• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Meter difference question

Cmessina

Sep 1, 2018
Ok I had a "tech" work on 2 of my radios.
I can say he did lower the dead key on both units however he showed me on a Dorsy meter that my Galaxy dx 77 hml was supposed to be swinging 50 watts and my Cobra 29 ltd classic is supposed to be swinging 35 watts.
My question is how much difference in wattage should I see from his Dorsy meter to my astatic pdc1 meter in my truck.

The difference I know is one is a pep and the other just reads swing.
But my Galaxy dx 77 hml is showing around 30 watts on my meter and my Cobra 29 ltd classic is showing 12-15 watts on my meter.

Am I over analyzing this or have I been the subject of a whoops we just wanted to show more watts than your actually producing

A Dosy meter is a feel good loose meter and the PDC should be just as loose. It looks like the PDC meter was recalibrated.
A good accurate meter isn't going to make you get out any better.

Reactions: midnight special
A Dosy meter is a feel good loose meter and the PDC should be just as loose. It looks like the PDC meter was recalibrated.
A good accurate meter isn't going to make you get out any better.
You are right I recalibrate my pdc1 meter with every change I make.

If I change mics or antennas or radios I recalibrate it.
Was taught you always recalibrate your meters after making changes.

I was just wondering if there could be a 20 watt difference between the meters .
I honestly didn't think there was much difference in them.

Ok I had a "tech" work on 2 of my radios.

... [ ... ] ...

Am I over analyzing this or have I been the subject of a whoops we just wanted to show more watts than your actually producing

Yes, overanalyzes yes, but why - see below...

Galaxy 77 if done right, will easily show that 50 watts audio pep on any "forgiving meter"

Cobra is showing about the same on a "forgiving meter" that you'd expect from a typical CB - about 12 watt swing on a non- peak meter.

But, remember - a peak "pushes" the needle a little higher on a non-stock (aka limiter cut) radio - so that's about right.- but pushes on the audio envelope - not on dead key no audio - both PEP meter and Standard meter should read SAME wattage on the SAME radio - Galaxy would and can push more WATTAGE - but again WOULD or SHOULD BE EQUAL in DEAD KEY watts on both meters.

So even though Galaxy can push more watts - the Cobra should push it's own rated watts on one meter - and equal or to be the same on the other meter - DEAD KEY no audio...

Example 8 watts Galaxy no audio on one meter - should equal 8 watts on other meter.

Same for Cobra 4 watts on one no audio - same 4 watts on other...

To make a more fair comparison --- key these radios into the meter with no audio - mic gain turned down all the way and get readings for both radios on both meters.

That way, no pep issues, just carrier - can help you interpret the values far better when you are out using them in the field and can live with the readings you get.

Then if needed - go back to that tech and have him set those meters to read proper DEAD KEY No audio - just carrier - like they should be equal on BOTH meters.

Then once that's done - you can live with yourself and watch the PEP show too...

Reactions: Cmessina
Yes, overanalyzes yes, but why - see below...

Galaxy 77 if done right, will easily show that 50 watts audio pep on any "forgiving meter"

Cobra is showing about the same on a "forgiving meter" that you'd expect from a typical CB - about 12 watt swing on a non- peak meter.

But, remember - a peak "pushes" the needle a little higher on a non-stock (aka limiter cut) radio - so that's about right.- but pushes on the audio envelope - not on dead key no audio - both PEP meter and Standard meter should read SAME wattage on the SAME radio - Galaxy would and can push more WATTAGE - but again WOULD or SHOULD BE EQUAL in DEAD KEY watts on both meters.

So even though Galaxy can push more watts - the Cobra should push it's own rated watts on one meter - and equal or to be the same on the other meter - DEAD KEY no audio...

Example 8 watts Galaxy no audio on one meter - should equal 8 watts on other meter.

Same for Cobra 4 watts on one no audio - same 4 watts on other...

To make a more fair comparison --- key these radios into the meter with no audio - mic gain turned down all the way and get readings for both radios on both meters.

That way, no pep issues, just carrier - can help you interpret the values far better when you are out using them in the field and can live with the readings you get.

Then if needed - go back to that tech and have him set those meters to read proper DEAD KEY No audio - just carrier - like they should be equal on BOTH meters.

Then once that's done - you can live with yourself and watch the PEP show too...

Thanks for the explanation and I can honestly say the dead key is very close to what the tech showed me. To be fair my astatic pdc1 meter actually shows dead key just a tad lower than what the dosy meter showed.

I just didn't want to be cheated by a tech I've had friends get hit by a tech who claimed one power reading and then another tech checked the same unit to find it was much lower.

That's why I asked if there was a difference in what the meters should be reading.

Dosy meter not Dorsy this is why I dislike autocorrect

Turn it off and use word suggestion instead. That's what I do and if I misspell a word it suggests the proper spelling below. I have to touch it to enter the suggested word. Screw that auto-correct stuff.

You are right I recalibrate my pdc1 meter with every change I make.

And what do you use as a reference meter? Why not use the reference meter instead?

If I change mics or antennas or radios I recalibrate it.

Again......why? How do you manage to keep changes in performance straight forward and not a result of changing the meter reading due to recalibrating it?

Was taught you always recalibrate your meters after making changes.

Cannot imagine who would say or do that and I serviced commercial broadcast equipment for 22 years and had hands-on experience at Nautel's test bench. Lab quality test benches simply do routine time based calibrations and not simply "just because they changed something".

I was just wondering if there could be a 20 watt difference between the meters .
I honestly didn't think there was much difference in them.

Not a fan of either the Dosey or the PDC but if they are reading close on dead key and way off on peak (swing) then it may simply be an issue with meter ballistics. Something to consider too is a peak reading meter MUST have a power supply in order to read TRUE peak power. meters with an AVG/PEAK switch that do not require a power source other than to light up the meter are NOT true peak meters. True peak meters need to sample the RF and amplify it and apply THAT voltage to a metering circuit.

Reactions: Cmessina

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.