• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S-6 or Stryker 440 ...Help!!

'As much as I like magnum line of radio's I think the Stryker is far superior. Go Stryker.'

i have an S6, 2 S3's, an M1 and 2 strykers. (don't ask why :shock: ) i have no problems with any of them, used in bases or mobiles. i like the topgun, once you figure how & when to properly use it, and admit it does have a different sound. but, since they are mostly the same radio with different face plates, WHY is the stryker far superior???

i see little if any difference in their receivers. as for transmit, it's an 'apples-to-starfruit' deal, but honestly am heard farther & with better reports with 35 'topgun-on' watts versus 50 stryker-watts. i have not had, nor have any desire to have any of theses radios snipped, clipped, wackpacked or any other stupid animal trick played on them. if somebody else gets 5 or 10 more watts out of theirs....if it makes them happy.......anyway, with a 4 pill davemade, locally, there is no difference, unless we're too close together. with the 4 pill on DX, there is no difference at all.

i guess i just missed what makes it 'far superior'. if you can tell me, maybe i'll put the others up for auction and get more strykers.[/quote]

The Stryker has a single driver into a single pill for its PA board. The Stryker has two unique roger beeps. Look at a Stryker vs a Magnum S6 on a scope. The Stryker should show a cleaner pattern. The Stryker has a quiter receiver. I believe this is because unlike many 10 meter radios it is not overamplified in the 1st If strip. Audio is loud and clear.

I understand that the echo board is similar or the same and some of the external features are the same or similar.

I have read on other forums that some techs are having problems with the EKL components used in the newer Magnums. They are not holding up in the field and do not like to see variance in swrs. I can't speak to this but it may be something to consider.

Jericho Willie said:
I don't think either are superior radio's. If you want clean run a Cobra or Uniden.

Your opinion is noted, but that wasn't the question he asked. But since the thread is now about to be sidetracked, maybe you can enlighten us with the basis for your opinion which was stated as a matter of fact?

OK, cbshack-forget the echo boards, from what i SEE, the main boards are 'similar or the same', and i do not see ANY difference in the receivers of the 6 radios i own. readability or ability to copy a distant signal is nearly the same on any of them. 'should show a cleaner pattern on a scope' is like saying the first bite of the burger should taste better then the second bite....they're the same. well, with the topgun off, at least. or close to it. i find the ekl swaps totally worthless, but factory installed-don't own any, yet-have yet to SEE anybody have a problem. BUT-THE STRYKER HAS 2 UNIQUE ROGER BEEPS!!!!! if that makes it FAR SUPERIOR to any magnum, then one, i'm in the wrong business-i should be building & installing '2 unique roger beep boards', and second, you sure convinced me! that roger beep DEFINITELY makes the stryker far superior to the magnums! :?: :?: :?:

my 'name' tells you what i prefer, so i may see where jericho willie is coming from, but i still wanna know why the stryker is FAR SUPERIOR?????? i sure don't see it.

davegrantsr said:
but i still wanna know why the stryker is FAR SUPERIOR?????? i sure don't see it.
It is engineered better. Have you had the opportunity to open both of them up and see the difference? There were a couple of locals here who said they were the same radio. It was clear they haven't seen the inside of one.

Now, if this question is about semantics, then maybe "FAR" superior would be hard to argue. Superior, YES, but "FAR" superior? At the end of the day the Stryker is still just a CB that is superior to other import/export "amateur radios".

guess i got robbed then. my S3 (think that was the one) board looks just like the stryker board....actually, MOST look the same inside. engineered better??? OK, so MAYBE the up-armored receive helps the radio survive the truckstop onslaught of texas star amps in close proximity, and the LACK of topgun technology gives neophytes less things to screw up their audio quality with, but, i don't see, feel or hear enough of a difference to say either one is better then the other. thankyou for agreeing that 'FAR' superior is grossly incorrect, but i think even 'superior' is incorrect. for what it's worth, i suppose they are the current cream-of-the-export-crop, both need assistance to drive either my DC box or steel tubed box, and i have yet to hear or see one that truly outperforms the other. if ANYBODY else can offer proof that the stryker is FAR SUPERIOR, i'd love to hear it.

OK, FINALLY a response to that query(that has been asked in more places then just here) with some meat on it! i have MANY strong feelings on the subject & hope you are willing to BRIEFLY clarify for us neophytes! i have not got the knowledge to argue any points, and since i am one who has to pay for my equipment to operate at its best(no, i did not build my DC box, nor my AC box, nor do i do anything other then basic channel mods, slide mods, etc), am willing to listen to those who don't snip & clip, wackpack or god knows what else. i want to hear those who hear me, & i want them to hear me unmuffled, on freq & without needing to guess what i said. so...

front end protection...i assume you mean from overload, but nothing will prevent problems from 25kw at 10' away. 60 over DX signals have yet to show any difference to me on either, but....

broader AF range, i guess that should be 'how RCV audio sounds', again, no difference to MY ears, but tell me what i'm listening for...

i have yet to blowup any magnum power transistors, but overkill can be a good thing. stryker, 1.

floating RF issues....are we talking the difference in S-series magnums vs the delta/omega chassis designs, as in RCV, or is this a cleanliness of XMIT/less RFI issue?

sufficient bias to driver....45 watts MOL vs 60? that isn't an issue to ME, but can't the magnum be corrected after the fact?

IF stage issues, again, talking RCV? side by side, mine show no differences, but....

not trying to be a wisea** here, but that is what i've been waiting to hear for a long time!!! not about a switchable roger beep!!! would love for you to elaborate, or at least clarify the above. my mind is open, as well as my wallet-people will buy anything on ebay :gdlf, so if the stryker IS that much better then my magnums, they could be packaged up in their original boxes post haste ;).

what about an SSB stryker? when, where, & will it be that much more radio then the magnums?

while i still think the magnums i have are pretty much 'better' then any other exports i've used over 30 years, now i have something to look at. THAT is what i have been waiting to see in 'net-land, for the masses to read, not just 'so & so told me...'.:D

magnum v/s styker

I am still wondering, how so many people have an opinion on a stryker when they haven't sold that many?
As to the Magnum's, I haven't found any radio I like better. No matter who has what on the inside, the magnum wins hands down as the MOST AUTHoritative for AM. Having said that, if someone has been in it after the factory, I wouldn't want it.
Just an opinion from a satisfied customer.
marven :roll:

marven, i do have an S9 as 1 of my base radios at home....no stryker there because i DO use SSB frequently, which is why i'm anxiously awaiting an SSB stryker. as i posted, i really don't NOTICE any difference between my S-series magnums & the SR440HP, but NOW that i have things to TRY to compare, i can decide for MYSELF what I prefer. while i tend to prefer my XL's to exports in any mode, and even my HF rigs over exports-for SSB at least-my magnums have worked flawlessly & ALL get awesome signal reports. BUT, the stryker get nothing different. the difference in power output due to the topgun requires different driver amps for different radios, but it's not much of a big deal. i've had no problem with either brand, & cannot personally recommend 1 over the other-yet. so, i agree with you that magnum :rknrl , as someone with the luxury of having both, i can say, stryker :rknrl too!

Stryker??

Ok guys I didn't bother to read all the other posts on this subject but correct me if I'm (he's) wrong . I had a radio tech tell me that a Stryker uses the same board as the Magnum S-XX series radio. I have not seen or heard of Stryker offering a radio. Is this the same Stryker that makes the antenna's with the same name?
Thanx
Paul

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.