• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

meter adjustment

if you set it correctly people round here whine that its lazy, they are only happy if its hitting the endstop from 20 miles away :roll:

meter spameter !! ......sure they can be "somewhat" adjusted , But do they really tell the truth ? I just think there really something to go by , I can especially understand a radio with a built in SWR meter someway being ballparked adjusted but over the years ,I've had ones that made others look better then they really were and visa versa . I read somewhere once that if "we" ever really had a accurate incoming type meter that it would cost a whole lot of money !! and certainly wouldn't be anything like the little run of the mill meters in these cb and export 10 meter type radios. As I said , I just think there really something to go by on. And it sure is nice to have something to go on . :D

I know the meters aren't very accurate however. I don't want it peggging the case when you key the mic :shock: :? :oops:
It's nice to know if you are modulating or not

I bought one radio a DX66V from Richard(ss8541) and it was set correctly

However most cb "techs" just want to get your money. :x

Most "techs" themselves don't have currently-calibrated instruments in their shops, so they can't do any sort of calibration to any sort of standard. On the transmit side you should be able to see an indication of forward power and reflected power/SWR -- but generally this is only a relative reading; nothing to give you or anyone else a sense of accuracy.

On the receiving side, since there is no true standard for what an "S-unit" is (is it three dB, six dB, or something else?), all the S-meter does is give an indication that Station A's signal is stronger than Station B's signal. By how much, depends on your individual radio.

My tech (Justin) adjusted the meter in one of my General radios as part of a repair/tune up and it seems to be pretty accurate on transmit and receive. It can be done.

Beetle is right , and like I said ,it's really nice to at least have something to go on. And yes ,if you leave a shop and your meter is now slamming the other side of the wall everytime you key down , that meter wont last long and yes you should take it back and address the issue to them , it's only a vr adjustment. I had a buddy of mine not to long ago that I had to tell him to turn his damned radio down all the time because he was blasting me out of my car (over modulated), he said , Well hey dude !! I don't see my meter moving when IM modulating if i turn it down !!!(he thought he wasn't getting out) I told him that didn't matter , that just because you didn't see your meter swinging like there was no tomorrow that you weren't loud and proud becuase he was , he then learned something about his radio after it regestered in his swing'in thick scull !! now he figured out when he was basically over modulated when he saw his meter swing'in for the fences. (-: Yes, it is certainly nice to at least have something to go on , Remember the old modualtion lights on radios ? those were pretty cool , you could learn the flickers on those as well for your modulation and even if you were over modulated !! I always did like those lights. (-: It just ain't rocket science.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.