• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum radio parts made from unobtanium?

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
So here's a problem that comes up over and over trying to fix a Magnum radio.
Where the devil do I find a part for it?

In this case, a pre-2006 bipolar S9 radio had a scratchy and intermittent mode selector. Cleaning was no help. Made me wonder if someone had jammed a knee into the knob somewhere back up the line.

No matter, the selector had to be replaced. Here's what it looks like, removed from the radio.

gUDCsb.jpg

So just where on earth will a new one come from? In this case, a substitute is the only viable solution that I found.

These rotary switches come from Ebay/Taiwan. Not sure if they are genuine "Alpha"-made parts, but the part numbers are the same. This one is a two-pole 5-position switch. They call it "SRRN-152". A search on Ebay should take you right to it. We have used the other versions of this part for a slew of radios over the years.

This is the preliminary setup, with the diodes you saw behind the old selector replaced with totally-generic 1N4148 diodes.

PzsBDg.jpg

The wire colors don't appear on the schematic that's posted online for this radio. The terminal numbers on the plug where the wires terminate *ARE* shown. Had to jot down a translation list for which color selects which mode. That's the basis for this final set of instructions for the tech here to wire up the new one. Yes, terminal number 1 has nothing connected to it. That's where "PA" is on this radio. Er, was on this radio.

xJDaW3.jpg

The sharp-eyed reader will wonder why there are so many more clipped-off wires on the old selector than this diagram shows. Those wires are only for PA mode. I chose to ignore the PA feature altogether. Those wires get capped off with shrink and pushed out of the way.

QhJho6.jpg

This will still leave the receiver speaker disconnected. This brown wire from the external-speaker jack to ground takes care of that.

XJZGv9.jpg

Where there's a will there's a way.

On a good day.

So here's a problem that comes up over and over trying to fix a Magnum radio.
Where the devil do I find a part for it?

In this case, a pre-2006 bipolar S9 radio had a scratchy and intermittent mode selector. Cleaning was no help. Made me wonder if someone had jammed a knee into the knob somewhere back up the line.

No matter, the selector had to be replaced. Here's what it looks like, removed from the radio.

gUDCsb.jpg

So just where on earth will a new one come from? In this case, a substitute is the only viable solution that I found.

These rotary switches come from Ebay/Taiwan. Not sure if they are genuine "Alpha"-made parts, but the part numbers are the same. This one is a two-pole 5-position switch. They call it "SRRN-152". A search on Ebay should take you right to it. We have used the other versions of this part for a slew of radios over the years.

This is the preliminary setup, with the diodes you saw behind the old selector replaced with totally-generic 1N4148 diodes.

PzsBDg.jpg

The wire colors don't appear on the schematic that's posted online for this radio. The terminal numbers on the plug where the wires terminate *ARE* shown. Had to jot down a translation list for which color selects which mode. That's the basis for this final set of instructions for the tech here to wire up the new one. Yes, terminal number 1 has nothing connected to it. That's where "PA" is on this radio. Er, was on this radio.

xJDaW3.jpg

The sharp-eyed reader will wonder why there are so many more clipped-off wires on the old selector than this diagram shows. Those wires are only for PA mode. I chose to ignore the PA feature altogether. Those wires get capped off with shrink and pushed out of the way.

QhJho6.jpg

This will still leave the receiver speaker disconnected. This brown wire from the external-speaker jack to ground takes care of that.

XJZGv9.jpg

Where there's a will there's a way.

On a good day.

This is why after my first magnum took a shit i never looked at another as i was told about the repair issues. Reminds me of Royce, another brand i stay far away from.

Reactions: NZ8N and Justme
It's called preprogrammed redundancy.
Whatever the (electronic) article parts are only keppt up till the warranty of the last one sold is run out maybe a bit longer.

I get it, for the producer keeping a warehouse full of spare parts is very costly,special half conductors etc with no warrranty they will ever be used up totally, leaving them with unsold, unusable stuff to dump away.

Add to the throw away society we live in, we're used to throw away something electrical when it conkks out, and buy new, only when the warranty is valid we take it in to be repaired.

Still a pity though, I saved many electronics by having a decent spare supply of stuff and salvaged spare parts, giving a new lease of life to an good product fit for the job.
Getting too old for that sh*t now...

Bob’s CB was a Magnum warranty center. Perhaps Bob’s may have the Unobtainium or some NOS substitute Chinesium in stock. Only mentioning because Bob’s is a local shop for me and I remember seeing the Magnum Warrenty Center signs.

Reactions: Tokin
Bob’s CB was a Magnum warranty center. Perhaps Bob’s may have the Unobtainium or some NOS substitute Chinesium in stock. Only mentioning because Bob’s is a local shop for me and I remember seeing the Magnum Warrenty Center signs.

Bob's was always one of the best for Magnum radio's. There was a place in Ontario,CA that did Magnum warranty work too. I still love all my Magnum radio's but it's a shame that for some models parts are tough to find or not made.

Interesting ...

I have a S9 and 99v both with 69 finals.
If I were to sell one maybe the S9 would be the one.
Both bring crazy prices.

Good info nomadradio ...

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated