• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MOBILE INSTALL: 579 Peterbilt

The gear described is what’s in place at present. Always subject to change.

It’s a crowded space in the console. Plenty of room, ironically, but not so that main coax feed and jumpers aren’t themselves a problem due to proximity, etc.

Yeah I think you got proof that mirror mounts provide basically no RF grounding no matter what the multimeter shows. More bonding will help but ultimately it's what is right at the antenna feedpoint where the coax braid ends which makes the biggest difference. If you've got an antenna on the outer edge of a vehicle body whether it be a mirror mount, a fender mount, a bumper mount you've got at least 180 degrees of antenna with little to no RF ground. If there's enough horizontal metal on the other side of that at or very close to the antenna feedpoint (as in an inch or so) then other than directivity you'll have little issue. If though your ground plane is a far enough distance away to work as a far removed groundplane, such as if you mount it on a mirror arm, then you're going to have problems.

1CAFA5D1-272F-4E32-B78B-4C1507E78BF7.jpeg

This was the intermediate point.

Just forward of that aftermarket mount is OEM CAB MOUNT (Black) to which I’ve returned. OEM crimped harness failed.

@Slowmover - Sounds like you're making a FARADAY cage.

Might be your safest option to keep RF where it belongs.

Don't need it wandering around the Trucks' harnesses looking for a place to return.

It's not the first time I've seen this. I've seen HVAC hangers and Load braces used for not just holding the radio equipment but in BEHIND the console "glovebox" compartment as a means to offer a bar for counterpoise...

Use whatever works for you - Best of luck.

Caught the story of your friend.

Glad to know you spread the "love of Radio" around like that.

Hope it works out...

That’s what I’m thinking. But it’s not clear to me how to BEST alleviate.

— Radio location is fixed.

— Antenna mounts are fixed.

— Power bypasses truck system.

— it’s an obvious difference from my 579 to another mans with same antenna mounts.

— But I’m feeling certain it’s NOT what it could be even given it’s a composite-body Class 8 Fleet Tractor.

— I’m about halfway up shit creek without a chainsaw to cut thru overhanging trees & branches. Wondering if I’m in the main stream or not.

Last edited:
Yeah I think you got proof that mirror mounts provide basically no RF grounding no matter what the multimeter shows. More bonding will help but ultimately it's what is right at the antenna feedpoint where the coax braid ends which makes the biggest difference. If you've got an antenna on the outer edge of a vehicle body whether it be a mirror mount, a fender mount, a bumper mount you've got at least 180 degrees of antenna with little to no RF ground. If there's enough horizontal metal on the other side of that at or very close to the antenna feedpoint (as in an inch or so) then other than directivity you'll have little issue. If though your ground plane is a far enough distance away to work as a far removed groundplane, such as if you mount it on a mirror arm, then you're going to have problems.

There is metal as in a partial shelf in the interior. Something a pair of hands could hold. Each side.

The work to expose this is flat beyond reasonable. I’ve tried. It’s a point where it’s salvage work on a wreck.

This ain’t my first rodeo. Company restrictions are typical about modifications. There’s a bar (conceptually) in the way.

My info (YouTube video) gave me visuals where a man took the whole thing apart. HIS truck.

Don't give up...

— I’m about halfway up (PoopChute) creek without a chainsaw to cut thru overhanging trees & branches. Wondering if I’m in the main stream or not.

It is too bad that I couldn't leave with the pics of truck conditions many drivers put themselves in, let alone what I had to undo to repair that what I found while/what I was given to run in a Company truck.

It's like finding a Previous (devious?) drivers' dirty laundry bag - after being used to hide a rattle they used the bag tucked between panels to keep the DOT from finding (best left to the imagination) - only to have to report it and wait for the truck to become available - again - once the Questionaire's are filled out and Terminals' Shop releases it.

That console - in many ways, is your counterpoise once all the other fiberglass and support framework has been accounted for - sometimes, it's the very bracing that helps you survive the "Weed -Whacker" the truck becomes on some summer days of heavy rain and humidity that softens the wood and lowers limbs to the point of required trimming for rites of passage into the very place you have to deliver...

Then you rake up the leaves and yank out the branches and twigs left in the mirror mount and antenna assembly - and the bugs that were resting in it...while they unload...

You always will have some type of maintenance to do while you're there...

Reactions: Slowmover
Modern trucks suck for installing antennas. Here in the UK it's been a problem for at least 20 years I can think of. The last trucks I drove where you could put an antenna on and have it work OK with no issues were in the 1990s before the move to fibreglass and composite plastic mouldings everywhere in the quest for improved aerodynamics to save 0.0001MPG of fuel economy.

Manufacturers don't care and those that will install a mount do a crap job. The DAFs I drive have one on but it's on the rear of the cab and as we close couple much closer than US truckers do, typically 18" to 2ft gap between headboard and cab, unless you're pulling a flatbed or tanker trailer the headboard of the trailer detunes the antenna to hell and you're lucky to get a mile range.

Don't give up...

It is too bad that I couldn't leave with the pics of truck conditions many drivers put themselves in, let alone what I had to undo to repair that what I found while/what I was given to run in a Company truck.

It's like finding a Previous (devious?) drivers' dirty laundry bag - after being used to hide a rattle they used the bag tucked between panels to keep the DOT from finding (best left to the imagination) - only to have to report it and wait for the truck to become available - again - once the Questionaire's are filled out and Terminals' Shop releases it.

