• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MIRAGE 88 ?

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
Just looking for some opinions on this one , performance ? SSB ? AM ? Is she solid and stable ? IM guessing it's a Ranger built ? Looks just like a Galaxy 88HL ? And at a used price , What might be a fair price for one of these ? Thanks guys

It is identical to the Galaxy 88 because it's built by the same people with the same parts.. The only difference is it doesn't have the chrome knobs and trim the other 88 does..

It's one of the best, most reliable, excellent performing, radios I've ever owned.. I've had mine for almost 15 years and have never had any problems with it.. It's been used in several trucks over the years and has took all the bumps, vibration and audio I came across and has never let me down..

I can't say enough good things about the radio and given the chance, I would surely purchase another one if a deal presented its self.. As for price, that is a tough one and will vary by each post made I'm sure.. To give you a general idea, I paid $175 for mine way back then and have never regretted it either bit..

If you decide not to get it, maybe you could pass the deal on to me :D

DTB Radio said:
its the same as the Galaxy 88 except for a band or two.
The difference in bands is only posistioning of the knob.. One is turned all the way to the left for 11 meter and the other is turned all the way to the right..

Thanks gentleman , I was impressed with the radio on the bench , was doing 1 watt to 25 on Low and 6 to 25 on High , a good 25 on SSB , Echo was very nice , all the channels any CB'er would ever need , knobs could use a little cleaning but that ain't no big deal , rodger beep was nice , 10Khz jump did it's thing , freq counter and L.E.D's were perfect . Talkback was nice as well. Hmmmm ? IM still looking to here about the SSB on this one ? Is it a drifter and would it come close to a older 148GTL as far as SSB performance ? The Dual Clairifier on this one is not open as of yet. thanks

Switch, you mentioned the dual clarifier not open. I have a Galaxy Pluto (not a "real" Galaxy) and the coarse part of the clarifier does "slide" on TX.....alot. The fine part only changes the RX. I figured the Mirage was the same....or are you wanting both the coarse and fine to change on TX?

hey switch ,i been running a mirage88 in the g/f`s ride for a couple years now .its been a pretty good radio.i bought it brand new for about 225.00....and i got mine at a good price.
i clipped mine as i do all my radios and its pretty good in the audio department.not blaring loud but loud enough and it reproduces the voice well.as far as watts mines the same as yours ..25 peak....from whatever carrier i choose.i thought it should do more but ya get what ya get ..i run a 5 pill with it anyway so who cares right?the freq counter on ours is a little slow to respond but we did have a problem with that.the first year we owned it the freq counter started giving problems ...wrong/slow reading...off freq at times .....turns out the thing with these mirage 88 radios is the mixing crystal solder joint.after reheating and flowing a little new solder on the joint i havent had any more freq problems.so if you ever have any freq counter/drifting issues this is the fix.the counter response is still a little slow(we always arrive at the channel befor the counter ,then it plays catchup)but works .other than that its been a good radio......for a used one i`d try not to pay over 150.00..............good luck man.

Thanks FNKY , funny you should say that about the frq counter , this one did seem a slight bit slow to go , very interesting,it did get there though. Hmmmm

Now mine warbled on sidebnd and that was with all miy galaxy and mirage 88 and 99 I have owned bad luck??? Im thinking not considering I have talked with alot of people about this including a technician from galaxy about this and they explained the problems with these radios and they said themselves it was do to oscillators they used I will post that email conversation as soon as that machines up and running I have the emails saved on that computer and saved them for this reason because I m a 95% sidebander and that WARBLING dDROVE ME INSANE my wife would be talkin to me with those radios from the mobile on her way home from work and l;et me tell ya. Then I was told the mirages didnt do it so I tried them and the same thing. I loved those radios to so it sucked getting rid of them and they all 4 went to truck drivers who used AM. Funny thing ios is that I have heard some that actually sounded great on the airways on ssb.

Thank you Tony , was looking for reports on SSB on this one , as FNKY talked about the slow to go freq counter , SSB needs to be a solid drift free situations where IM concerned . Most of the guys I talk to on SSB are on the freebands and most of them run Kenwoods/Icoms and Yeasu's , they are very honest guys on very good radios !! If a radio sounds off or bad , they would pretty much honestly say so. You just can't beat those older 148s and Grants' when it comes to the test. I've used so many AM/SSB radios over the years that my personal experiance told me that some seemed to be better SSB radios to there AM counterparts and then some were better on the AM side to there SSB counterparts visa versa. Getting the best of both worlds would truly be the aim. Case in point for me , I had a Clear Channel AR-3300 many years ago , it may have been the best SSB radio I ever owned , but it did not sound good on AM , I do like the PC-122 that I had used for many years until the Grant or 148GTL's came into my life , (I just didn't know what I didn't know at the time) all though the 122 was a decent radio , after the others I then realized that the receive on the Grant /148s were superiour over the 122s hands down on both AM/SSB , even still , I could never put down the 122's , they are very decent radios for what they are , nowadays I think the 122's are better SSB radios then there AM counterparts , even though the 122's are loud little SOB's on the AM side of things , the receive on them slightly sounds conjested compared to the others Thanks for your input here Tony .

Switch Kit said:
Just looking for some opinions on this one , performance ? SSB ? AM ? Is she solid and stable ? IM guessing it's a Ranger built ? Looks just like a Galaxy 88HL ? And at a used price , What might be a fair price for one of these ? Thanks guys
I have a modified 22bird watt galaxy 88. I will testify that it is one of the best radios I've ever used to drive my amps on the am side. It has outstanding audio and swing with the stock mic.
---Can someone tell me why I can't make any post? I need help too. I've got questions about a galaxy ssb echo Base radio. anyone ever heard of it? ( that is the name on it.) HELP.

HitMan 043

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.