• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland 79-290 opinions..........

Hey guys, Not worried to much about wattage peak being I am going to run a small amp, as long as it's clean and loud.. I wired up D-104m6b hand mic to it.....I happend to talk to a mobile unit passing through my neck of the woods on 38LSB this morning...I ran a few radio checks with him while he was in range of me....I first hooked talked to him with the midland 79-290 with D-104 hand mic.......He said it sounded real punchy and crisp....Then I hooked up Cobra 148gtl with Turner Super Side kick mic........It sounded good, but believe it or not according to him the Midland had a little more balls on the audio than my Cobra 148gtl.....I did happend to hook up Midland in mobile this morning.....And I was happy with the ignition noise I was worried about.....But I guess there is a built in noise blanker wich was doing it's thing..... There's two things I didn't care for. One was, when I had cover off, I noticed that there was no heat sink compound between transister and chassis......Second is the power plug.....Boy it sure does have some cheesy gauge wire for pos and neg.....I'm still trying to get a hold of Justin......Been trying for a couple of days now and nothing.......He must be busy or something.........Anyways.......Just my 2cts.........73's all

I have mentioned it in the past about applying Z-9 or equiv. to the pwr. components that are mounted to the heatsink. It certainly won't hurt as long as it's done properly and cleanly. That was one of the very first improvements I made to my 79-290.

I just want to know if the removal of some transistor enables high power is necessary to get the 30 watts out of this rig. I have ran the TX strip and tunes for maximum output and can only get it to do 18watts PEP. I saw somewhere where you pull some transistor to enable the high power. What tips can anyone give to get the power up?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.