• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mitsubishi 2sc1969 expert advice

Eldorado828

8-2-8 in the Lonestar state
Feb 21, 2016
The Lonestar State
The story starts back around 2010 just right before I sold everything off due to an unforseen life event. One afternoon I was passing by an old cb shop that had been closed a few years and I saw several vehicles parked there with all the doors opened up. It peaked my interest thinking it may be opening back up so I hit the off ramp to whip back around. I walked to ask and it was the opposite, it was the family of the deceased owner cleaning the place out to put the building up for sale. So as I was about to head to the truck one lady asked if I was interested in any of the miscellaneous parts they had boxed up. I told her I wasn't really prepared to make a buy but would sure take a look. I noticed they were loading up big stuff like benches and test gear but most that was in drawers or hanging on the walls they just shoved into boxes. It was quite the mess but there was some valuable stuff at first glance. Echo boards, mic parts and about anything to do with radio. It was more than I wanted to buy especially not knowing how much of it could have been just junk. I stepped back and thought nah when the lady said give me 200 and you can have all of all of it. Just in what I saw, there was at least that much money in just a couple of boxes and there was more than a pickup load there. Just for giggles I said 150 and she said if I came and got it before they left it was mine. To shorten things up, after sifting through the stuff I kept a lot but most sold on ebay shortly after that. A couple of totes survived my last exit of the cb hobby and these were in the mix.

So to the thread topic. I have no reason to believe these could be fakes but an expert opinion is appreciated because I'm no expert. I tested hfe but have no bipolar test radio to really test them with.

I've done some research on the fakes and these do look legit (to me)

Are there any obvious signs of counterfeits?

20231203_212213.jpg20231203_203847.jpg20231203_203908.jpg20231203_201713.jpg20231203_201637.jpg
Thanks in advance

From here they look too "fat".

The width of the legit Mitsubishi part was a millimeter or so narrower than the standard "TO-220" metal-tab plastic power transistor.

If you hold it up tab-to-tab against an audio or power-supply type transistor the smaller width can't be missed.

And if they are the same width as the AM modulator transistor from a Cobra 2000/148, or the power-supply regulator transistor in an AM base radio, that opens the question. Are they counterfeit?

Fred the Redneck is selling parts that look just like these. Fred is the sparkplug behind D&J of echo and noise-toy fame. He swears up and down that they are legit. Mostly I don't care about that so long as they work. A counterfeit that spends the same as the real thing is good enough for me.

Just bought some of these from Fred. Haven't tried them yet.

Yet another project, to see how they stack up.

I'm no expert, but most fakes have the original label etched off with a laser. If any attempt at removing a previous part number was made, they did a dang good job making the surface texture look exactly like the original. The radius of the sides of the face look spot on, the very shallow depth of the tab notches looks perfect, and the printed letters use the exact same color ink and have the same tilted angle with respect to the part. Even the higher offset of the -CH is the same as the 1969 in my cobra. If those are fakes, they lost money making every little detail match so perfectly.

Reactions: Eldorado828
From here they look too "fat".

The width of the legit Mitsubishi part was a millimeter or so narrower than the standard "TO-220" metal-tab plastic power transistor.

If you hold it up tab-to-tab against an audio or power-supply type transistor the smaller width can't be missed.

And if they are the same width as the AM modulator transistor from a Cobra 2000/148, or the power-supply regulator transistor in an AM base radio, that opens the question. Are they counterfeit?

Fred the Redneck is selling parts that look just like these. Fred is the sparkplug behind D&J of echo and noise-toy fame. He swears up and down that they are legit. Mostly I don't care about that so long as they work. A counterfeit that spends the same as the real thing is good enough for me.

Just bought some of these from Fred. Haven't tried them yet.

Yet another project, to see how they stack up.

Thank you for the reply

Here is the 1969 next to a 2078, 520 and tda2003. The 1969 is definitely smaller not as wide in size as seen in the photos. The third photo shows it back to back with a vishay 520, obviously more narrow.

Thoughts?20231203_221221.jpg20231203_221234.jpg20231203_221309.jpg

I got a little slopy with the heat sync compound and smeared it around a little with acetone, havent did the final cleaning yet. But here is an original.
1969.png

When I originally took the board out of the chassis, the red threadlock (meter adjustment screw glue?) was intact, so I know this was original.. I've never seen nor heard of someone swapping a transistor and replacing that.

Send me some for free, I will test them ;)
Seriously though, are you going to move them or keep them? They sure look close to me. Do they have small protruding notches between the pins? That's another thing to look for.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.