• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mix and match connector types on a single piece of coax?

FredTx63

Oct 17, 2015
Any reason you can't have a PL259 and an N connector on the same piece of coax? I recently installed a Collosal 10k in the top of a 90ish ft. tree and used a 150 ft. premade piece of Times Microwave LMR-600 with PL259s preinstalled. I need to cut the excess 50-60 ft. off and put a new connector on the end. It appears the cost (which isn't cheap!) to buy Times Microwave connectors & the multi-tool to install them is about the same whether you go with PL259 or N.

My setup will require a number of connections prior to reaching my radios (Antenna <-> LP-700 meter pickup <-> Amplifier <-> Coax switch <-> Radios) and since I need to order a new LP-700 meter pickup, coax switch and connectors, I have the opportunity to make a number of these connections N type in an effort to save on signal loss.

Is it worth it? Any caveats?

Reactions: Slowmover

The N connectors will have a lower signal loss because they are true constant-impedance connectors.

The UHF connector, the PL259 is not. It puts an impedance bump in the line, and this is what leads to the signal loss.

But you'll need some mighty fine lab-grade equipment to measure this loss below 30 MHz or so. The amount of loss has to do with the wavelength. And a PL259 is a pretty tiny fraction of a wavelength long at 10 meters or longer.

But at, say, 146 MHz, that connector is six times as 'long' in terms of wavelength and makes more difference.

Using N connectors won't create any trouble, but the reduction in signal loss at 11 meters, or on ham bands below 30 MHz will be tiny.

Connector types will not make any difference.UHF or N are fine and YES you can mix and match. As for using type N at HF.......all you are doing is wasting money on a more expensive connector. If you run high power stick with the PL259. The centre connector is beefier than the tiny centre pin of the type N.

Reactions: FredTx63

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.