• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum s9 Variable power?

seekyou

Apr 30, 2015
My S9 is great but although the Variable power is good on AM/FM it doesn't work on SSB. 45W PEP at whatever setting. Is this normal for these? If so is there a mod I wonder?
Pete

My magnum 257HP is the same. They sent an addendum with mine stating to turn RF power all the way up then use the mic gain to control the power output. Kinda flaky if you ask me. Maybe try it that way and see what you get. Might work. Good luck with a fix.

My magnum 257HP is the same. They sent an addendum with mine stating to turn RF power all the way up then use the mic gain to control the power output. Kinda flaky if you ask me. Maybe try it that way and see what you get. Might work. Good luck with a fix.

Yes thats the manufacturers "get out of Jail" excuse for not inc SSB power control. Turning the Mic gain doesnt achieve much unfortunately . It obviously will reduce the average output but you loose any punchy audio because the ALC isnt given the chance to Kick in. Might try increasing the upper ALC Voltage ..Anyone tried this ?

Nope, I just used mine like it said in the addendum and ran it at full output. I did install a good brushless fan on the back of mine that came on with the radio and stayed on. I don't use it now. The optima mk3 took its place. It does have proper rf variable power on SSB!

My S9 is great but although the Variable power is good on AM/FM it doesn't work on SSB. 45W PEP at whatever setting. Is this normal for these? If so is there a mod I wonder?
Pete

You try to see if it works without the top gun on? I know that is for AM but might have effect on ssb?

Way back in the days before plastic radios that was indeed the way you adjusted power on SSB. You would tune and load your tube finals for maximum output then switch to SSB then back off on the mic gain to achieve the desired power output. It does the same thing. You should never be running a radio such that the ALC is kicking in all the time.

Way back in the days before plastic radios that was indeed the way you adjusted power on SSB. You would tune and load your tube finals for maximum output then switch to SSB then back off on the mic gain to achieve the desired power output. It does the same thing. You should never be running a radio such that the ALC is kicking in all the time.

Have to disagree with you there. The ALC is not just a limiter but enables you to talk up the average peaks to give some gain without flat topping. Hence lots of Ham radios have an ALC meter to keep in the green or whatever. But you are right about the plastic radios. I have a lovely TS520S with real metal case! Yes you can turn the mic gain down but without any ALC it sounds bit wishy washy.

Interesting that the Magnum 257HP doesn't control SSB power, my Magnum 257 Blue Face (Mosfet version, no HP) controls both AM and SSB output with the variable. Wonder why they'd change that to just AM on the HP version.... odd.

~Cheers~

Have to disagree with you there. The ALC is not just a limiter but enables you to talk up the average peaks to give some gain without flat topping. Hence lots of Ham radios have an ALC meter to keep in the green or whatever. But you are right about the plastic radios. I have a lovely TS520S with real metal case! Yes you can turn the mic gain down but without any ALC it sounds bit wishy washy.

Just to note what I meant about the ALC. When I said about not wanting it kicking in all the time I didn't mean just registering on the meter. I meant HEAVY ALC limiting where it is limiting all the time or being driven beyond the "green zone". ALC normally reacts to peaks so it limits gain leading to that pumping sound. Compression is far more effective in raising average levels than talking up the ALC level especially if it is done at the RF or IF level. My TS-820S has a wonderful IF level compressor that works far better than today's audio level compressors. There is a reason manufacturers are going away from DSP audio processors and going back to RF level processors.

image.jpg Not sure exit 13. Here is the copy of the addendum that was sent with the radio. Bottom of the page.

Can't believe I found that lol! Didn't think I had any boxes from the 3 I had. That is the last box and the only one left (radio as well). Might try to mount the ts140s in the mobile and use it for a spell.

Not that the optima has any issue. Just time for some change. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll have enough left over from my taxes that I just did a couple weeks ago to get me a new toy lol!! Icom 7100 looks nice!!

Not that the optima has any issue. Just time for some change. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll have enough left over from my taxes that I just did a couple weeks ago to get me a new toy lol!! Icom 7100 looks nice!!

Interesting stuff! Think I can now see it from both angles. I remember on some of the older ham radios there were some mods that involved putting a 9V battery and a 5K pot in series and connecting it to the rear accessory socket. Some sockets had access to the ALC circuit which was intended for use with early linear amps. I sometimes think the only reason they don't put some features on radios is that they run out of space on the front panels?

Interesting stuff! Think I can now see it from both angles. I remember on some of the older ham radios there were some mods that involved putting a 9V battery and a 5K pot in series and connecting it to the rear accessory socket. Some sockets had access to the ALC circuit which was intended for use with early linear amps. I sometimes think the only reason they don't put some features on radios is that they run out of space on the front panels?

One of the reasons for doing that was that some radios have a 100 watt spike upon transmitting even when the RF is turned all the way down. The external fixed ALC voltage eliminated that issue. Others like the Kenwood TS-140 had flaky slide pots that were prone to going intermittent and this was a work-around.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.