The S45HP will do 50W single tone (which is the same as CW carrier). So 50W it is. 50W is a tad too much even for a 4-pill 2879 amp. Luckily, the S45HP has a power control. The average 4-pill 2879 will handle 50W in, but you're stretching it's IMD specs and looking for increased distortion. Having said that, the Ameritron ALS-500 is rated at 50W input, and it is a 4-pill 2879 amp, so guide yourself accordingly. ;)

The S 45HP is an attractive radio which I have been following for some time. From what I have read on the forums the latest ones seem to have most of the bugs ironed out now. :confused:

How do they perform straight out of the box? I don't own one as yet but is there an advantage in having the radio aligned , peaked and tuned? I don't want to over ride the radio where it shortens its life so I would probably leave the power settings as they are but is the alignment and tune an almost mandatory tweak.

I was thinking that if you needed more power it would be better to run an amp rather than pump up the radio.

Is this correct?

Oh... another thing... if you are going to run an amp, I would recommend a good, decent 4-pill 2879 amp, like the Texas Star DX-500. It's already Class AB. Since it's Class AB, it's a true linear amp, with an almost straight-line proportional input/output graph. 5W in will do over 100W out, 10W in will do over 200W out, etc. At around 40W in, he graph starts to level off (due to saturation), and the relative output drops. This is all within spec, but it's useful to know. Anything less that four 2879's and you're just farting around.

I run a Palomar Elite 900HD with extensive bias modifications (I installed an Ameritron ALS-500 bias board in mine). The radio's 50W drives it to full power and more (600+ watts or more). That's all you really need, plus any more and you'll have to modify the car's electrical system.

I have 2 of them one used for a base and the other in my truck, one I got new the other used from Ebay, most of my talking is 11 meter SSB operation or in between doing a little freebanding in the 27.4 whatever area, with the rfx75 unit on the back when new they both did about 40 to 50 watts, tuned a little but not wide open they easily do 75 to 80 watts, if you talk a lot it will get hot but with that I guess the mosfets lower their output so as not to blow up, I have never got any of mine that hot but my local radio buddies have. The recieve is great also, I usually run my rf gain just past half way and still get weak signals enough to give me a 2 to 3 s unit on the meter. Just an all around great radio, dead on frequency cold or hot, no galaxy drifting or anything like that, to tell you the truth I can't understand why anybody would buy anything else this radio does it all, including the memory for channels, another great feature

I have 2 of them one used for a base and the other in my truck, one I got new the other used from Ebay, most of my talking is 11 meter SSB operation or in between doing a little freebanding in the 27.4 whatever area, with the rfx75 unit on the back when new they both did about 40 to 50 watts, tuned a little but not wide open they easily do 75 to 80 watts, if you talk a lot it will get hot but with that I guess the mosfets lower their output so as not to blow up, I have never got any of mine that hot but my local radio buddies have. The recieve is great also, I usually run my rf gain just past half way and still get weak signals enough to give me a 2 to 3 s unit on the meter. Just an all around great radio, dead on frequency cold or hot, no galaxy drifting or anything like that, to tell you the truth I can't understand why anybody would buy anything else this radio does it all, including the memory for channels, another great feature
There ya go... all true. IMO, the difference between 50W and 75 - 80W is very slight, and will never be seen on the other end, so I leave mine at 50W. It's cooler on the rig and less stress, IMO. It's your choice though.

this has probably been covered already in this thread , but can someone tell me if the 45HP can cover 10 meters , 12 meters and the CB band ?

thanks

this has probably been covered already in this thread , but can someone tell me if the 45HP can cover 10 meters , 12 meters and the CB band ? thanks
The radio, in it's various configurations, does not cover the 12M band. It starts at 25.165 and goes up to 29.699. It covers the 11M and 10M bands completely.

Configuration info attached...

Attachments

• omegaforce_s45_hp_freq_info.pdf
    180.8 KB · Views: 27
BTW - if you do purchase this radio and don't have a Ham license - then PLEASE stay off of the Ham 10m freq (28mHz and above)!

It isn't worth the trouble and expense of HUGE fines and court and attorney cost.
Really.

Most Hams do not care if you use the so-called 'freeband'; - those freq's below 28mHz. Such as 27.555mHz. Please just do not interfere.

Owning this radio can be dangerous to you wallet if not operated responsibly. It also gives you the option to seek out your Tech license and then be able to use the 10m portion legally. It is a little hard to do; but I also think you will earn a proper sense of accomplishment if you take the time and small expense to go that short distance.

/s/Robb

pig_police_cartoon.jpg

Have a diffrent model?

I got the version with the Magnum S45Hp on faceplate with the smaller taklback board. I looked at the jumpers and they are completely sheared off. Both #2 and #4 are soldered together with the zener diode cut. Are they doing this at the factory now to cover all frequencies? I thaught I got a lemon, but this came directly from the factory.:thumbdown:

Yes Zulu Lima, they are now "cutting off" the jumpers at the factory and shipping them this way. This is word direct from both Sam and Eric Lewis. It's supposed to deter people from "easily converting" the radio to run in extended frequency mode, which is any frequency below 28.000.

HOWEVER all you have to do is carefully unsolder the freq. board between the backsides of the 2 jumper pins that are soldered together, and then solder the ones you want, then hold the CPU reset button in for 10 seconds and you're done.

And yes if you are not a ham radio operator, you're best bet will be to just solder only the CON4 terminals...that way you will stay in the CB frequencies, and you will not have to worry about "accidentaly transmitting" somewhere where you shouldn't.

Also to clarify, getting your ham ticket is not hard to do, and yes this radio will be good to use on 10 meters if/when you do get your ham ticket...in fact you will legally be able to use it from 28.300 to 28.500 on USB when you get your tech ticket (entry level license) and then when you go up for general (next step up from tech) license, you can use 28.500 on up to 29.700 on USB

But...if the radio is converted to run anywhere but 10 meters, then it's already in FCC violation, and if FCC decides to drop by and check your stuff and find it is set to run outside 10 meters, you risk losing your ham ticket and a hefty fine. You see ham operators are held to higher standards than CB operators. Not trying to scare you, but just telling it how it is, just so you know.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.