• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum s9 Variable power?

Maybe it has something to do with who tuned the radio and what they did. I have both a 257HP and an S45HP, I can dial the SSB power down to 4-6 watts on both. Hmmm. My Deltaforce will dial down to about a watt.

image.jpg Idk, but all three of my 257HP's came with the Addendum that I put up Few posts back. This was directly from Magnum. Bottom of the page.

Yes thats the manufacturers "get out of Jail" excuse for not inc SSB power control. Turning the Mic gain doesnt achieve much unfortunately . It obviously will reduce the average output but you loose any punchy audio because the ALC isnt given the chance to Kick in. Might try increasing the upper ALC Voltage ..Anyone tried this ?

Oh jesus....

You do not lose punchy audio. Because of how SSB works your audio sounds no quieter. If the ALC is kicking in its BECAUSE YOU ARE OVERDRIVING THE RADIO. It does not make you sound louder, the L stands for LIMITER and if its kicking in its limiting. You just have a wider more splattering dirty signal if it does.

In short, you do NOT want the ALC kicking in.

I have mine on my amateur radio gear to barely show anything at all. I'm still putting out 100W on peaks, I don't have anyone telling me my audio is quiet, I get lots of compliments about my audio and I make it through pileups because people can understand what I'm saying amongst the cacophony of noise.

Oh jesus....

You do not lose punchy audio. Because of how SSB works your audio sounds no quieter. If the ALC is kicking in its BECAUSE YOU ARE OVERDRIVING THE RADIO. It does not make you sound louder, the L stands for LIMITER and if its kicking in its limiting. You just have a wider more splattering dirty signal if it does.

In short, you do NOT want the ALC kicking in.

I have mine on my amateur radio gear to barely show anything at all. I'm still putting out 100W on peaks, I don't have anyone telling me my audio is quiet, I get lots of compliments about my audio and I make it through pileups because people can understand what I'm saying amongst the cacophony of noise.

Hey! Calm down friend!

Point taken! Its never too late to learn you know!
Found this interesting article;
http://www.sm5bsz.com/dynrange/alc.htm
worth a read

All the best!

I used to run one of those Magnum S9 radios, the one I had, had those 1969 finals in it and was the best radio think I'd owned, used it mostly on AM, some on SSB too....but used that radio on the base and mobile for close to 5 years, and it ran really well with all the amps I ran it with...ran with a amp had the TG mod off, and without a amp rad the TG on...only down side I saw was it would drift a little on SSB...not sure why...all and all it was a good radio...

I used to run one of those Magnum S9 radios, the one I had, had those 1969 finals in it and was the best radio think I'd owned, used it mostly on AM, some on SSB too....but used that radio on the base and mobile for close to 5 years, and it ran really well with all the amps I ran it with...ran with a amp had the TG mod off, and without a amp rad the TG on...only down side I saw was it would drift a little on SSB...not sure why...all and all it was a good radio...

Yep. Great radio for sure.
I also now have a 95T2 now recently acquired. Wow this is a beauty! Great TX and nice Rx Audio (With an ext speaker..The one in the radio is so small you would miss it without looking carefully!) Up to 150W PEP. Now on this radio I CAN turn back the Output power with the front panel control without touching the Mic gain...but only down to about 80W. On FM and AM can vary between 10 and 45W. I think variable power is dark art....:sneaky:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.