• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Measure once, cut twice part 297.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
So here's a gadget we never tried to market, but I ran myself out of them anyway. Turns out that changing the 6-pin socket on your RCI-type base radio has a steady popularity. The metal adapters that screw into the radio's mike socket put an unexpected leverage against the socket and cause it to work loose before long. Just changing the socket to a 4-pin wired for Cobra/Galaxy now allows you to use all those other mikes with that plug and still have the radio's mike socket stay put.

trbw.jpg

There's more to it than just putting a 4-pin socket in the hole. Got tired of soldering three chokes and three capacitors onto the rear of a 4-pin socket and decided to put it all on a small pc board. Just one problem. It has to fit. The factory pcb on the 6-pin socket is just narrower than the diameter of the socket. Won't fit at all in some radios if it's any bigger.

We won't need the 3-pin socket that plugged into the factory board. No up/down on the mike any more. The audio and ground are on a 2-pin socket, and the transmit wire is in one side of a 2-pin. Makes removing the factory socket fast. Only made sense to put the same socket pins on our swapperoo.

qvvf.jpg

At least this way no soldering iron is required. Just a mechanic who can get the faceplate off, and the transmit LED lined back up when the face is reattached.

But I got stupid and didn't arrange to get more of these. Sold what I thought was the last one in a weak moment. Went to find the CAD artwork to make up an order for more, but no dice. The occasional hard-drive failure is just a fact of life from time to time. But apparently there was no backup for that file. And then EUREKA! Found one last straggler that had not been sold and went about drawing the next version.

Wanted to make it a bit narrower. First version was still a tight fit along one edge. And the transmit-socket pin was too close to the edge for my tastes.

JEJUUh.jpg

Mission accomplished there, but the sharp-eyed reader will wonder about the awkward long lead wire on the right-hand RF choke, draped across the adjacent disc cap.

OHGl2H.jpg

And this is why.

Zjb0np.jpg

Moved the hole for the transmit pin around the corner, but specified a hole that's TOO SMALL for the .025-in pin. DOH!

nenLI3.jpg

But the fix was simpler than forcing the pin where it won't fit properly. Turns out the two holes for the choke were the exact, right size for a snug fit on that pin. The trace unerneath runs from the pin to one side of that choke, so swapping them this way saves the day, in a somewhat-sideways manner.

At least this way I'm no longer out of stock. Won't have to tell the next base-station owner "too bad". But it's not a retail or mail-order product.

Even if I make a batch of 50, the labor cost of selling just one at a time is roughly as much as it sells for on a repair bill. Don't fancy being a parts retailer. The small stuff we sell on fleabay is vastly overpriced, just to cover the overhead. Might consider selling them five or ten at a time. Not gonna count those chickens until I get the error on this board fixed and build the next batch.

But the old advice of "measure once, cut twice" seems to apply this time.

Ebay user name is originalnomadradio.

Might be quicker to just do a search on "Pride DX300 High Voltage".

One of the search results should be the circuit board we sell to replace the factory HV for that model. A click on 'see other items' should get you a listing of what we have posted for sale there.

Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.