• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland LMR VHF information?

Slim

Apr 2, 2005
land of the worthless nut
Would anyone happen to have ANY info on this radio? I picked one for a few bucks at auction and wondered about programming info and the pin-out of the jack on the back.
I was thinking of using it for 2-meter and/or MURS.
I appreciate ANY and ALL info y'all may have.

I have searched all over the net and nothing yet!
Thanks.Slim
P.S.
Model number is 70-375.Almost forgot that!!!

Slim...
did you ever get an answer to your question about the Midland radio?

I missed this question until now.

The 70-0375 is a low band radio, capable of frequencies between 30-50 mhz, and can be retuned for the 10 meter or 6 meter band. There is a letter that follows the model number, which designates the freq range it was tuned for from the factory. The letter 'C' would designate 42-50 mhz, but you can retune the VCOs very easily to put it on the 6 meter band.

I have programmed and tuned many Midland LMR radios for the amateur and GMRS bands, using the 70-1000 eprom programmer, as well as DOS software and cables, depending on the vintage of the radio. There are several hams in my area that have gotten on 6 meters rather inexpensively using radios commercial radios they aquired from me.

If you still need more info, ask away and I will tell you more.
Sorry I missed this before.

Hi Paul.Thanks for queing in.It is the 70-375 model,NOT the 70-0375 you mention.It's in the 150mHz range. It may have been
set up for repeater use,I'm not sure.When I hook it up and try and TX into a dummy load it trips the protection circuit on the power supply.That's why I'm looking for the pin-out designations
on the rear panel.There is a loose wire just hanging there and then there is a jumper going from 1 pin to another,and then the 2 remaining are the battery +/-. I never did get around to
contacting the business mentioned above,as I wouldn't think they would divulge this info freely anyways? But,I appreciate any and all information you may or may not have on this particular rig.I will open it up while I'm on vacation this week and see for sure if it's programmable or crystal controlled.
Thank you much sir :D
Slim

Slim,

That model number is not appearing on any listing I have, so thats why I thought it was the -0375.
It may be an older crystal unit.

What does the radio look like? Can you post a photo?
Is the front bezel trim gray, black or a yellow color?

If it is yellow, then it is definitely a crystal controlled model.
If it is gray or black, it is programmable.

Take off the top cover and see if there is a small PC board mounted upside down right in the middle, with the printing "Z-273" on it.

As for acessory plug on the back, there were different pinouts for different models. Besides + and - power leads, there were jumpers to enable the internal speaker or use an external speaker, jumpers to enable CTCSS/monitor functions, enable scan/monitor functions with the microphone on or off hook, etc.

Look inside and let me know what you find. Also, if there is an FCC ID number on the radio the starts with "AK5", usually on the heat sink fin, that could help me.

You're so right Paul! I opened it up and,by golly,it's got crystals! Bummer,I was hoping it would be programmable.Oh well,it'll still be some fun to play with.I'll have to look around and see if I can find some crystals for it now.
It is the yellow bezel and a 7 channel radio. Do you have any idea what the output power is on these? Just curious.
Thanks for your input sir.Much appreciated.Happy New Year.
Slim CDX285

Slim,

Not sure of the output of these crystal models, but I would guess 15-25 watts max.
As for crystals, they would probably cost much more than the radio is worth, and I looked at ICM and they didn't even list that model
Midland Crystals

Jan Crystal is another source of crystals, but a few years ago I got a couple of crystals for a couple of Uniden radios I had and I think they were $20 a piece, so you can see it would add up quick.

Have a great New Year.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.