• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum S9

20CB110

Nov 3, 2006
NORWAY
Have anyone here used this radio?
I have considered this radio for a while but have a few questions.

How is the recieve compared to a 2950DX AM, FM, USB, LSB?

I have had a Delta Force which didnt have good enough ears for me FM mode

Is it a stabil radio considering drifting on the freq?

Pros and cons your opinion.

frmboybuck said:
Ive had 2 of them and would never waste my money on another.....Just my $.02

+1, it was a splatterbox as soon as it came out of the box. the recieve was quiet but not that sensitive, and if you are using it in close quarters (within 1/2 mile) of a radio on a close frequency forget about it because it had very little intermod rejection.

the volume on mine was very touchy. up to about a 1/4 turn made no difference, if you touched it a hair more it would blow you out of your chair because it was so loud. i used mine as a base so i used an amped external speaker and controled the volume that way. it was pretty hard to see at night as the blue overpowered everything. i kept a pic of whne it was in moderate light conditions, it was ok but once it got dark you didnt see anything.

the knobs of course wobbled all over the place. overall build quality left alot to be desired to me.

conversion was easy, it was pretty stable as far as drifting goes. it was easy to see durring the day, at night it was not so.

i still use my 2950 daily, i love the scanning function. its easy to use and has been reliable sence day one (better part of 10 years now).

In other words if you want a 2950 then that's what you should get. If you want a loud am/export radio then stay with a Galaxy 77,88,99,48T,93T or 95T or a Connex 3300hp, 4400hp, 4800 DXL or if you have the cash then the new 4300-300 connex. All of the above radios have very sensitive receive (If the person who tunes it has a clue) and all of the galaxys i have had are about as stable as you will find in an radio of its type. If you don't care about the extra channels and just want a loud 40 channel just about any Cobra or Uniden that is well tuned will damn near smoke most of the export radios i just listed.

King Mudduck said:
In other words if you want a 2950 then that's what you should get. If you want a loud am/export radio then stay with a Galaxy 77,88,99,48T,93T or 95T or a Connex 3300hp, 4400hp, 4800 DXL or if you have the cash then the new 4300-300 connex. All of the above radios have very sensitive receive (If the person who tunes it has a clue) and all of the galaxys i have had are about as stable as you will find in an radio of its type. If you don't care about the extra channels and just want a loud 40 channel just about any Cobra or Uniden that is well tuned will damn near smoke most of the export radios i just listed.

I have a 2950DX along with a 2995DX and a Pres lincoln, Pres George and a Pres Jackson DX, but i cant have to many of theese things. I just dont want to buy a S9 and get dissapointed from what i am used with, but i want a classic looking but powerful radio to.

Kind of liked the big meter of the S9 but im hard to please and wont spend money on it if its junk.

What about the Cobra 200GTL DX?

If you are used to using those radios then I can guarantee you will be disappointed in an S9. Its not even in the same class

20CB110 said:
What about the Cobra 200GTL DX?

Just as bad as the S9. The Cobra would be a decent buy for the price if they ironed out it's faults from the factory.

" Ive had 2 of them and would never waste my money on another.....Just my $.02 "

Hey Frmboybuck, whats up here man, you used to blow and blow about how great your Justin tuned (gutted) Magnum s9 was. Now all of a sudden it's a POS ? What happened?

I have been running a Delta Force for 4 years now and have tried to find something that all the locals say sounds better, so far no luck. I have tried a Galaxy 45MP, Galaxy 99, Magnum S9, Magnum S3, and a Cobra 148 GTL DX+. Each time I would run the two side by side and the Delta was the winner every time on the air.

The Galaxy 95T2 does seem like an exellent radio along with the 2970.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.