• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mckinley Arrived today

jrd426

Sep 5, 2018
Hello, i decided to order a pres mckinley recently to use mobile rather then a 980ssb. Mainly for the front firing speaker and some other things i like better then on the 980. I purchased it from big online supplier and it arrived on my doorstep mid afternoon. It arrived in its original president radio box (not packed inside a shipping box) and got around to trying it out early evening. The radio works ok other then needing to have the control for coarse tuning all the way to the right to receive ssb properly. Pretty crappy indeed..It will be returned in the morning. The radio looked perfect on visual inspection after being unboxed and all looked sealed so pretty sure they didnt send me someones return. Debating on trying again but not sure yet. Guess these things happen.

Hello, i decided to order a pres mckinley recently to use mobile rather then a 980ssb. Mainly for the front firing speaker and some other things i like better then on the 980. I purchased it from big online supplier and it arrived on my doorstep mid afternoon. It arrived in its original president radio box (not packed inside a shipping box) and got around to trying it out early evening. The radio works ok other then needing to have the control for coarse tuning all the way to the right to receive ssb properly. Pretty crappy indeed..It will be returned in the morning. The radio looked perfect on visual inspection after being unboxed and all looked sealed so pretty sure they didnt send me someones return. Debating on trying again but not sure yet. Guess these things happen.
Yes, they do happen but more and more so these days. Quality control is an afterthought these days.

Same thing happened to me when I got my first McKinley ( Clarifier way off ) and it seen 3 repair shops before the last one told President to send me a new one. ( stress & aggravation ) I will say the new one that President sent me is top notch. The course and fine adjustment stays at 12 Oclock and I never touch it. ( The way it should be ) The only thing I would do different is I should have waited for the FM model to come out, But that could be Another problem in it's self, because like said before Quality Control is in the Toilet ! LOL

Same thing happened to me when I got my first McKinley ( Clarifier way off ) and it seen 3 repair shops before the last one told President to send me a new one. ( stress & aggravation ) I will say the new one that President sent me is top notch. The course and fine adjustment stays at 12 Oclock and I never touch it. ( The way it should be ) The only thing I would do different is I should have waited for the FM model to come out, But that could be Another problem in it's self, because like said before Quality Control is in the Toilet ! LOL
Crazy yours also had a whacked clarifier control. Kinda makes one wonder if its a common problem on the current run of the radio. Not sure if i will try another one or not yet. Agreed qc is in the toilet it seems

Reactions: whiteastro
Crazy yours also had a whacked clarifier control. Kinda makes one wonder if its a common problem on the current run of the radio. Not sure if i will try another one or not yet. Agreed qc is in the toilet it seems
After they sent me a good one I was forgiving and bought a President Lincoln II+ and the same BS with that one. The radio everyone is bragging about is the Anytone 5555N2, but would be my luck to get a Friday Afternoon radio. LOL

After they sent me a good one I was forgiving and bought a President Lincoln II+ and the same BS with that one. The radio everyone is bragging about is the Anytone 5555N2, but would be my luck to get a Friday Afternoon radio. LOL
yikes on the lincoln also being a problem as well :( might just work with what i have tbh. Thx for sharing.

yikes on the lincoln also being a problem as well :( might just work with what i have tbh. Thx for sharing.
Yeah I'm going to give the Lincoln 1 more shot at being worth keeping because I think it has potential. I'm getting ready to take a trip to DTB Radio for a alignment and if that doesn't do it I will introduce my Lincoln to my BFH and no matter what President Radio can Kiss my Back Side. My retirement plan is to live a stress free life and just talk a little skip. LOL

Reactions: Keto and jrd426
I guess it all comes down to what type of radio shopper you are. If you are strictly shopping by price and you want an un-touched radio from Amazon or a big retailor then that's what you get. I have done this, you get an ok sounding radio that you hope is on frequency and at least ballparked in to where it should be.

The other option is to buy a radio from a shop that does good tech work. This way the radio is checked over before it gets shipped. At a minimum the carrier levels should be set, make sure the radio in on frequency and the clarifier is at 12:00. The modulation level can also be set. In some cases a radio might even need a complete alignment. The shop could also find a radio that is DOA and they just send it back.

I guess it all comes down to what type of radio shopper you are. If you are strictly shopping by price and you want an un-touched radio from Amazon or a big retailor then that's what you get. I have done this, you get an ok sounding radio that you hope is on frequency and at least ballparked in to where it should be.

The other option is to buy a radio from a shop that does good tech work. This way the radio is checked over before it gets shipped. At a minimum the carrier levels should be set, make sure the radio in on frequency and the clarifier is at 12:00. The modulation level can also be set. In some cases a radio might even need a complete alignment. The shop could also find a radio that is DOA and they just send it back.
Well I bought that Lincoln from Walcott Radio and requested the radio be put on the bench and checked for being on frequency which I would have gladly paid for but apparently it wasn't done. No more money will be spent at Walcott Radio. Too many BS Artist in the radio field and some salesmen have forgot that the customer should be listened to and treated with some respect. ( Money Grabbers )

Last edited:
Good grief ! Just buy an Anytone and be done with it. They work perfectly right out of the box. Or get a used ham rig from Kenwood or Icom.
As I said in another thread, if you have to send the radio to a tech before you can even use it, it is NOT worth buying in the first place !
President radios are only a little ways behind Ranger in terms of going downhill rapidly. A friend recently bought a new Lincoln 2+ and it came brand new with various problems !

Good grief ! Just buy an Anytone and be done with it. They work perfectly right out of the box. Or get a used ham rig from Kenwood or Icom.
As I said in another thread, if you have to send the radio to a tech before you can even use it, it is NOT worth buying in the first place !
President radios are only a little ways behind Ranger in terms of going downhill rapidly. A friend recently bought a new Lincoln 2+ and it came brand new with various problems !
I'm trying to clean my house out not just leave junk behind for someone else. I have a consciences. I can't sell a bum radio and I've already got too much invested in this Bucket List hobby to buy more radios. Hope to be out of this place in a couple years if I don't Kick the Bucket first ! LOL PS. I always like a Road Trip once in a while plus my child hood sweet heart lives close by so I'm going to buy her brunch. There is a method to a old farts madness! LOL

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.