• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Base Station setup help.

Capt Crunch

Captain Crunch NJ Mobile
Nov 3, 2015
New Jersey
www.iamawesome.com
OK, Galaxy DX979 On a 30 amp power supply, 17ft rg8x, out to a modfied truck stake mount on a fence rail post with a 12in riser and a 102 in whip, as per pictures. SWR was a little off when I matched 1 and 40 but now exact and SWR flat throughout. People can hear me ok but seems like low carrier. My white noise level is 9 S Units across the channels on AM/USB/LSB and I can not hear anything else. I checked by the mount and there is contact from the mount to fence rail, and fence post. i thought it might be ground issue, but should I try grounding the radio itself or do something on the antenna side? Something else altogether? When I touched the mic cord the noise went down a hair. The only thing inside I have near me is a radiator and and an outlet screw both are grounded. I recently attached the tester probe on the radiator and the other on the radios cover screw and it shows its connected. Not sure whats going on here. Any help? 0117211714.jpg 0128211412.jpg 0128211412[17084].jpg

Attachments

• 0117211713.jpg
    0117211713.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

OK, Galaxy DX979 On a 30 amp power supply, 17ft rg8x, out to a modfied truck stake mount on a fence rail post with a 12in riser and a 102 in whip, as per pictures. SWR was a little off when I matched 1 and 40 but now exact and SWR flat throughout. People can hear me ok but seems like low carrier. My white noise level is 9 S Units across the channels on AM/USB/LSB and I can not hear anything else. I checked by the mount and there is contact from the mount to fence rail, and fence post. i thought it might be ground issue, but should I try grounding the radio itself or do something on the antenna side? Something else altogether? When I touched the mic cord the noise went down a hair. The only thing inside I have near me is a radiator and and an outlet screw both are grounded. I recently attached the tester probe on the radiator and the other on the radios cover screw and it shows its connected. Not sure whats going on here. Any help? View attachment 43437 View attachment 43438 View attachment 43439
Nice looking antenna bracket there. Does the s9 noise go away when you unplug the antenna? if so, then the antenna is doing its job. Unfortunately, it does a good job of picking up noise too. One of the biggest culprits is fluorescent lights and solar panel systems. One way to know if its coming from your house it to run the radio on battery power and shut off the main breaker in the house panel. Then turn on one breaker at a time to find the circuit with the noisy device. My noise is usually between s5 and s7 and it is coming from the convenience store down the street.
Chris

Nice looking antenna bracket there. Does the s9 noise go away when you unplug the antenna? if so, then the antenna is doing its job. Unfortunately, it does a good job of picking up noise too. One of the biggest culprits is fluorescent lights and solar panel systems. One way to know if its coming from your house it to run the radio on battery power and shut off the main breaker in the house panel. Then turn on one breaker at a time to find the circuit with the noisy device. My noise is usually between s5 and s7 and it is coming from the convenience store down the street.
Chris
Yes the noise drops and the meter drops to flat when I disconnect at the antenna. I do have an extra car battery but not sure how much its still charged, going to have to check that. There is really no lights or anything around the antenna. On the left side of the pic is a highway. Any line wires are not on this side of the house. I did start unplugging stuff in the room I am in an so far nothing changed and will run through the house quick on that. Going to also try plugging into a couple sockets on other lines around me before I do the circut breaker thing. Not my house and it's a two family and I don't like messing with this electric if I don't have to. I have 3 days off work and after I do real life stuff today, I'm on it LOL.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I am wondering if you have enough ground plain. Possibly if the fence is the ground plain everything is going in the same direction.
Yes I am no tech by any means but I did read about what I am doing and saw there can be issue(s) there too. I did the mount myself believing by adding the plate would give me a little more ground plane as I reading but not sure that's correct, really. I read it could be as little as 4in square up to 4ft square Minimum, so still a little confusing. I am going to try putting it on the battery if its charge. I just got this led power supply and hoping its not that. Got 3 days off, going to start after chores.

