• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maybe CWM can Help?

C2

Aug 3, 2005
My neighbor has taken up arc welding/stick welding...he uses something like this:

arcweldfund1.jpg

Do you know what that does to the noise level? I guess it's kind of like a spark gap transmitter.

So there is no chance of ham activity when he is welding, which he does all the time now when I'm off work.

I'm not sure what angle I can approach this from?

I would talk to him about it, and explain the situation. If he's decent, perhaps everything will take care of itself.

Perhaps you can each set up a sked so you're both not doing your thing at the same time.

I would NOT call the FCC, unless as a last resort, or if he's a total dick. Remember you gotta live next to this dude.

It will create an ungodly commotion on HF. I can only imagine the noise. Think about it. Hams (and CB'ers I suppose) are always complaining about arcing insulators. One guy in QST even had RFI from a neighbors 12 volt krypton bulb with a broken filament. But an arc welder??

You have my sympathies.

Be diplomatic about it (buy him beer), try to arrange in skeds, or maybe after a few months his interest will wane. I'd try the FCC as a last resort.

I think I'm gonna start thinking about moving. Their entire family is, well, intimidating with their low riders and their tatoos, etc...and few of them speak english. And I think they got their own beer covered.

Well looks like you have it covered all but the fcc thing. Being a welder of about 20 years I will tell you if you call the Fcc they ARE going to tell you there is ABSOLUTLY nothing they can do for you. As the noise you are hearing is RF generated by the arc and can NOT be filtered in any way if he's using the smgw process in your diagram the noise is actualy generated in the arc gap between the tip of the rod and the work surface. It is a very nastie little area that generates not only huge amounts of RF but the higest levels of UV radiation on earth outside of a lab inviroment. If it were me I'd try to talk to him and see if you can work out some kind of agreement. or if you get lucky he will tire of his new hobby? (but your statement about the low-riders leads be to think not)

Good luck

Chuck

He actually seemed to perk up quite a bit when he learned that it was bothering me :twisted:

And I'm sure the FCC could not do anything about it.

I don't know what 7018's are :?:

Charlie Marbles beat me to it about the FCC. There is absolutly nothing illegal about a welder and nothing can be done to suppress the RFI from the arc.Perhaps if you informed him politely about your problem maybe you could come to an agreement.I know when I still lived at home many years ago I had terrible RFI whenever my father struck up an arc in the garage about 140 feet from my tower and antennas. :(

QRN said:
Charlie Marbles beat me to it about the FCC. There is absolutly nothing illegal about a welder and nothing can be done to suppress the RFI from the arc.Perhaps if you informed him politely about your problem maybe you could come to an agreement.I know when I still lived at home many years ago I had terrible RFI whenever my father struck up an arc in the garage about 140 feet from my tower and antennas. :(

Well, they WILL got after electrice fences, so it's worth a shot.
All they can do is say no. Email rholling@fcc.gov and see if he can help. Ya never know until you ask! :D

the E-7018 rod is a very easy rod to weld with and is usualy used for nuclear and pipeline work the E stands for Electrode the first two numbers are the tinsile strength of the finished weldX 1000 so for this rod you can see it has 70000 psi of tinsile strength(resistance to pulling apart) the next number is the usable positions for the rod in this case 1 denoting it is an all position rod and finaly the 8 indicates that this rod can be used for DC+,DC-,and AC welding. Now you know what a 7018 is and with a bit of thought you can figure out what an E-6013,E-6011,well you get the point:)

And Mr. CWM there is a very LARGE differance is a fence that CAN be grounded and arc that can NOT be filtered at the sorce in ANY way, as you like to say "come on a little common sence here please"

Chuck

Ok, testy!!!! :D I didn't SAY they would do anything, I just said it worth a shot, OK? However, ANYTHING that emits RF energy is under FCC's purvey, such a fences, baby monitors, garage door openers (Part 15 devices), so you never know unless you ask them about.

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.