• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Merlin Base Up Close and Personal

I would have to agree with that...

And I can name about every reason its broke

wrong size hole
no lube or using wrong type lube for aluminum
not backing up to clean cuttings out
tapping by hand an got sideways with t-handle an broke tap
trying to tap using electric drill

Probably more I can't think of at the minute, but I'll bet it's one of the above

Ron

Hey Cajun,

What's the possibility you could post the diameter and height/length of the coil and the length of the cap hat elements, (center to end) of the Merlin55, along with the length from hub to coil and coil to tophat?

I want to build one of these from $15 of scrap aluminum & some Delrin I have laying around and do my own testing.

I'll be gathering several antennas over the next month or two, then heading out to flat land with an AB-577 tower in order to test multiple antennas and designs.

I'm going to mail the antenna vs number affixed to each to several locals the Saturday before I head out for the test the next day, Sunday, and I'll have a couple of fellows with me to confirm that I'm keeping it honest & accurate.

This way no one will know which antenna they are giving a report on except for the affixed number. I'll record their readings and the next day everyone will know which excelled by how much and to what distance.

I plan to have each antenna at 1.5 wavelength from ground to it's mounting point.
Too bad for those designs which barely stick up past the mount, such as the Astroplane (of which I have an original and which will be tested) as that's just part of that specific antenna design limitations.

I'm, (of course) expecting the .64s to beat out the rest, but it will be interesting to see if the higher angle .25 & .5 wavelength designs outperform the rest when the receiving station is nearby.

I also have a 7/8 I'll be testing if he comes through with the loan.

Anyone wanting to join, attend or just watch their meter, this will be happening near the Sacramento area.

So far, no I-10K, but I'm certainly hoping someone will have one to lend for the test.

I may just buy one since I consider it the Penetrator of the 21st century.

I might even be unveiling a new idea, the 'Trilineal' which is currently in the making.

- And maybe even another big big antenna will be on deck, as in a 5/8 collinear.

Should be fun.

Not so important how it looks under a microscope

Not so important how it looks under a microscope. What is more important is how structurally sound and durable it is and its actual performance. I was told by Charger that those antennas are made of 6061 aluminum, that is among the best around. If the assembled antenna is structurally strong and free of mechanical functional defects, I would say its worth the money. As far as performance, that can be debated, but one this is for sure, it is made out of the best materials, and has excellent structural dimensions.

So, has anyone done a side by side comparison, equal height feedpoint shootout between this and 5/8 GP antenna at higher power?

Not so important how it looks under a microscope. What is more important is how structurally sound and durable it is and its actual performance. I was told by Charger that those antennas are made of 6061 aluminum, that is among the best around. If the assembled antenna is structurally strong and free of mechanical functional defects, I would say its worth the money. As far as performance, that can be debated, but one this is for sure, it is made out of the best materials, and has excellent structural dimensions.QUOTE]

THis could be the be the new slogan for anything made in America these days. Justification for junk.

Not so important how it looks under a microscope. What is more important is how structurally sound and durable it is and its actual performance. I was told by Charger that those antennas are made of 6061 aluminum, that is among the best around. If the assembled antenna is structurally strong and free of mechanical functional defects, I would say its worth the money. As far as performance, that can be debated, but one this is for sure, it is made out of the best materials, and has excellent structural dimensions.

So, has anyone done a side by side comparison, equal height feedpoint shootout between this and 5/8 GP antenna at higher power?

Really do you know how much money is in aluminum? 6061 or not? Charger is a saleman he is out to seperate you from your money he will say anything to sell a $300+ antenna where there is $250 of profit to be made.

I was told by Charger that those antennas are made of 6061 aluminum, that is among the best around.

6061 is a medium strength alloy used for most general-purpose applications, it's not a high stregth alloy by any means.

As a former welder fabricator, I would also question the change from a all around weld to a partial one. If the prototype weld cracked and it was all the way around, a partial weld may flex some before it breaks but it will break. In the grand scheme of things, any forces on the antenna should be mild compared to what a properly prepped, full penetration weld can withstand. Not to mention that there are now places to let water in. Maybe he just needs to learn how to properly weld aluminum lol.

that depends what 6061 grade it is,
6061-t6 drawn tube was used by most of the good antenna folk, its still used in some microlights and other devices that let you soar like an eagle,
nowadays hardly anybody uses it for antennas as its expensive, 6063-t832 is a popular replacement for building antenas, it looks a little prettier on the surface and its almost as strong;)

that depends what 6061 grade it is,
6061 is still a "general purpose" grade of aluminum when comparing it to some of the aircraft grades. So using the term "best around" is not at all accurate and indicates someone blowing hot air up somebodies dress.

I'll agree it's not the easiest thing to weld, but if the metal is cleaned properly and you use a welding machine with a high frequency unit used to weld aluminum, it will look beautiful, and the aluminum itself should fail before the weld ever comes close to cracking.

I guess I just have a problem when I feel like someone is trying to blow smoke and cover up problems. If this was someone's homebrew they build in their back yard, it would be a different story. But this is a high dollar professional build piece. Between the tap left in the hole (which is ridiculous by itself considering how soft aluminum is compared to other metals), and the shoddy welds, I would be more than put off by this piece. Just my .02 and yes I'm very picky when it comes to welding. Not trying to stir any sh*t, just my opinion.

I'll agree it's not the easiest thing to weld, but if the metal is cleaned properly and you use a welding machine with a high frequency unit used to weld aluminum, it will look beautiful, and the aluminum itself should fail before the weld ever comes close to cracking.
I don't remember the model number, but it was a big water cooled syncrowave. It's long passed, but I could never see the "puddle". The skin would fool me and by the time I saw the puddle, it was on the floor :LOL:

Like I said though, I machined and only welded out of necessity and TIGing or sticking all types of steel was never a problem, but aluminum always kicked my ass.

And yes, that's a 3 fluted tap. I remember this deal popping up on another forum a long time ago. They never would admit that they sold a product with a broken tap stuck in it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.