• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Marconi's Gain Master vs. a correctly installed Starduster

Sometimes my antennas don't work right when they are all by themselves . . . then again, they may be lonely.

Well Homer, I have seen both of my Top Ones affected by antennas lying on the ground beneath them as much as 20' feet high. In those cases I saw irregular bandwidth curves, but I could not tell anything by operations. I think that is the nature of these antennas with a large hoop at a voltage node.

I'm not sure what kind of affect I should see when antennas are mounted too close together however. In such situations I've never noticed any thing like the irregular BW curves noted above.

Maybe MrS, with all of his experience, or anybody else...can tell us what really happens when I have my antennas about 36' feet apart, does it help, hurt, affect one and not the other, or have little to no affect to regular operations.

Last edited:
nice pics marconi. have you ever did a 1/4 wave comparsion say
starduster vs top one?
just curious? you tested alot of antennas as of late
nice job.

Yes I tested my Marconi 6x vs. Old Top One with the tips at the same height back in 2009. The Marconi 6x was made using 4 x 102" ss whips, 3 x 72" whips, a mirror mount L-bracket, A99 GPK, 3 radials horizontal, and 3 radials slanted down at about 30* degrees.

Here is the report: View attachment Marconi 6x vs. Old Top One 2009.pdf

Maybe MrS, with all of his experience, or anybody else...can tell us what really happens when I have my antennas about 36' feet apart, does it help, hurt, affect one and not the other, or have little to no affect to regular operations.

Come on MrS, how about a response?

Ah well, seein' as MrS's is just plain full of it, and can't answer what would seem to be a rather simple question, then maybe somebody else out there can tell us what might be expected to happen when two antennas are close together...and thus affecting their performance somehow, for good or for bad?

I hear plenty of you guys complain about this issue of comparing antennas side by side, and I would just like to know how you tell or how do you know that something good/bad is happening in such cases.

I've tested and compared most of my CB vertical antennas at my location and I see very little difference when mounted side by side or mounted alone at either mount. The only difference I notice at times is one location shows a bit more noise than the other, and even that is not always noticeable on my radio's signal meter, even when I can hear a little difference.

If you have ever complained about someone using side by side testing, it would seem to me that you have some bases for your contentions for what happens, or else you've just been parroting some CBBS words on a restroom wall at truck stop somewhere.

Marconi, I'm disillusioned. I thought you believed in Santa Claus. I do. I saw him at the maul and read it on the internet.

Seriously, now what I do really believe is there is a potential interaction between too close antennas. After all, we rely on this for the construction of Yagi, and other sympathetic arrayed antennas, etc, to accomplish the goals that we set by doing so. In those cases there are measurable/observable differences in before and after performances. And I believe you also expect that there are near field influences upon antenna radiation propagation.

So I am assuming you are asking for those who continue to play down your efforts to come up with some empirical/anecdotal data to support the expected interactions of near together/less than a wavelength from each other antennas showing how these interactions were experienced.

If so, then I'd say it would require someone who has measured antenna response before and after doing singly mounted antennas and A - B setups toward that end. To your credit I will say that you are the only one offering any data on this forum that could be looked at for that empirical information, although it was not specifically toward this end that you were doing the tests both ways.

Did you ever hear the old proverb that more flies are caught with honey than vinegar? No? Never mind. ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.