Antenna problems are the worst.
Chris
So, one thing solved, not the antenna. Just hooked it up to the battery and although it died within a few seconds, receive was back to normal and even heard someone shooting skip LOL. Now for the pain in the butt trying to figure where. I would like to check this Power supply I got for noise but not sure how. Going to try the circut breaker thing next in a few hours. I can do the other tennants but I have to inform them and its going to be a pain.

So, one thing solved, not the antenna. Just hooked it up to the battery and although it died within a few seconds, receive was back to normal and even heard someone shooting skip LOL. Now for the pain in the butt trying to figure where. I would like to check this Power supply I got for noise but not sure how. Going to try the circut breaker thing next in a few hours. I can do the other tennants but I have to inform them and its going to be a pain.
So the only thing you did was put it on a battery and the s9 went away? Sounds like you need a new power supply. What brand is it?

So the only thing you did was put it on a battery and the s9 went away? Sounds like you need a new power supply. What brand is it?
Yeah, sounded like in my vehicle crystal clear, even heard skip shooting. I just bought the PS. One of the cheap 30 amp LED Light ones from fleabay. 100s reviews say they work fine and no issues but I did buy one one before from a different guy and it was pushing 22amps and couldn't adjust. I have two friends who bought the same one at my suggestion and theirs work fine. I should have tried the first one but I just sent it back and bought from elsewhere. I know they are crap but wanted more than a 10 amp for 80 to 100+ for a "real" one, this cost $36 LOL. I just contacted a friend who has a normal one and it doesn't create noise. I am going to finish real life chores and then do a quick breaker check and if nothing happens he's going to bring his down. I am so glad it's not the antenna though. I didn't think it was because it matched tuned really well, but again no expert here by any means. Was taught alot by friends and basically googled the rest, over many years LOL. Great hobby, with mostly great people always helping. Pretty excited again and hoping it is the PS. Haven't had a base setup in a long time, and though not perfect seems to be going the right direction, and tuned pretty well. I know the first key up is the most tense hoping it all goes good. This may be an easy fix if it is the PS, otherwise hell may still be lurking around the corner LOL.

Attachments

• 0303211405.jpg
    0303211405.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Yeah, sounded like in my vehicle crystal clear, even heard skip shooting. I just bought the PS. One of the cheap 30 amp LED Light ones from fleabay. 100s reviews say they work fine and no issues but I did buy one one before from a different guy and it was pushing 22amps and couldn't adjust. I have two friends who bought the same one at my suggestion and theirs work fine. I should have tried the first one but I just sent it back and bought from elsewhere. I know they are crap but wanted more than a 10 amp for 80 to 100+ for a "real" one, this cost $36 LOL. I just contacted a friend who has a normal one and it doesn't create noise. I am going to finish real life chores and then do a quick breaker check and if nothing happens he's going to bring his down. I am so glad it's not the antenna though. I didn't think it was because it matched tuned really well, but again no expert here by any means. Was taught alot by friends and basically googled the rest, over many years LOL. Great hobby, with mostly great people always helping. Pretty excited again and hoping it is the PS. Haven't had a base setup in a long time, and though not perfect seems to be going the right direction, and tuned pretty well. I know the first key up is the most tense hoping it all goes good. This may be an easy fix if it is the PS, otherwise hell may still be lurking around the corner LOL.

Looks like one of those Megawatt clones. You can try adding an EMI/RFI filter between the power supply and the radio.

Looks like one of those Megawatt clones. You can try adding an EMI/RFI filter between the power supply and the radio.
I will give that a try. I think I have one boxed somewhere, not sure if I cleaned that out yet. Definitely an option I will look into thank you. If it is this PS I can still send it back. If it is the PS my friend is lending me one of his until I get a real one.

Here's a strange update, maybe. If you see in the pick beofre my PS was sitting on top of my disconnected Carl Built 400HD and I moved the amp away and set the PS on a preforated oven pan and receive noise went from just above S9 to 6.5. I put it back and it went up to S9 again. Leaving it back on the pan LOL. Also when I touch the knobs it drops to around 5.5. Wth.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.