• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland 77-882 mobile

Jim Holt

May 2, 2018
Looking for a variable dead key mod for this radio. I have had it a long long time. I bought it brand new back in 1977, the only mods been done to it are the channel mods and a peak job. The radio still works just as good as when I bought it 41 years ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LM336T voltage regulator ...
If you have the schematic...
Pin 1 of the 7205P is B+
Downstream of pin one is connection to C91, R64, then the R66/R73 voltage divider for the ALC (I've played with that but leave it alone)
Past that connection you can insert the regulator.
I remember it working but not that well. I don't recall what the issue was but it was along the lines of needing to adjust the Mod (ALC) along with the voltage. I don't remember getting much of a range either.
There was a mod for PTBM049AOX somewhere in Secret CB but first off I was too lazy to dig and second I was too lazy to dig twice or more to find the correction, the oops and the apology. In short the mods in Secret CB need to be taken with a grain of , well , something .
That's all I ever came up with other than reproducing the later Uniden AM power circuit . Look at how the 142GTL does it .
Schema attached ...Midland-77-882-schematic.png cobra_142gtl_main_sch.jpg Midland-77-882-schematic.png cobra_142gtl_main_sch.jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Not sure, but I do believe this one uses a "Single wind" modulator transformer as a reactance modulator - GE did some of these way back when.

Had one wind to the Driver and Final and a separate tap to the Speaker - when the Speaker opened up (as you keyed) the audio power went to the Driver / Final - with the Driver having a dropping resistor of about 10 ohms or so.

The RF came from the "exciter" and PLL side - with the TX light showing power to turn on the MPS 1923 or "941" predriver and everything "cascaded" from there...

If it's similar to any of the above, usually the "Driver" Audio and Bias R21 10 Ohm resistor is your "jp 36" mod entry point...they are AM only units.

A pic or two of the "innards" would be a big help in identifying the board. We have little info out here about it.

Regards!
:+> Andy <+:

Last edited:
Too bad I can't make any money selling fewer than five at a time of the "Peel and Stick Variable" module. It's not worth enough to suport our transaction cost. And who wants to buy five modules without first trying out just one of them?

It's built to line up with the holes in the Cobra 29LTD circuit board when the jumper wire is removed. Double-stick foam tape holds it to the heat sink surface.

I feel like posting just a schematic of the thing is less useful than a pictorial layout might be.

But here it is anyway.

pnsvkschemow.jpg

Does the job.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.