• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile antenna mounts

Roger That

Mar 4, 2014
Parts Unknown
I'm currently using a strong 4" dia magnetic mount for my 64" stainless whip, but have some concerns about theft.. I would like to switch to a Firestik Mk-274 hatchback mount, but don't want to drill holes in my daily driver.

My question is if anybody here has used the BRC Antenna B-200 mount sold on eBay? (B200 Black Mount for CB HAM Radio car Mobile Antenna Trunk LID Hatchback door) It looks like a nice unit.

ps--hello, my name is Roger That, and I'm new here. I didn't see an introduce 'yourself here' forum

I have seen those type mounts used but never used one myself. I would be careful about the size of the antenna used with one, they are not the strongest mounts in the world. The main problem is how it 'attaches', just a few set-screws. The other potential problem with that type of mount is getting the feed line into the car without crushing/deforming it, that can get to be fun too.
If that's your best option then I'd say try it.
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
I used a Diamond K400 lip mount on my car. It was so strong that when a drunk kid decided he wanted to rip my screwdriver antenna off my car the metalwork of the tailgate gave up before the mount did.

Thanks for your replies. The only suitable area to attatch the mount doesn't have enough clearance between the hatchback door and body without running into interference, and/or not being able to open the hatchback.

The other issue as W5LZ pointed out is how to keep the coax from getting crushed everytime I open the hatch. I may have to Dremel a notch into where the coax feeds into the interior. Theft is still a genuine concern. I live in Chicago..

I used a Diamond K400 lip mount on my car. It was so strong that when a drunk kid decided he wanted to rip my screwdriver antenna off my car the metalwork of the tailgate gave up before the mount did.

I agree with the Diamond K400 series of mounts. I ran one mounted on the vertical edge of my SUV's rear hatch door. It held various antennas from Hamsticks to a home brew HF antenna and it never moved or loosened in the slightest. Another one on the opposite side held a dual band V/UHF antenna.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree with the Diamond K400 series of mounts. I ran one mounted on the vertical edge of my SUV's rear hatch door. It held various antennas from Hamsticks to a home brew HF antenna and it never moved or loosened in the slightest. Another one on the opposite side held a dual band V/UHF antenna.

The Diamond K400 looks identical the the BRC B200 mount I was intending on buying from an eBay seller for $20 shipped w/o the coax or SO-239. Opek also makes a similar generic version. It looks like you have to remove a considerable amount of paint to achieve a proper ground with this style mount. Corrosion would set-in in short order with all the road salt around here.

The Tram 269 Triple looks sweet (generic version is the MJF 336 Goliath Tri-Magnet Mount), but that's overkill for my lil hatchback! I'm currently using a vintage Pro-Am 301B 4" dia mag mount with good results, but would like to upgrade to a larger diameter magnet like the Hustler MBM 5" or Firestik K-11 5" mag mount. I cannot get SWRs down to an acceptable level with a 102" whip when using the Pro-Am mount. I figure the K-11 or Hustler would provide better ground. The Hustler MBM is real low profile as well. My daily mobile antenna is a 64" stainless bottom-load Radio Shack 21-988. (Excellent antennas, btw)

Wilson 1000s are also sweet, but theft concerns and price prevent me from putting one on my daily driver. The one we tested didn't perform any better than my Radio Shack/Pro-Am rig anyway. Ha!

The Diamond K400 looks identical the the BRC B200 mount I was intending on buying from an eBay seller for $20 shipped w/o the coax or SO-239. Opek also makes a similar generic version. It looks like you have to remove a considerable amount of paint to achieve a proper ground with this style mount.

On the Diamond mount the securing grub screws have pointed but flattened ends. Just do them up tightly and they'll cut through the paint just fine and make a good solid contact. Whilst its not an ideal ground for 80m it'll be sufficient for 11m.

Modern cars have a zinc paint anti-corrosion layer that seals around the screws. The one that was stolen had been on the car well over a year and there was no sign of corrosion where the screws had bit into the metal. When you come to sell the car get a small bottle of touch up paint and just put a dab on the small circular shapes left where the grub screws were.

It looks like you have to remove a considerable amount of paint to achieve a proper ground with this style mount. Corrosion would set-in in short order with all the road salt around here.

Since you have your location listed as "Parts unknown" I have no idea where you are to use so much salt however here in Nova Scotia the roadside is still white well into latespring/early summer from salt run-off despite all the rain.It lays right in the pavement cracks. We also get the salt air from the ocean. No paint has to be removed as the set screws cut into the metal in four tiny spots. One trick is to put a drop of paint on the ends of the set screws so that when you tighten them they cut into the metal and leave a puddle of wet paint completely around the spot that dries and seals it. In the nearly seven years I had such a mount in place there was never an issue with rust. Well except on the under carriage and wheel wells but that was not where the antenna was mounted. LOL

Last edited:
Since you have your location listed as "Parts unknown" I have no idea where you are to use so much salt however here in Nova Scotia the roadside is still white well into latespring/early summer from salt run-off despite all the rain.It lays right in the pavement cracks. We also get the salt air from the ocean. No paint has to be removed as the set screws cut into the metal in four tiny spots. One trick is to put a drop of paint on the ends of the set screws so that when you tighten them they cut into the metal and leave a puddle of wet paint completely around the spot that dries and seals it. In the nearly seven years I had such a mount in place there was never an issue with rust. Well except on the under carriage and wheel wells but that was not where the antenna was mounted. LOL years
Chicago. After looking at my hatchback door, the only acceptable location to put that would be on the side, and it still won't clear the roof when I open the hatch up. Think I'm gonna order a Hustler MBM mag mount

It won't clear the roof? What do you drive? The hatch door on my Escape would open almost straight out making it almost horizontal. Even a 10 foot antenna mounted in the middle of the door would clear the roof as would the dual band antenna mounted right at the top. i suppose a door that opened far beyond horizontal may hit the roof depending on the shape of it. Usually they are wider in the middle than at the top and the antenna will lay down off to the side somewhat.

Most hatches on hatchback cars open way past horizontal. Mine points skyward 45 degrees.

Most hatches on hatchback cars open way past horizontal. Mine points skyward 45 degrees.

That's why I asked what he drove. My '05 Escape opened almost horizontal, maybe slightly more, and my wife's RAV4 opens quite a bit further. With the design shape on her RAV4 however it may still work as the hatch door is wider near the bottom and would allow the antenna to pretty much clear the roof and lay down to the side of the vehicle somewhat. Now I don't worry about that and have to fabricate a tailgate latch bolt mount for my Tundra. That will happen when it gets warmer...........if it gets warmer. :cry: Looking at -18C tonight again or about 0F. This is March for God's sake!!

Looking at -18C tonight again or about 0F. This is March for God's sake!!

I would like to thank North America for having our winter for us. Been quite toasty here. Not a single drop of snow all winter where I am here in northern England and even most nights have been frost free.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.