That console - in many ways, is your counterpoise once all the other fiberglass and support framework has been accounted for - sometimes, it's the very bracing that helps you survive the "Weed -Whacker" the truck becomes on some summer days of heavy rain and humidity that softens the wood and lowers limbs to the point of required trimming for rites of passage into the very place you have to deliver...

Then you rake up the leaves and yank out the branches and twigs left in the mirror mount and antenna assembly - and the bugs that were resting in it...while they unload...

You always will have some type of maintenance to do while you're there...

Giving up isn’t an issue. Wondering where I am, is.
Chasing rabbits down holes is an expectation.
Where I missed a turn (ignorance) is what’s dizzying.

Or, to return to heading up a forested creek, lost in the leaves. Turned sideways to flow. Now what? (Ha!).

Last edited:
Reactions: Handy Andy
Modern trucks suck for installing antennas. Here in the UK it's been a problem for at least 20 years I can think of. The last trucks I drove where you could put an antenna on and have it work OK with no issues were in the 1990s before the move to fibreglass and composite plastic mouldings everywhere in the quest for improved aerodynamics to save 0.0001MPG of fuel economy.

Manufacturers don't care and those that will install a mount do a crap job. The DAFs I drive have one on but it's on the rear of the cab and as we close couple much closer than US truckers do, typically 18" to 2ft gap between headboard and cab, unless you're pulling a flatbed or tanker trailer the headboard of the trailer detunes the antenna to hell and you're lucky to get a mile range.

I didn’t know if 2-Meter or some such may have been a form of border-crossing requirement where manufacturers thus had to put forth sufficient effort. An EU thing; etc. Making CB an easier install.

Your words about aero are a copy of what applies here. In its defense, the winds found across much of NA make attention to that worthy. The trucks are easier to handle (past mechanical changes).

All in all, no sensible observer would deny the importance of Truck-to-Truck communication. Or, as with ocean vessels, Ship-to-Shore.
Air-to-Ground.

The asswipes make it very clear this studied inattention their contempt. Fleet Owners & Manufacturers. Regulatory Agencies.

Any man might drive a truck.

Whereas commercial air transport, rail, or maritime is wholly another level of training. Thus, chokepoint.

Today is a day off. Couch controls activated. No work. Tomorrow and the following will see if improvements can be made.

As power, coax, and mounts were all “improved” (experiment) while on the road since last at-home a month ago, it’s a better morale starting point than usual.

Thanks all.

(Ha!)? There you go again...

Just don't run aground on the Rocks...

Getting under the truck is work. Getting back out and standing up is where — in knowing this will be repeated 5-6 times — one wishes to wave a white flag.

“Don’t give up”. Hell, son, it’ll be 97F in the shade under there.
The Hot Place. We know from birth. We’re practiced.

M0GVZ, one of the later-famous American Civil War generals (Phil Sheridan) said of his Texas Border Fort days:

“If I owned them both, I’d rent out Texas and live in Hell”.

(All is not temperature or humidity.
Any more than the race is to the swift & strong).

Gears engaged, release clutch slowly:

Getting to the top side of the box in 1:36.
Reaching for the big hole at 2:38.
Aaaand, . . .
Gravitational wave alignment
done.
ETA to Nebula Six at . . . .

Last edited:
Back to a pair of WILSON 2000 on 10” shafts (that’s what clears body) at factory cab mounts. On Hustler QDs.

“Changes” from stock truck otherwise:

1). 10/2 ANCOR Duplex inside FR split-look is fused to POS at BATT, and Neg to Frame.

2). Wilson Mini-8 Cophase with (2-ea) FT240-31 toroids per leg. Mini-UHF Male to S0-239 adaptors (thank you, Bob, at HRO-Phoenix!). (Factory co-phase had 6’ legs).

3). WM Speaker in port-side overhead and front console panel removed.

4). Sotabeam 4-way junction box to power it all. (Other items may not be permanent).

The above DOES provide a quieter receive.
Worth the effort. Antennas, Coax & Power.

Am going to use time at home to look into a rack under the overhead console. Keep coax & jumpers and power all better separated.

More experiment with total antenna length also needed.

Have added a scanner to see if I like using it (CB-only), and need to better install that out-of-the-way (see thread).

Last edited:
87F45232-7669-46BE-BF9B-E9FCEAE81D91.jpeg

Had the 980 set to Scan (antenna behind it), but that’s as lousy as the bc355 Bearcat with supplied interior antenna. (The Petro at Joplin, MO).

6310FA3B-BFE8-4E35-BDCD-0637AD26F8EF.jpeg

Back to a pair of Wilson 2000 on Hustler QD2.

With the MFJ-945e it’ll tune the pair to an indicated 90W Forward with 3.5W Reflected at 1.4-SWR.

I back it down a ways from there.

— Time at home I’ll try to get antenna length as good as possible. Whatever else seems good.

— Re-mount radio gear on a fabricated mount OUTSIDE console to avoid power & coax crossing over each other several times (cabinet confines).

I like the gear being used at present and don’t think I can improve performance further by using other (given big truck deficiencies & restrictions).

What I do with mounts is done. What I can do with coax is done. Hopefully, re-routing will help.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated