• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum OmegaForce S-45 HP Review

So they included FM mode, and offsets, but no CCTSS?

Dumb. :whistle:

I wonder if they could have ditched some of the childish crap like echo and talkback and included a useful feature instead?

Of course not. :mad:

So they included FM mode, and offsets, but no CCTSS?

Dumb. :whistle:

I wonder if they could have ditched some of the childish crap like echo and talkback and included a useful feature instead?

Of course not. :mad:

That's basically what I said, too. I know, I know...without echo and talkback and echo, they wouldn't sell as well. If they must have echo to sell, put it in the mic and use the freed up space in the radio for the CTCSS board. Then, you could also use the echo pot on the face for something useful, like Bass & Treble TX tone control. Wouldn't that be novel? What other export has a feature like that? None, I think? Certainly that would appeal to the CB user, too.

For those CBers that do use echo, there is NO DOUBT that the Magnum radios have the best echo/talkback unit installed - hands down winner. If anyone wanted to put a pl tone board in - they are cheap and fairly easy to install. Or even to have a shop put one in.

I would like to see a 2 turn clarifier knob on it. The SSB performance is really that good - a 2 turn pot would definitely be an practical change - IMO. No one else does it in this market - I'm sure they could.

When on 10 meters; who uses AM mode? 28.300mhz to 28.500mhz is for USB. FM up in 29mhz and above. The Modulator does not function on anything but AM! Just thought I would remind of that fact as it seems to be forgotten. On SSB, only the TopGun compressor is working.

rob , if you have a 2950DX to compare it with how would you say the 45-hp compares to it recieve wise . the 45 is probally a stronger/louder AM talker , but most 2950DX's ive herd sound acceptable IMO on AM . id trade some TX for better RX cause i can always flip a switch to help the TX out .

I said that IF the RCI's were to be on the same plane as the OF (because of both mfr's having the CPU-controlled VCO, SSB, AM, FM, etc...) - they would need to put in a speech processor.

I made most of my comparisons to what I did have - a Galaxy and a Grant XL. Mentioning the RCI was necesary because they are the ones that have that kind of CPU controll, and any other spin-off that RCI makes with that main board platform that are on the market. I've used -not owned- an RCI 2950DX and it had impressive SSB, but I felt that was its best feature. The receive was no better. If it didn't read that way, I'll correct it.

CPU controlled VCO's are the wave of the future - IMO. So is SMT. I can't flip a switch for more TX, as I have neighbors that I keep happy using less than a 100 watts. I'm pretty amped about trying this radio on a 4 element beam when skip is in. Who needs power? Channel 6 AM?
Thanks for asking...

I'll be taking this radio for a test spin in the mobile - probably tomorrow.
I'm hoping I will have some skip conditions tomorrow. But if not; I have some locals that will help me get some feedback for this test.

I know this radio makes a better base station than a mobile; but I want to see for myself just how it behaves and performs...

I have another pressing project in front of me before I can hook up the OF in my car for a test spin.

Maybe in a couple of days if time permits...

For those CBers that do use echo, there is NO DOUBT that the Magnum radios have the best echo/talkback unit installed - hands down winner. If anyone wanted to put a pl tone board in - they are cheap and fairly easy to install. Or even to have a shop put one in.

I would like to see a 2 turn clarifier knob on it. The SSB performance is really that good - a 2 turn pot would definitely be an practical change - IMO. No one else does it in this market - I'm sure they could.

When on 10 meters; who uses AM mode? 28.300mhz to 28.500mhz is for USB. FM up in 29mhz and above. The Modulator does not function on anything but AM! Just thought I would remind of that fact as it seems to be forgotten. On SSB, only the TopGun compressor is working.
Since I made a comparison to the RCI 2950 & 2970 DX -which has a CPU-controlled PLL like the OmegaForce- it is also interesting to note that these RCI radios DO NOT come with CTCSS tone board either! The frequency display on the RCI 2950 DX & 2970 DX isn't a real-time counter either - just a display as the OmegaForce is.

SO for those who may consider this an important feature, the PL tone board unit has to be put in the RCI 2950 DX or the 2970 DX as well. That levels the field considerably. None of the radios in this class has these installed, unless you put them in yourself!
:oops:

Attachments

• ss64.jpg
    ss64.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 166
The mfr's suggested retail price for the Magnum OmegaForce S-45 HP is $350. The radio does not ship directly from the factory in North America. One would need to contact your favorite radio store/distributor that sells Magnum International products. If not in stock yet; they will order it for you.

There is no factory in North America. Those radios are made in China

Don't know about the Magnums, but I am pretty sure the RCI radios are not using a "display" and the radios show the actual frequency being transmitted on.

Since I made a comparison to the RCI 2950 & 2970 DX -which has a CPU-controlled PLL like the OmegaForce- it is also interesting to note that these RCI radios DO NOT come with CTCSS tone board either! The frequency display on the RCI 2950 DX & 2970 DX isn't a real-time counter either - just a display as the OmegaForce is.

SO for those who may consider this an important feature, the PL tone board unit has to be put in the RCI 2950 DX or the 2970 DX as well. That levels the field considerably. None of the radios in this class has these installed, unless you put them in yourself!
:oops:

Nah, I talked to them today. They use a display the same as the OmegaForce.

Pretty sure JR told me today that they do show the actual frequency, which is read off the PLL and not a preprogrammed display which may or may not be the actual frequency being transmitted on.

I purchased my new Omegaforce S45 HP and love the radio. Here is my new set up.

I use my old Royce 1-621 and the new purch for the Omegaforce.

Omaga1a.jpg

The back heatsink does heatup so I installed a fan that plugs in to a power strip and can turn off at will
Omaga2b.jpg

A closer look at the custom fan
Omaga3c.jpg

I made a custom bottom plate and painted it to mount the radio to. Put rubber feet on it so the radio will not slide around, I love this new base setup
Omaga4d.jpg

I agree with the review of this radio, I have been using it for a month on 10 and 11 meter, yes I have a Ham lic. I have gotten great reports from everyone on both bands. The rear heatsink does get hot and recommend some type of fan. I run a Astron RS 35 amp power supply, no problems. I ran a Astron RS 15 for one week with no problem either, but the 15 amp did get hot and need a fan on it. The warrenty is great and you can even get a 2 or 3 year extended warrenty. I talk with Chris and Sam on the phone about my radio, great support from them. I purchase my radio from CB Shop 41 from Howard for $275.00. I give this radio 10 out of 10. I have been a Cber since 1974 and a Ham since 1990. I am also a retire Air Force Ground Radio Troop (old sparky). My radio goes from 25.160 to 29.699
Sig.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some better pics of the custom base plate I made to make a mobil radio a stable base station, without tipping over.
baseplate5.jpg

baseplate1.jpg

baseplate2.jpg

baseplate3.jpg

baseplate4.jpg

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.