• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Making my problems look bigger........

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
Another "different kind" of question. As I get older... my vision is getting incrementally weaker. I thought I would ask....

Do any of you involved in repair... use a magnifying/illuminating lamp of any kind? I was thinking of getting one to help locate those "pesky small" parts that like to hide. There are a bunch out there ... I just thought that I would throw the question out to see if anyone had tips, suggestions... warnings?????

I would imagine that "glass" is the only way to go as plastics and resins and stuff can fog/scratch/fade. But what else might it be handy to know? Is 1000x magnification enough? Is 6000K light enough brightness?

I'd appreciate anything anyone might offer!

Thanks,
Bob

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

For background, what got me started looking... is this darned JC Penney Pinto 23 that has a problem (AFTER MY DUMB SELF clipped a ground onto the heatsink of the audio/regulator transistor and didn't think about it being the darned HEATSINK..and thereby the collector of the transistor. It was clipped on about 5 minutes before I smelled the "heat". Since then... any time you power it up... transmit is keyed up.

Troubleshooting it...for the most part... isn't a problem.
What IS a problem is that one of the resistors I am looking for... is hiding from me.

Parts are extremely dense as the board is on the smaller side.
The silk screening does NOT have the part callout... it has the part value.
The image in the SAMS is as grainy as it can be... (they ALL are!!!).
I can't find the thing by the silkscreen OR the color bands.

A little handheld magnifying glass (plastic!) isn't cutting the mustard.
Snapping a photo on the phone and spreading it larger isn't dynamic enough.

Getting old.... sucks!!!!! ;)

That is what started this......

I have wanted something like this for a while. For $40, I would click the button to buy it and not think twice. Unless it's a piece of junk, but then Amazon has free returns.

View attachment 67467

I followed your link, saw it offered a $6 off coupon. I just bought one. (I'm a sucker for cheap anything) ((I need help)) I will let you know what I think of it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.