• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Microphone cords

Smokinone

WDX-3820
Jun 24, 2020
Southern Nevada
I've been playing around with some old microphones trying to recap etc. and the cords on a lot, in fact most look like this.

original_cord_A.jpg

The connector end of the cable is cut to the coil, and is a pain to try and a new connector on, although it can be done. Also a lot of them have decomposed and the rubber is failing altogether.

I tried a cable from the bay that had a 4 pin connector on one end and a plug and play flat connector on the other that I cut off to put it on a Road King 60. However it is pretty stiff although it does work OK. It's a shiny black.

4pin_stiff_cord.jpg

stiff_4pin_ready_A.jpg

Then I found some that are Workman MIL10 6 Wire. These are very flexible, flat black, no connector but work very well on the Turner Plus 3, and I imagine others. I've installed 2 so far on my collection of cut down original cords. I had to trim a little off the end of the part where it goes into the base of the microphone as it is a little too large. Trim just a little of the end to a flat spot so it fits under the clamp.
Did I mention these are super flexible, fit nicely in the Turner +3 and SSK. A tad over $8 in quantity from the bay which I think is reasonable. I've an Astatic 576 that somebody's dog chewed the end, not mine, bought it that way, and I think I'll try one of these to replace it rather than the Astatic P417620400 cord at twice the price.
I can't speak to the longevity of these cords, but they are a sight better than the 40 year old cords on what I have.

Workman MIL10 6 Wire_A.jpg

Just thought I would share this if anyone has the severely trimmed cords as most of my base mics seem to have.
I guess you could say this is more of a product review, if that's OK.

Yeah the workman cords are pretty good, I've got a good stack of those myself. They are a little thinner than the others but they've worked well to replace about any cord.

On any astatic 636 I get, the stock cord goes in the trash and replaced with a workman. The stock cord on the 636 looses It's shape after a few days, so on with the workman.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.