• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mobile antenna decision

BIONIC_TEXAN88

Aug 1, 2005
TEXAS PINEYWOODS
currently have a 102" with spring in the middle of toolbox behind cab of my truck. would a wilson 1000/5000 mag mount on roof be a better choice?

here's what i think:
the wilson would be up higher and clearer without cab blocking some of the signal, stinger shouldnt lean back as much as 102", bigger ground plane on top of cab.

the 102" is doing me a fine job, just looking for an improvement. i figure if mounted in the same place the whip will win but not sure if i want to get a quad mount and put the whip on top off my cab (should wack everything in sight)

It just depends on whether you think the 'impovement' would be worth the cost. How much 'improvement' would there be? Can't say. Also don't know the cost of the new antenna.
- 'Doc

I used to be a firm believer in the 102" whip. That was all I ran in my mobile. I tried the Wilson 5K and was very happy with the results. Pretty much hand and hand with the whip. I bit the bullet one day and decided to see what the hype was with the Pedator 10K. Well to make a long story short I was absolutly floored at the results. The 10K had better ears than either the whip or the Wilson. Everything was the same with the exception of the antenna. Since then I have ran nothing but a 10K on my equipment. I replaced a Wilson 5K on my semi with a predator 10K dual coil and got the same results....Better ears. Everyone may not have these results but I sure did. Not trying to make a sales pitch but those were my real world results

i used to run a 10k till i knocked it off going under a pipe fence. they are a great antenna but just not practical for me. i figure the wilson will take a pretty good beating and worst come to worst, the mag will pop off if i hit something low and hard.

BIONIC_TEXAN88 said:
i used to run a 10k till i knocked it off going under a pipe fence. they are a great antenna but just not practical for me. i figure the wilson will take a pretty good beating and worst come to worst, the mag will pop off if i hit something low and hard.
BIONIC, email me your address and I will send you another 10K. Cowtown10k@msn.com.Kale

There's a freebie BT-88 !! ........Can't beat that with a stick !!! ......IM a Wilson kind of guy myself , I doubt your going to be much higher then you allready are with your 102 incher with a Wilson Mag ,the stingers are only 64 inches last i recall. You see what IM getting at here ? your 102 incher is the real McCoy dude !!! As long as you got a great match on it , I'd leave well enough alone. Nothing wrong with changing things around if you can afford it ,I swear by the Wilson 1000/5000 line of antenna's. But if I could get away with it (and I can't) I would surely be running a 102 in. SS or a Fransis Amazer any day of the week as long as I could place them at least as good as you have yours on your truck. The mag's are good and maybe the best out there other then the tri-mounts and quad-mount mag-mounts , but always have thought the a drill through with those Wilson's was always the best way to go. (Especially where grounding is concerned) much nicer looking drilled through then the mess most mag's will leave on your paint job if that should mean anything to you. But hey dude !!! Looks like you have been offered a free 10K !!! I personally wouldn't mind trying one of those some day. Good Luck to you dude.

ok well i have got my FREE 10k from kale and have tuned it to a 1.1 across the band (cant be beat)(the rat shack meter goes down below 1.1) and have a comparison with the wilson 1000 mounted on the roof to the 10k mounted on the center back of the toolbox. i hooked up a switch to turn back and forth between the 2 and noticed a 3 s unit increase from the wilson and the 10k. so as i have said before, its a 10k world!!!!!

FL Native said:
nice. hope you removed the other antenna between test but eitehr way. center load they say is better. top loaded even better so maybe kale should test top loading. ??? who knows.

or 51 inch shaft and a 57 inch whip ???

the test for swr was when antenna not used was completely removed.during rx testing i dont see why i had to move either or by the way the pics are.

BIONIC_TEXAN88 said:
during rx testing i dont see why i had to move either or by the way the pics are.
Could make a huge difference. If an antenna works better on transmit, it also works better on receive. They go hand in hand. Was the "other" antenna not in test grounded during testing? Since they are both designed for the same band, interaction between the two is very likely!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.