1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile antenna mount issue

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by BammBamm, Feb 16, 2018.

1. BammBamm

BammBamm Chicago's mudduck.....173 on the southside.

I have a 2017 Ram 1500 quad cab and today I began the process of removing the headliner to install a puck mount, upon disassembly I found there is NO space between the headliner and roof! Even coax will show a crease in headliner. I am now thinking about a triple magnet mount for my predator 10k and running 2 thick ground straps from it to the 2 screws on the 3rd brake light for ground. I am currently using a Wilson 1000 magnet mount...should I just stick with what I have or will I see an improvement? I do have the truck bonded with a total of 16 braided ground straps.

2. 309hellinois

309hellinois Supporting Member

I've never had the headliner off such a new truck but aren't there roof supports that could help conceal the coax? Just an idea.

I had pretty good luck with my old Wilson 1000 mag mount but I noticed an improvement when I mounted my 102 on the trunk lid. I know it's not the same thing but I can only go with my experience. I never tried the triple mag mount so I'm not much help there. Over all I'd prefer a solid mount over mag.

rabbiporkchop likes this.
  3. BammBamm

The only support goes side to side and the liner is molded to its shape. I even thought of removing the dome light and just using the lens as a cover but it gives me a 3" x 5" opening which won't help. As for it being a new truck...yes the wife is not happy with the whole drilling holes in it thing...I'm also thinking about a roll / light bar as an option.

4. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Sr. Member

Don't really need to run ground straps off a Tri-Mag mount. Before turning my Suburbans roof into swiss cheese, I ran a Tri-Mag mount with my Predator 10K for several years...(no ground straps.)

Another option would be to mount a riser in the back, and stick the antenna on it...There's several hear that will tell you this either "won't work" or is not a good idea...Well, it may-not be the "Ideal" way to mount the antenna, but it works fine for me...I get out just as well locally with the antenna mounted on a riser, as I did with a mag mounted 10K on the roof. Plus even just running a little 2-pill I can still get my name called in DX.(when there use to be "DX")

In these pic's the antenna I had on was a Monkey Made "Big John", but I have a Predator single-coil back on now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Robb, Shadetree Mechanic and BammBamm like this.
  5. BammBamm

Ok I can' t decide on a mfj or tram 3 magnet mount..is one better? I will never run more than 500 watts into it.

6. 2315 Robert

2315 Robert Grateful

7. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

Ebay has this available for around $60.00

[​IMG]

BammBamm and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  8. tba02

tba02 WOOF

I can't speak for the MFJ but I do have and use a Tram 269 Triple 5" - no complaints.

BammBamm likes this.
  9. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Probably the same MFG

BammBamm likes this.
  10. BammBamm

Ordered the Tram from walmart.com for $48.70 with free shipping to store.