• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MFJ-989D

If your buying it new and it's calibrated; probably as good as anything similar for relative output and swr. I'm using the 986 and it's pretty close. If I set my hf rig for 50 watts out it shows 50 watts and 100 watts when I set the radio 100 watts. I can tune my amps on the 3kw scale and it shows output where it should be. I'm not fretting over a small margin of error.

Ok seen a TS-480HX pulls @30 or less and is doing @200 watts. Am stumped thought they need about 20.5 amp per sidemakes 41 amp.

Don't know how this is relate to the actual thread but you're correct there Heavy Metal. If you read the specs for the 480HX it's shows 41 amps total needed or 2 PS-53 supplies which I assume are kenwood supplies. There are 2 sets of power terminals, each set of terminals powers 1/2 of the twin final section. Either way it needs 41 amps total. Here is a shot of kenwood's breakdown of the radio.
Read where it states what I said above. Hope this helps. The regular 480HX 100 watt version will or should pull about 20-25 amps I would suppose. Again hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 244
Don't know how this is relate to the actual thread but you're correct there Heavy Metal. If you read the specs for the 480HX it's shows 41 amps total needed or 2 PS-53 supplies which I assume are kenwood supplies. There are 2 sets of power terminals, each set of terminals powers 1/2 of the twin final section. Either way it needs 41 amps total. Here is a shot of kenwood's breakdown of the radio.
Read where it states what I said above. Hope this helps. The regular 480HX 100 watt version will or should pull about 20-25 amps I would suppose. Again hope this helps.

I thought so too. But when he put it on cw sure enough, why I was wondering why radio and the 989D read 200 and power supply was no were near 41amps unless amp.meter is way off?

I thought so too. But when he put it on cw sure enough, why I was wondering why radio and the 989D read 200 and power supply was no were near 41amps unless amp.meter is way off?

I am not sure so I will ask......does anybody know if the TS480HX switches bias when in CW or FM modes? Both of those modes can operate quite fine in class C whereas AM and SSB require class AB for decent performance. If it does switch to class C then the efficiency would increase somewhat and that could account for the 200 watt output with less than expected current.

Capt K, it shows what the brochure says wattage wise on the TS-480HX, also says on power up twin power, so both leads are HOT, at least the radio senses it but, on all bands it shows give or take a watt to 5 watts on like sidebar but power supply meet says 20 to 30 some odd amps. Not even close to 40 and it's a 50 amp supply set at 14.2 volts each side acoording to 2 separate external meters. Just curious on why yet 989D meter shows full power from radio thru the tuner meter even radio meter is toe to toe with it. Just again curious.

I am not sure so I will ask......does anybody know if the TS480HX switches bias when in CW or FM modes? Both of those modes can operate quite fine in class C whereas AM and SSB require class AB for decent performance. If it does switch to class C then the efficiency would increase somewhat and that could account for the 200 watt output with less than expected current.

That seems like a logical explanation. I didn't find anything in their manual in reference to it, but I doubt they would say anyway. Maybe he just has super efficient transistors. :)

Brett

Should it one be worried about this?

At first thought the 989D was misreading it. Maybe is fairly accurate.

I don't have the D model, but have 989C. The meter is pretty close to what I see on my Palstar.

I would figure yours should be fairly accurate as well.

Brett

OK I put the MFJ-989D on dummy load. Here is what I got.

20150715_164141.jpg

20150715_164322~01.jpg

20150715_164022.jpg

Do me get me wrong on this, it's all nice love the tuner, if I was to rate it at what I do and put into it I'd rate it a 9.5, need a few wire antennas and more power and I'd give it a 10 if does as well as this, just weird it's almost dead on with the radio, yet power supply is reading low, but accuracy of the meter on the Tuner got me wondering. And I am at 175 I don't push the 200. But on ssb it does swing 205 - 215.

That seems like a logical explanation. I didn't find anything in their manual in reference to it, but I doubt they would say anyway. Maybe he just has super efficient transistors. :)

Brett

That would be the bomb lol, but not my luck lol, but I posted pics above at a 175 watt key down into the dummy load.

Hey, maybe the meter is low on the Astron?

Nice setup, btw! What are you running (or plan to run) for antennas?

Brett

I think it's going to be a guessing game but I'd guess the Astron meter. I have an older Pyramid supply that always reads low on the amp meter. It never bothered me since the radio is doing what's it's supposed to.

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.