• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S9 Repair Help

9C1Driver

Aug 13, 2008
Ok so I ended up buying this on the forum late last year.

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/magnum-s9-for-sale.235741/

When I finally had time to mess with it the display is all janked up. Here are some still shots but it just shifts around but you never know what channel your on. A local tech seems to think a cap or some other part has gone bad but he does not know enough about these radio's. Here are the pics. Anyone have an idea on what's up? Kinda wish I would have passed on this one but we will see I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_7721.JPG
    IMG_7721.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7714.JPG
    IMG_7714.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7708.JPG
    IMG_7708.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 49

Does it receive on frequency? Does it transmit on frequency even though the display is janky?

If I remember correctly there were two versions of that frequency counter display board. It also controls the channel display and I believe the frequency’s themselves. The only place to get one now is Avera Distributing way over the pond and they’re expensive. That is, if they even have any left, I might have grabbed the last of them, don’t remember.

It could be as simple as replacing capacitors, it’s certainly at the age that it wouldn’t hurt.

If seems to receive, I never keyed it up because I never knew what channel I was on. For sure was a bad purchase, needs way way more work then a simple frequency alignment.

Last edited:
If seems to receive, I never keyed it up because I never knew what channel I was on. For sure was a bad purchase, needs way way more work then a simple frequency alignment.
TX into a dummy load low power.and monitor. Does the frequency stay stable with no mod(external freq counter)? Look for cold solder joints. Heat(what is not shiny for sure crystal legs) and beat(gently rap on the chassis with a soft handled driver) will fix that radio. If I am wrong feel free to smote me.

The main PCB is essentially a Galaxy style board - note the L6 coil being unshielded serves as that reminder.

But all functions are handled thru the MCU - a tough egg to crack...

When the internal Frequency counter - being a stand alone - works like that - ouch.

Right now on E-Bay the last several working S9 radio's sold for $472,$311,$439, and $311. If I do dump it I will try and get $100 for it and take the loss. If that don't happen I will have it fixed at some point or keep it for parts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.