• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum OmegaForce S-45 HP Review

The mfr's suggested retail price for the Magnum OmegaForce S-45 HP is $350. The radio does not ship directly from the factory in North America. One would need to contact your favorite radio store/distributor that sells Magnum International products. If not in stock yet; they will order it for you.

I wanted to say that Sam Lewis was most helpful thru the entire process of putting this review together. I felt that Chris Holland did an excellent tune work on this radio! Everything was spot-on. I think that it points out that any shop doing work on one of these radios can have similar expected results. I would ask my tech to not try to squeeze every possible watt out the RFX-75, let it run cool and trouble-free...

Additionally - I do have some news from Sam Lewis at RF Limited. They are in the process of having an update to their website due to popular demand. I will post that link when it becomes active.

Also - Sam told me that they are going to release a new mic. He will be getting me one for the purposes of review as soon as it becomes available to him. It is a re-make of the Astatic 575 handheld ceramic mic - which is no longer in production. He said that it will be enclosed in the same clamshell as the 2018Xtreme and Turboe-echo mics.

We have also discussed putting a SX-175 amp on my non-HP OmegaForce.
Could be one of the very first one from RF Limited!

So...Stay tuned

The guy that is saying "You're about to burn my antenna up" - that is ME - on my OmegaForce during skip conditions. Said it because he was 30+ S-units in my receive - that's right. I was talking to a radio operator called "456 Monkey Radio" in North Central Oregon - about a 1,000 miles to my N. This should be a fair audio sample of what the OmegaForce sounds like. I might have the echo level a wee bit higher than I normally run with. Lap it up...

YouTube - Triple 4 skip shooting

"When other "Ham" friends of mine tell me - without my asking- that this radio is a real winner and is one of the best - if not the best- sounding radios they have ever heard -in their many years as Hams; what would you think?"

honestly .........
i cant imaging a export with a stock mic will sound as good let alone better than a real ham rig with an audio rack and studio mic . i would think the folks saying that were pulling your leg , telling a lil white lie to make you feel good or just simply had never herd a real clean station . real clean stations are hard to find on the chicken band , but theyre out there . one of the cleanest locals here runs some kind of big buck tube mic with a seperate audio rack and he sounds phenomenal .

be careful with superlatives ;)

I am just a CB'er but like Rob i do know about studios and clear sound and all that garbage. But for all you Ham Oper. maybe you should buy this Export radio and have Chris Holland set it up for you and see for your selfs. Look at it this way if ya don't like it you can sell it. That way you will have your own thoughts and comments on how it sounds. I have seen some moanin and crowin but for Rob to take out of his everyday routine to do this for all of us ??? Heck i think that is pretty DARN GOOD of him to do all this. Thank you again Rob for all your time that you have put into this project. FYI i am going to buy one of these units and see if Chris can set this up for me. And if i don't like it ? well ya'all will see it for sale.

Hello:

I bought a MOF S45 here in Mexico almost or over 3 years ago,out of the box radio was a good talker,nice extra features,etc,anyway radio when haywire in 5 months,radio die,will power up but nothing else.

Thanks to a friend who is an active member at another cb forum,he talked to Sam Lewis about my situation because I bought the radio in Mexico and they honored the warranty and guess who was asigned to fix my radio ?

Chris Holland in California.

Took 2 weeks to get it back to me because I live in Mexico and only cost me shipping to him via ups.

Also in my personal opinion radio preformance is way better than it was stock,TX/RX Audio etc... is a loud radio.(radio was re-aligned)

On the air I got many compliments how good my radio sounds,clean not overdrive(I don't use the echo)with stock mike and mike gain set @ 12 o'clock.

Magnun(Sam Lewis and Chris Holland) are doing an excellent job.

My 2 Pesos
Tecnicoloco

I asked Sam if they had any plans to build any 10 meter radios with triple-conversion receive in them. He said that the OmegaForce uses a CPU to control the PLL, SSB, FM, etc. This arrangement is more than adequate enough to turn any dual-conversion radio into an ultra accurate receive unit. The only other radios that have this kind of arrangement is the RCI 10-11-12 meter radios. So, as far as receive and transmit accuracy on the OmegaForce, it has few peers with this type of circuitry involved.

since it uses a cpu does it have any white noise problems like the rci 29xx radios do ?
i know theres a fix for the 29xx's . seems like they would do it at the factory though .

since it uses a cpu does it have any white noise problems like the rci 29xx radios do ?
i know theres a fix for the 29xx's . seems like they would do it at the factory though .

No; no white noise problems that I can detect with the ear.
At my base station, I am less than 30 ft away from a ~2,000vac power wire - and 50 ft away from the transformer. There is some static generated from this. Ona rainy day, it pretty much vanishes.

Rob

Since 10 meter has had a few opening lately give that thing a try on 10 meter FM repeaters?

Repeater Output 29.620 - Input 29.520
Repeater Output 29.640 - Input 29.540
Repeater Output 29.660 - Input 29.560
Repeater Output 29.680 - Input 29.580

Ummm...I suppose I could.
Not a bad idea.
I will need to get a manual antenna tuner so that I can match it up to my IMAX for that part of the band. The IMAX has a 3Mhz bandwidth - which is pretty decent. But it is built/tuned primarily for 26Mhz to the top of 28Mhz. I usually just talk between 28.3 to 28.5/USB/phone at/around. Maybe I can find a used tuner locally for cheap and hook it up and run the repeater function and report on this thread.

Check the SWR on the inputs using that IMAX, I bet they are under 3 which should be usable without a tuner.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio